Genesis IM-8200 Question

regiolanthe

Dec 3, 2018
Hi - Quick question. Bought a pair of Genesis IM-8200's that I am going to resell on Craigslist. Picked them up at a budget price from another CL ad, and then had them re-foamed by the OTHER Genesis guy (Human Speakers - he's local). Just have them hooked up to my midfi system - should have plenty of power to drive them. One speaker is significantly louder than the other - for example in vocals. The guy who re-foamed them did say he had to tighten up the binding posts in the interior of one speaker - so maybe they came loose again? But it's not the signal is dropping out completely. The other thing I noticed was a piece of electrical tape around one of the Bass Extension Fuses (which I guess would be removed if these were paired with the partner sub). Not sure if this would have any bearing on volume or not. I'd like to figure it out - so was wondering if anyone had insight. I am NOT one to tear apart a speaker to check the innards out, so if worst comes to worst, I guess I'll take them back to have the speaker guy look at them again. Just wondering if anyone had any obvious thoughts/input they could share. Thanks - geo.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
These speakers are unfortunately so old (1993) that we don't have the much to go on. The original owner's manual should be on our website under "Archaeology". Here's a direct link: https://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/support/archeology/

The "Bass Extension" changes the Q of the high-pass on the woofer to extend the bass or not. Fuse in: more extension, Fuse out: less extension. It should not change the volume in the midrange.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing