FYI: Lessloss Blackground Power Base - a filter for atmospheric radiation noise

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
From the Lessloss Website:

"....Enter BlackGround, our solution by which, when pairing real-time voltages in the sound system with the ground potential, we have in effect generated a continuous lower impedance path for the cosmic ionic particle 'rain' to follow. Any electrical discharge will always choose the lowest impedance path. It represents a lower impedance path because the BlackGround is always at the same voltage that the signals are at. In this sense we keep the resistance path between noisy atmospheric voltages and the ground at the lowest we can possibly muster. Thus, the noise from cosmic radiation chooses this path and is dealt with even before it interferes with the prized signals we want to protect from these interactions. In fact, because the path presented is in real time following the signal voltages, it can be said that the signals themselves now become the conductor for the foreign noise instead of succumbing to intermodulation by it....".

Last edited:

DeYoung

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2019
KY
Liudas is a clever guy.
Yes... and I'm beginning to think there's something in the designs worth looking into.
Call me crazy, but after having several of the Blackbody v.2 work my system, Ive been sufficiently impressed with the positive results that I'm seriously thinking of switching out all of my Synergistic Research cable loom for their C-MARC products.
https://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html

Last edited:

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Yes... and I'm beginning to think there's something in the designs worth looking into.
Call me crazy, but after having several of the Blackbody v.2 work my system, Ive been sufficiently impressed with the positive results that I'm seriously thinking of switching out all of my Synergistic Research cable loom for their C-MARC products.
https://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html
How do you have them hooked up?

DeYoung

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2019
KY
How do you have them hooked up?
I have one sitting on top of my amp which is on one rack and the other is near my turntable on the top shelf of my other rack.
Both facing near north and siting on there custom angled holders and grounded with C-marc grounding cables.
I'm not through experimenting with position ,but so far I'm happy where they are.

Reactions: Bbock

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
From the Lessloss Website:

"....Enter BlackGround, our solution by which, when pairing real-time voltages in the sound system with the ground potential, we have in effect generated a continuous lower impedance path for the cosmic ionic particle 'rain' to follow. Any electrical discharge will always choose the lowest impedance path. It represents a lower impedance path because the BlackGround is always at the same voltage that the signals are at. In this sense we keep the resistance path between noisy atmospheric voltages and the ground at the lowest we can possibly muster. Thus, the noise from cosmic radiation chooses this path and is dealt with even before it interferes with the prized signals we want to protect from these interactions. In fact, because the path presented is in real time following the signal voltages, it can be said that the signals themselves now become the conductor for the foreign noise instead of succumbing to intermodulation by it....".

I’m interested in hearing from owners of this new piece of gear from LessLoss?

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
I’m interested in hearing from owners of this new piece of gear from LessLoss?
My early impressions of the Blackground 10x Power Base...
Yes I am enjoying the LLBG10x very much. Most notably it's much easier to imagine the room in which the recording was made. This may be attributed to more precise layering of instruments & vocals and that lends itself to a deepening of the soundstage. Enhanced reverb adds to decay lingering longer. PB also creates a more revealing stereo presentation. I'm now able to hear details in my favorite tracks that I never heard before. Finally, and perhaps the first thing I noticed, bass from the REL became dominant and had to be backed down, however, the subwoofer sounded more nuanced and musical. In short, these changes were not subtle at all and improved SQ beyond my expectations. I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm gobsmacked!
My early impressions of the LessLoss Blackground 8x Dual Cannel Speaker Base
We'll, I must admit I wasn't prepared for how much the Blackground 8x Dual Channel Speaker Base would contribute to the already spectacular 10x Power Base. From the moment I heard the first track, I knew I was in for treat. It's as if you're able to reach out and hold each note & vocal in your hands. Never has the listening experience felt so tactile. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to pick up my jaw from off the floor!

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
My early impressions of the Blackground 10x Power Base...
Yes I am enjoying the LLBG10x very much. Most notably it's much easier to imagine the room in which the recording was made. This may be attributed to more precise layering of instruments & vocals and that lends itself to a deepening of the soundstage. Enhanced reverb adds to decay lingering longer. PB also creates a more revealing stereo presentation. I'm now able to hear details in my favorite tracks that I never heard before. Finally, and perhaps the first thing I noticed, bass from the REL became dominant and had to be backed down, however, the subwoofer sounded more nuanced and musical. In short, these changes were not subtle at all and improved SQ beyond my expectations. I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm gobsmacked!
My early impressions of the LessLoss Blackground 8x Dual Cannel Speaker Base
We'll, I must admit I wasn't prepared for how much the Blackground 8x Dual Channel Speaker Base would contribute to the already spectacular 10x Power Base. From the moment I heard the first track, I knew I was in for treat. It's as if you're able to reach out and hold each note & vocal in your hands. Never has the listening experience felt so tactile. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to pick up my jaw from off the floor!
Did you already have chassis or signal grounding devices in your system?

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
I'm of fairly modest means without lots of $$$ to burn, but have been so pleased with other LessLoss gear that I had to give these boxes a try. First the Power Base, then the 8x Dual Channel Speaker Base with upgraded C-MARC. SQ was already decent, however, LL took realism to another level. I can only imagine what 2 10x Mono Speaker Bases might sound like!

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
macf,

Is the speaker base shipping as yet, it states on LL site that it is an early bird presales. How do you have a unit already?

Was it more impressive than the 10x ground?

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
Louis is still offering early bird discounts even though the Speaker Bases are shipping as we speak. The 10x Power Base is not in the signal path, which in many ways, is more head scratching in terms of SQ improvement. The Speaker Base does get connected to L&R output of your amp. I'd say the 10x gets you 75% there in terms of reaching full potential of both. In my case, the 8x Dual Channel makes up the remaining 25%. However, the improvement the 8x adds feels like much more because you're left with a more "tactile, reach out & touch it" listening experience. Imagine yourself on stage or in the studio awaiting your solo rather than sitting in the audience. For most of us, music elicits an emotional response, but the 10x PB & 8x Dual Channel SB get you that much closer to the music. I'd imagine two Mono Channel Speaker Bases are even more mind blowing because it has been my experience LessLoss products are cumulative in their effect. Additionally, I noticed a very nice bump in performance when I switched out the complimentary LL Prime power cord with a C-MARC Entropic that I already had on-hand. I upgraded the other jumpers to C-MARC at time of purchase. Constantin at Atelier 13 Audio in Nashville, TN was extremely helpful & you can't match Louis Motek's excellent, responsive, passionate customer service from Lithuania. I really am gobsmacked!

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

Interestingly, reading and it seems the 10x and speaker bases possibly are best place close to, above/below source equipments to get the most impact over any other placements.

That may prove very challenging or impossible for me.

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
Thanks for the reply.

Interestingly, reading and it seems the 10x and speaker bases possibly are best place close to, above/below source equipments to get the most impact over any other placements.

That may prove very challenging or impossible for me.
I think proximity is more of a factor with the 10x however my 2 boxes are stacked on top of each other but sit beside my integrated amp with about 6ins between. Louis Motek said that would be just fine, and it certainly true. Unfortunately for me, that meant the beautiful wood enclosure cannot be seen. Mac F

AudioBear

Apr 29, 2015
We have also had the LessLoss Blackground 10x Power Base for a few months now and agree with MacF's description. We liked the Blackgound Power Base so much that we have also ordered the Blackground 8x Speaker Base. Sadly, like MacF, our Blackground is also hidden underneath the HiFi, so we also cannot see it... but needs must & they still work :)

We also have LessLoss mains cables, speaker cables, interconnects and Firewalls for speakers and mains. These have been added and indeed upgraded overtime and we think their effect is cumulative.

On most products (not sure about early bird stuff) they offer home delivery and a testing period with collection and return if required. The same applies to upgrades where they ship the new stuff (usually at a discount if upgrading) and also send the packaging to return the old stuff which is also collected, great service!

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
We have also had the LessLoss Blackground 10x Power Base for a few months now and agree with MacF's description. We liked the Blackgound Power Base so much that we have also ordered the Blackground 8x Speaker Base. Sadly, like MacF, our Blackground is also hidden underneath the HiFi, so we also cannot see it... but needs must & they still work :)

We also have LessLoss mains cables, speaker cables, interconnects and Firewalls for speakers and mains. These have been added and indeed upgraded overtime and we think their effect is cumulative.

On most products (not sure about early bird stuff) they offer home delivery and a testing period with collection and return if required. The same applies to upgrades where they ship the new stuff (usually at a discount if upgrading) and also send the packaging to return the old stuff which is also collected, great service!
I recall one of the professional reviewers saying he got his best results by placing his 10x vertically against the legs of his rack. The boxes themselves are so unique & beautifully finished that it’s a shame not to be able to look at them in full view. However, the overall improvement to SQ far exceeds any disappointment you may have from not finding the perfect location in your rack for the wooden boxes to be fully appreciated. Even if your room is benefitting from devices like power conditioners, grounding systems, passive & active acoustical treatments, you will very easily hear cues you never heard before in your most familiar tracks. Patience is required because the first handful of days will be up & down, but the payoff is well worth every minute of growing pains.

AudioBear

Apr 29, 2015
I recall one of the professional reviewers saying he got his best results by placing his 10x vertically against the legs of his rack. The boxes themselves are so unique & beautifully finished that it’s a shame not to be able to look at them in full view. However, the overall improvement to SQ far exceeds any disappointment you may have from not finding the perfect location in your rack for the wooden boxes to be fully appreciated. Even if your room is benefitting from devices like power conditioners, grounding systems, passive & active acoustical treatments, you will very easily hear cues you never heard before in your most familiar tracks. Patience is required because the first handful of days will be up & down, but the payoff is well worth every minute of growing pains.
Yes ours are not underneath our source components, which is a shame... We also had a bit of an 'up and down' break with the power ground which seemed to settle after a few weeks. Some have suggested proximity to the Hi-Fi source maybe connected to break in time?

MacF did you find the speaker ground the same as the power ground in terms of break in?

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
Yes ours are not underneath our source components, which is a shame... We also had a bit of an 'up and down' break with the power ground which seemed to settle after a few weeks. Some have suggested proximity to the Hi-Fi source maybe connected to break in time?

MacF did you find the speaker ground the same as the power ground in terms of break in?
In retrospect AudioBear, I do not remember the Speaker Base taking as much time to break in. Nor do I remember good days & bad days once the Speaker Base was added like I did with the Power Base before settling in. Perhaps this is due to the Power Base essentially treating the whole room (?) versus the Speaker Base which is placed in the signal path connected by short jumpers that I upgraded at time of purchase to C-MARC. Also, before I purchased the Power Base & Speaker Base, I contacted Sven Boenicke, who incorporates some of the LessLoss technology into his fine speakers, and he urged me to give the Power Base a really good power cord. So I switched around a few things to free up a C-MARC Entropic PC and to my ears, that made an instant improvement. I will trade in the complimentary LL Prime PC for another C-MARC Entropic. For what it's worth, I would jump on the Early Bird offer while it lasts and try either the 8x Dual Channel or 2 Mono Channel SB's because they are the perfect compliment to your Power Base. You can always return it within 30 days I believe. However, I seriously doubt you will want to do that! Meanwhile, I will continue to search for a alternative location that properly shows off their warm lovely appearance. Hope this feedback is helpful. MacF

AudioBear

Apr 29, 2015
In retrospect AudioBear, I do not remember the Speaker Base taking as much time to break in. Nor do I remember good days & bad days once the Speaker Base was added like I did with the Power Base before settling in. Perhaps this is due to the Power Base essentially treating the whole room (?) versus the Speaker Base which is placed in the signal path connected by short jumpers that I upgraded at time of purchase to C-MARC. Also, before I purchased the Power Base & Speaker Base, I contacted Sven Boenicke, who incorporates some of the LessLoss technology into his fine speakers, and he urged me to give the Power Base a really good power cord. So I switched around a few things to free up a C-MARC Entropic PC and to my ears, that made an instant improvement. I will trade in the complimentary LL Prime PC for another C-MARC Entropic. For what it's worth, I would jump on the Early Bird offer while it lasts and try either the 8x Dual Channel or 2 Mono Channel SB's because they are the perfect compliment to your Power Base. You can always return it within 30 days I believe. However, I seriously doubt you will want to do that! Meanwhile, I will continue to search for a alternative location that properly shows off their warm lovely appearance. Hope this feedback is helpful. MacF
Thanks MacF, the Speaker Base was already on order :) I will also look to upgrade the Prime power cable to C-Marc Entropic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing