Getting a good deal on a vintage Sansui amp and speakers. What to look for before buying?

Feb 16, 2019
I'm getting a good deal on a vintage Sansui A7 Integrated DC servo amplifier and Sansui S510 speakers. I got to know about the sale through an acquaintance, but I don't know the seller personally. I had a brief chat with him online and he claims it is '100% working'. Same for the speakers..just that they may be 7/10 cosmetically. I'm going to his place this weekend.
After haggling a bit he agreed to sell the amp and speakers for $75. What should I be looking for in the amp and speakers before I pay him? It's not a lot of money, but I don't want to end up with junk to fill up my space. Since I have no prior experience with vintage audio equipment, I'm not sure what all I should be checking.
Those having experience in buying vintage audio gear, can you please advise?
I got these pics from the internet for reference.
Sansui A7 Amplifier (45w/ch, THD 0.05%) : Sansui S-510 speakers :

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Well, the left speaker's woofer dust cap is busted. It can be fixed.

The old Sansui receiver is . . . old, so it must be dusty I bet inside and the parts not in their best shiny original performance.

Hey, 75 bucks will get you what today, an old Sansui stereo receiver plus an old pair of speakers, with dust and a busted dust cap? All those RCA jacks will need some cleanup too, and inside.
Turn the volume loud enough, listen to some quiet music, if you hear distortion affecting your $75 you'll know best.

You don't have an uncle Bob who can give you better and for free?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing