Genesis 10th Anniversary Show: International CES 2013

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
To mark the beginning of our second decade in business, we are going to pull out all stops and make this a CES to remember. I've been avoiding bringing anything big to CES because ever since we moved to The Venetian, we couldn't pull a semi- up to the door and unload one of our big speakers. Well, this year my partners have finally convinced me that we need to show one of the Genesis line-source loudspeakers at CES. The room certainly isn't big enough for the Dragon, but thankfully we have Junior! Still, at over 6 feet tall and 220lbs, he's a big boy.

G2jr small.jpg

With a 48-inch midrange, 15 tweeters, two 12-inch woofers and 1000W built in servo-bass, the room is going to be barely large enough..... and might even be just a little too small. I'm always advocating the appropriate sized speaker for any room, and in this case, I'm going to bend my own rules a little..... but thankfully we can turn the bass gain down.

To match the back end, the front end is going to be the awesome TechDAS Air Force ONE. I discovered this turntable as my distributor in Hong Kong had one in the same room as the Genesis Dragon. Just last month, we demo'ed them together and knocked the socks of everyone who came in for a listen. Thanks to Nishikawa-san for sending me one to demo with!!

Air-Force-One-with-Phantom-and-HRS-base.jpg

This is the turntable that Harry Pearson calls "in a class by itself" and says "LPs played back on the Air Force ONE have a life that they just do not with any other table in our experience". http://www.hpsoundings.com/2012/11/review-capsule-air-force-one-turntable/

I'll update with the rest of the gear as things settle down. At the moment, the tonearm is still going to be a surprise. It's a new tonearm that is still in development by one of the greatest turntable/tonearm designers I know. He's still machining and sawing and filing away :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
look forward to reading all about it in Jan!!!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Bob Graham, right? It's been said he's building a specific arm for this table

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Good luck with the show, Gary!

I'm sure you'll have it set up beautifully.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Burmester PH100 Phono Stage - MC/MC + ADC

To match the Genesis 2 Junior and the Air Force ONE, what better than the superlative, wonderful, Burmester PH100 phono stage. I've made no secret that I fell in love with this unit early in 2012 and bought my own unit. For CES, since we will be hosting two arms and two cartridges, I had another MC module put in.

BURM-Open-top.jpg

Read the review by Jeff Dorgay (TonePub) here: http://www.tonepublications.com/review/the-burmester-100-phono/

BURM-front-view.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
-- Someone in the audience will 'lose the pedals' by going berserk,
and will grab the remote control with dire straight consequences?

No worries - we haven't blown a ribbon yet. One of the best demo tracks I found lately is Moten Swing on the Count Basie Album Me and You. It starts off simply with double bass and piano, then BAM the entire Basie Big Band band - with 5 trumpets, 4 trombones, 5 saxophones - come in triple fortissimo. If you don't know what's coming, you'll keep turning up the volume, and then jump out of your socks :D

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
To match the Genesis 2 Junior and the Air Force ONE, what better than the superlative, wonderful, Burmester PH100 phono stage. I've made no secret that I fell in love with this unit early in 2012 and bought my own unit. For CES, since we will be hosting two arms and two cartridges, I had another MC module put in.

View attachment 6991

Read the review by Jeff Dorgay (TonePub) here: http://www.tonepublications.com/review/the-burmester-100-phono/

View attachment 6990

Sweet....

Did you not use the same unit last year at RMAF 2011 Gary..?

Review out of Germany,
http://www.hifistatement.net/de/tests/item/735-burmester-phono-preamp-100

Last edited:

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
No worries - we haven't blown a ribbon yet. One of the best demo tracks I found lately is Moten Swing on the Count Basie Album Me and You. It starts off simply with double bass and piano, then BAM the entire Basie Big Band band - with 5 trumpets, 4 trombones, 5 saxophones - come in triple fortissimo. If you don't know what's coming, you'll keep turning up the volume, and then jump out of your socks :D

I'm most worried about popping an output stage than a Ribbon , Must give that reecording a listen ,

thanks ...

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing