Genesis 200 'Updgrade'

Aug 3, 2021
Curious what other ‘upgrades’ you plan for your 200s after recapping the amp? Do folks have a view on whether the passive crossover in the base of the mid/tweeter panels need recapping. I inspect mine periodically and they appear fine. I have always assumed that the absence of heat means a much longer life for the components.

Maybe upgrade was the wrong word.
But I've seen in the G2 thread that people have recapped their amps, rebuilt their XO, and replaced the switches/knobs etc.
These seems rather inexpensive on the scale of things, so decided to start with the amp.
Hadn't anticipated this 80V/100V problem though.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
It’s been a while since I read (and even posted to) the G2 thread …. Probably should give it a re-read. Memory ain’t what it’s used to be. I think upgrades are good. In my many years of owning the G200, about the only upgrade was replacing the woofer servo cables. Sounded better, but the big benefit was in getting rid of that large pile of cable LOL. Other than that it’s been about keeping them working. I’ve long kept an eye peeled for a set of true G201. Haven’t seen a single set for sale. Plenty of the 200/201’transition’ model, buts that’s what I already have. Perhaps not all that many sets of the 201 got sold.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021
Check the power supply rails from the bridge. The 100V caps may have been installed because they did not have 80V ones handy, or a previous owner "upgraded" the unit.
I have measured the voltage across the caps an I measure appox 70VDC. Presumably it's +70VDC across 1 rail and -70VDC across the other rail.
Does this seem correct?
So it appears this should have 80V caps but either 100V caps was used, or was replaced at some stage with 100V caps.

The date code appears to be 040C2(M) but I have not been able to find out what date this is.
Anyone know how to convert this to a date?

scalnajim

Sep 1, 2021
All the caps that we've tried, and that I've recommended have already been covered in the G-II thread. Kemet also makes decent quality capacitors, but I have not used that particular specification. From what I can see in the spec sheet, it is a good quality general purpose cap:

I have spent the day researching caps and I came across another cap By KEMET (ALC10S1104DL)
It’s an audio grade cap that is 35mm in diameter but is 30 mm taller at 80 mm but observing the space inside the amplifier there’s plenty of room for these caps, they also have an exponentially longer lifespan 15,000 hours, 20% tolerance, snap in, 10mm lead spacing.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
kement were dark when I tried them and specs alone don’t make a good sounding cap. Think of mundorf good cross over bad psu cap again first hand events I speak of.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I have spent the day researching caps and I came across another cap By KEMET (ALC10S1104DL)
It’s an audio grade cap that is 35mm in diameter but is 30 mm taller at 80 mm but observing the space inside the amplifier there’s plenty of room for these caps, they also have an exponentially longer lifespan 15,000 hours, 20% tolerance, snap in, 10mm lead spacing.
And you told me 50 mOhm ESR. That's a good find. Potentially a very good cap for the power supply. At 80mm, that's taller than most amplifiers will accommodate, but the round-front G2000 amp will fit.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
kement were dark when I tried them and specs alone don’t make a good sounding cap. Think of mundorf good cross over bad psu cap again first hand events I speak of.
Just because it is a Kemet does not make them dark. This is in a PSU.

Aug 3, 2021
I too came to the same conclusion and have purchased those caps for the same reason.
I went with 80V instead of 100V. Based on what Gary has said and my measurements, I think they are meant to be 80V.
Will get them in in the next week or 2 hopefully.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing