Getting around to Room Treatments... Finally...

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Since yesterday afternoon or so, I've been actively researching something I've never bothered with before, treating my room which is said to be more effective than swapping equipment, which I can completely understand.

Naturally, the first company I looked at is GIK Acoustics. I was prepared to be shocked at the prices of the various panels and such, and I was, but shocked in a different way... Shocked at how affordable their products are! Granted, they're not bargain basement cheap, but they're certainly not expensive either. Think of them price-wise to a pair of decent interconnect upgrades, and more than likely much larger sound improvements than those new interconnects.

So anyway, after looking around on GIK's site, I went ahead and filled out their "Free Advice" form and submitted it with a set of pictures of my current 11.5' x 15.5' x 8' room setup. One thing I forgot to mention on that form was the fact that this is an old house, so all of the walls and ceiling are plaster, which obviously is harder than regular drywall. But I did mention the wood floors and the fact that I put down a 6' x 8' shag area rug to help reduce/eliminate those first reflections off of the floor, which it did quite well. That and that I have IsoAcoustic ISO-200 subwoofer isolators under the subs which definitely helped clean and tighten up the bass.

I run open baffle loudspeakers (GR Research X-Statik's) and dual subs. Surprisingly, everything sounds pretty darn good, especially after adding the area rug, but there's still just that last 10% that I want to chase down. I still have minor imaging, sound staging and phasing issues which I can hear as I move a foot or so forwards or backwards in my listening position. Some of it sounds a little bit like out of phase echo. And as for bass, I sit in a bit of a null. It's a little quieter and weaker where I sit, but move a foot forwards or backwards, the bass gets a little stronger and possibly a little deeper, but not boomy.

Again, I've never dealt with room treatments before, but one thing I picked up on pretty quickly is that behind the speakers, I would want absorption/diffusive panels to still get the benefits of the rear wave of the open baffle loudspeakers. But other than that, I'll leave that up to the ones in the know.

Here's the pictures that I submitted...

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm surprised you aren't running the OB subs. Those speakers got REAL popular this last week.

Reactions: Chops

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
I'm surprised you aren't running the OB subs. Those speakers got REAL popular this last week.

I guess you're referring to Danny's YouTube video last week about the X-Statik kits?

The ones I have are the original boys from the early release batch from AV123 from 12 years ago. About 4 or 5 years ago though, I fully upgraded the crossovers and added No-Rez per Danny's recommendations.

As for OB subs, as much as I'd love to, I just don't have a large enough room. Having those tall OB subs along side the mains would simply be too much clutter, hence why I would be going with Rhythmic Audio F12G sealed servo subs instead. BTW, the "G" stands for GR Research as that model uses Danny's specific light weight driver, for even better speed and accuracy.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
The bare wood ZR Acoustics "Sample Rate" panels, which look like wall art and are superior to conventional acoustic treatments would both improve the acoustics by eliminating reflections and add interest to your bare walls. IMG_0961.jpg IMG_0851-1.jpg IMG_0851-1.jpg

Reactions: Al M.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Chops, you catch me reading this while I, ahem, chop, 75mm thick sheeps wool insulation battens to make up my corner traps. A good excuse for a break and a beer Lol.

Reactions: Chops and Bobvin

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I guess you're referring to Danny's YouTube video last week about the X-Statik kits?

The ones I have are the original boys from the early release batch from AV123 from 12 years ago. About 4 or 5 years ago though, I fully upgraded the crossovers and added No-Rez per Danny's recommendations.

As for OB subs, as much as I'd love to, I just don't have a large enough room. Having those tall OB subs along side the mains would simply be too much clutter, hence why I would be going with Rhythmic Audio F12G sealed servo subs instead. BTW, the "G" stands for GR Research as that model uses Danny's specific light weight driver, for even better speed and accuracy.
the speakers listed in your signature are Klipsch and JL Audio. You might want to update?

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
the speakers listed in your signature are Klipsch and JL Audio. You might want to update?
That is updated, just a few days ago in fact. Though I should update it again and remove the JL's as I think I'm going to sell them and try something else. Most likely those Rythmik subs I mentioned.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
what happened to the Logans that were in the mix ??

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
That is updated, just a few days ago in fact. Though I should update it again and remove the JL's as I think I'm going to sell them and try something else. Most likely those Rythmik subs I mentioned.
I still see Klipsch and JL in your signature…

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Are you done yet? Because you're sure as heck not funny.
I'm not trying to be funny, sorry if it comes across that way. I am trying to figure out what the speakers are in your room picture; if you look at the signature under each of your posts, it still says your speakers are Klipsch and JL.

"Charles
Preamplifier | Amplifiers: Schiit Freya + | Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
DAC | Digital Source: Schiit Bifrost 2 Multibit | Raspberry Pi 4
Speakers | Subwoofers: Klipsch RP-8000F | JL Audio e110 x 2
Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio, APC
Cables: Wireworld, Pangea Audio, Monster, Tara Lab"

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
I'm not trying to be funny, sorry if it comes across that way. I am trying to figure out what the speakers are in your room picture; if you look at the signature under each of your posts, it still says your speakers are Klipsch and JL.

"Charles
Preamplifier | Amplifiers: Schiit Freya + | Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
DAC | Digital Source: Schiit Bifrost 2 Multibit | Raspberry Pi 4
Speakers | Subwoofers: Klipsch RP-8000F | JL Audio e110 x 2
Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio, APC
Cables: Wireworld, Pangea Audio, Monster, Tara Lab"
The pictures in this thread are over a year old. My system has changed considerably since then. The speakers in those pics above are the fully modified/upgraded GR-Research X-Statik's, the subwoofers are Polk Audio PSW-505's.

Below is the current setup.

Reactions: witchdoctor

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Ahh. The room treatment “needs” will be quite different with your current setup than for the one in the original pictures. Thank you.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Ahh. The room treatment “needs” will be quite different with your current setup than for the one in the original pictures. Thank you.

agreed, my ears are already bleeding !

Charles (Chops / cube-tube) you for sure win the award for 'changing on the fly' ! it's good to know you don't believe in long break-in times !!

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
agreed, my ears are already bleeding !

Charles (Chops / cube-tube) you for sure win the award for 'changing on the fly' ! it's good to know you don't believe in long break-in times !!
Wrong and wrong.

First off, these Klipsch do not have the typical Klipsch sound. In fact, they sound nothing like Klipsch except for their efficiency and dynamics. They are by no means honky, bright or forward and in your face. They're very balanced in that regard actually. And if things go as planned, I'll probably be building new crossovers for these to convert them to a 2.5-way system instead of the current 2-way that they are now. These new crossovers will also fix a nasty frequency null at the crossover point as well as a nasty impedance peak.

And as for break-in, my system literally stays up and running 24/7, even when we're at work and/or in bed asleep. Music is always playing, so break-in flies by fairly quickly. Not to mention I usually keep speakers for years and just swap them out from time to time from my collection.

So please, don't go assuming things about me and my system, because we all know what that means for you...

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Wrong and wrong.

First off, these Klipsch do not have the typical Klipsch sound. In fact, they sound nothing like Klipsch except for their efficiency and dynamics. They are by no means honky, bright or forward and in your face. They're very balanced in that regard actually. And if things go as planned, I'll probably be building new crossovers for these to convert them to a 2.5-way system instead of the current 2-way that they are now. These new crossovers will also fix a nasty frequency null at the crossover point as well as a nasty impedance peak.

And as for break-in, my system literally stays up and running 24/7, even when we're at work and/or in bed asleep. Music is always playing, so break-in flies by fairly quickly. Not to mention I usually keep speakers for years and just swap them out from time to time from my collection.

So please, don't go assuming things about me and my system, because we all know what that means for you...

no assumptions, your posts and all the changes tell me all I need to know and that's A-OK, your system(s) , your ears !

Having owned those very same speakers in a HT set up years ago my comments were not assumptions rather my own personal experience, which is obviously different than yours, all good !

so is your analog / vinyl experiment over as well ?

Reactions: analogsa

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
no assumptions, your posts and all the changes tell me all I need to know
You obviously have no clue how to pay attention to time lines then, because you certainly don't know anything about my system.

And yes, all you say are assumptions. If these speakers were horrible in your system, then you need to reevaluate your horrible system, not the speakers, especially since what you say about them is the exact opposite of what everyone else says about them, including me.

But apparently, you "think" you know more about ME and MY system than I do, so I'll just leave it there. I'll no longer waste my time with you and your useless nonsense.

• Wow
Reactions: twitch

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
You obviously have no clue how to pay attention to time lines then, because you certainly don't know anything about my system.

And yes, all you say are assumptions. If these speakers were horrible in your system, then you need to reevaluate your horrible system, not the speakers, especially since what you say about them is the exact opposite of what everyone else says about them, including me.

But apparently, you "think" you know more about ME and MY system than I do, so I'll just leave it there. I'll no longer waste my time with you and your useless nonsense.

Charlie, you've blown this way out of proportion, regardless Happy Listening !

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Charlie, you've blown this way out of proportion, regardless Happy Listening !
Don't be an ass. That's not my name.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: twitch and bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing