Genesis 300 issues

Nyle H

Nov 16, 2019
Hello wondering if someone can shed some light on an issue Iam having with my original pair of Genesis 300’s? The issue Iam having is once in a while when I power up the amplifier the system goes into full oscillation for some reason and I quickly power it down. I think I have narrowed it down to the audioquest speakon cables that came with the system. It did take the connectors off to have a peak to see if there where any loose connections but didn’t find any. Can I replace these cables myself with standard 4 conductor cable and keep the pin outs the same and will it work? Looks like the woofers are on pins 1+/- and the servo is on pins 2+/- any help with this would be greatly appreciated thanks

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Nyle I would reach out to Gary Koh who posts on this forum, or via the Genesis website. He is super supportive of owners of legacy speakers :).

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Nyle H

Nov 16, 2019
Hi Nyle,

See here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/upgrading-the-servo-bass-cable.7154/

Since the servo-bass cable is inside the feedback loop, oscillation can and does occur. There is great risk of damage to your woofers and the servo-bass amplifier if you get the cable done wrong.
Hi Gary
Thanks for the info maybe I should just buy some new cables. I do really love these speakers and would hate to see them damaged due to a simple miss wiring of the servo

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Gary
Thanks for the info maybe I should just buy some new cables. I do really love these speakers and would hate to see them damaged due to a simple miss wiring of the servo

Give us a call in the office - 206 762 8383 and we will get you taken care of.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hello wondering if someone can shed some light on an issue Iam having with my original pair of Genesis 300’s? The issue Iam having is once in a while when I power up the amplifier the system goes into full oscillation for some reason and I quickly power it down. I think I have narrowed it down to the audioquest speakon cables that came with the system. It did take the connectors off to have a peak to see if there where any loose connections but didn’t find any. Can I replace these cables myself with standard 4 conductor cable and keep the pin outs the same and will it work? Looks like the woofers are on pins 1+/- and the servo is on pins 2+/- any help with this would be greatly appreciated thanks
I have heard the genesis 300 and they are nice speakers.

Reactions: garylkoh

Richardp

Feb 15, 2022
I have an issue with my ribbon on the right speaker. Does anyone know who can repair it?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have an issue with my ribbon on the right speaker. Does anyone know who can repair it?
Hi Richard,
Unfortunately, the old midranges cannot be repaired. At over 25 years old, the diaphragm is either worn out or stretched. Both could cause distortion. We have upgraded midrange drivers that I re-designed and they will drop right in.

However, given the age of your speakers, you should also have your Servo amp re-capped. A short in one of the power capacitors could have disastrous results.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Steveo

Oct 2, 2021
Is it the midrange ribbon you are having issue with? Is it crackling or vibrating? A friend here in the Milwaukee area recently obtained a pair of Gen 1’s…spectacular speaker. He was experiencing a disturbing sibilant sound from the left midrange. After much research an individual familiar with driver’s mechanics, suggested he tighten the mounting screws traveling the perimeter of the ribbon. He did just that, and now has a trouble free, exceptional pair of Gen 1’s. He was told by a Genesis dealer that the driver was damaged and would require replacement. The recommendation to replace both mid’s and full set of tweeters would price in at over 100 grand.
I hope your issue is so easily resolved.

Richardp

Feb 15, 2022
Is it the midrange ribbon you are having issue with? Is it crackling or vibrating? A friend here in the Milwaukee area recently obtained a pair of Gen 1’s…spectacular speaker. He was experiencing a disturbing sibilant sound from the left midrange. After much research an individual familiar with driver’s mechanics, suggested he tighten the mounting screws traveling the perimeter of the ribbon. He did just that, and now has a trouble free, exceptional pair of Gen 1’s. He was told by a Genesis dealer that the driver was damaged and would require replacement. The recommendation to replace both mid’s and full set of tweeters would price in at over 100 grand.
I hope your issue is so easily resolved.
Steveo, THANK YOU, for your response. Problem solved without having to spend $10,000. I just tightened the mounting screws and problem solved. Thank you again, I just wish the folks at Genesis were as forthcoming. Disappointing. Love my speakers!

Steveo

Oct 2, 2021
Steveo, THANK YOU, for your response. Problem solved without having to spend $10,000. I just tightened the mounting screws and problem solved. Thank you again, I just wish the folks at Genesis were as forthcoming. Disappointing. Love my speakers!
Hi Richardp...so happy this has resolved your driver issue. I would like to suggest the screw tension might affect the tonality; so you may want to experiment with the tightness. Also, check the screws mounting the tweet's and woofers. Through normal usage, they may have worked themselves loose...if only an 1/8 to 1/4 turn. The Gen's are remarkable speakers. Enjoy.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Although I do try, it is hard for me to know everything. The G300's were made in 1996 and I have not had the chance to take apart those midranges to see what gives. It sounds like the wood substrate has loosened, and tightening the screws resolved one problem. I will put this in the list of instructions for my techs to suggest to other owners of these speakers.

While you are checking the screws mounting the tweeters and woofers, I would also rotate the woofers by 180 degrees. Over time, gravity takes its toll on the suspension of the woofers and they sag. Turning them upside-down will get them to last a few more years.

While you are at it, you might want to check out the rest of my posts in this forum as I make some suggestions to improve your speakers that would cost you practically nothing.

Reactions: bryans

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing