Genesis 200 'Updgrade'

Aug 3, 2021
Hi everyone

After reading the thread about the GII upgrade, I have decided to upgrade my G200, starting with recapping the amp.

I see there are 8 x 10,000uF 100V camps made by Jamicon. I am unable to find a reseller for Jamicon caps, but there are same spec ones with varying prices.
The one I am looking at is ALC70A103EH100 by Kemet - 10,000 uF 100V 80 Deg C and 18,000 hour life. These ones seem to be readily stocked and available.

Does anyone have any comments on the suitability of this Kemet capacitor? Or can suggest a more suitable one?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
All the caps that we've tried, and that I've recommended have already been covered in the G-II thread. Kemet also makes decent quality capacitors, but I have not used that particular specification. From what I can see in the spec sheet, it is a good quality general purpose cap:

Reactions: K3RMIT and Frank750
Aug 3, 2021
All the caps that we've tried, and that I've recommended have already been covered in the G-II thread. Kemet also makes decent quality capacitors, but I have not used that particular specification. From what I can see in the spec sheet, it is a good quality general purpose cap:

Thanks for the reply Gary,
The GII thread mentions the Nichicon caps, which I can't find in 10000uF 100V.
In fact, the Kemet seems to be the only ones available in that spec.
Since the spec are ok, I will go ahead with those.

Thanks

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020

Thanks
For me kemet may alter the sound. try other suppliers to get a closer sound to stock. specs do not equate to a given sound. I can say this from experience . Just saying
also get caps made in the USA or Japan and a few other places. just giving you an alt view

Aug 3, 2021
For me kemet may alter the sound. try other suppliers to get a closer sound to stock. specs do not equate to a given sound. I can say this from experience . Just saying
also get caps made in the USA or Japan and a few other places. just giving you an alt view
I have tried the usual suspects of Digikey, Mouser, and some local suppliers. All have the Kemet in stock and nothing else.
Do you know of a supplier who might stock the caps?

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014

Thanks
Are you CERTAIN they are 100 volt caps? My hunch is they are not and the reason you cannot locate the Nichicons as supplied in my G2 amp. Should be 10000uf @80v.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
I have tried the usual suspects of Digikey, Mouser, and some local suppliers. All have the Kemet in stock and nothing else.
Do you know of a supplier who might stock the caps?
Post specs and pics if you have. I maybe able to help

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Need pics of other side of caps to see info
run , made in
also if you have actual specs
I assume they are solder in not screw downs. you have room for height I see

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Do you think it should be 80V but they just used 100V because they had it? Or do you think this amp may be a different design?
Unfortunately, I have no idea. All the records were lost when the previous company closed down and we had a hard time with some of the old products. That's why I had to re-design almost everything.

Check the power supply rails from the bridge. The 100V caps may have been installed because they did not have 80V ones handy, or a previous owner "upgraded" the unit.

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
How about you show a picture of your amp, and someone with the same amp can verify what the caps are. Gary, haven't you worked on these amps in the past at all??? From what I gather, this is a G200 not a G2. Some of the info is conflicting.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
How about you show a picture of your amp, and someone with the same amp can verify what the caps are. Gary, haven't you worked on these amps in the past at all??? From what I gather, this is a G200 not a G2. Some of the info is conflicting.
All the ones we have worked on have 80V caps. Not sure why the OP has 100V caps in the amp.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
George Meyer AV in LA has worked on a few of these at least (they have one of mine at the moment). Perhaps they could offer an opinion. Believe this amp was originally made by Cullen Circuits. They're closed now, and I lost track of Rick Cullen.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Curious what other ‘upgrades’ you plan for your 200s after recapping the amp? Do folks have a view on whether the passive crossover in the base of the mid/tweeter panels need recapping. I inspect mine periodically and they appear fine. I have always assumed that the absence of heat means a much longer life for the components.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing