Glanz 12 inch tone arm

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
2 options presented itself all of a sudden. I have an opportunity to acquire a Glanz MH-124S premium for a nice price or I can acquire the newer model the MH1200 S for less than 1/2 the price of the premium. My impression is that the MH-124S premium is an iteration of the older Glanz models which has been superseded. Need advice from learned fellow enthusiasts. Pricing aside, is the the MH124S premium a better arm than the newer MH1200S ?

Thanks

Reactions: bonzo75

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Thanks for the quick reply. Now to play some mind games to justify to myself

108CY

May 4, 2013
I am very fond of both Glanz tonearms they both are very capable, obviously choosing any arm will come down to turntable and cartridge and ones system. Having listened to both on a variety of turntables the 124 premium to my ears has a lack of grain it certainly provides more music it has tremendous weight and scale. In comparison the 1200 while is not hard or aggressive is not as poised and has a metallic sound in the midrange on comparison but the 1200 is wonderful in isolation it has a great sence of speed but this is changed by the 124 premiums weight and scale and texture. As I value lack of grain and the way it renders a piano say while it may be a tiny bit slower but the premium makes up for it when it comes to size and sheer weight and scale its quite impressive musicaly. The 1200 is a trememdous bargain really in comparison and should not be dismissed but the 124 premium does overall give more the 124 premium is more nuanced of the two. In this regard I actually preffer the original 124s over the 1200 the 124s is quite impressive in this regard but still overall not in the same class as the Premium 124. Overall I find the 124 premium a better balanced tonearm and a nicer listen in majority of systems but both are excellent in many regards and I would certainly not dismiss the original 124s over 1200 either as they are quite different too. If I could afford the Premium over the 1200 yes I would purchase it but being who I am would quite likely want both and also the 124s as I do love its sence of speed and vibrancy but if had to make a choice and could afford it the 124 premium would be the one I would go for as I like the overall balance

Last edited:

108CY

May 4, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply. Now to play some mind games to justify to myself

We all need to some degree justify our new toys these are serious decisions.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: joeling

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I am very fond of both Glanz tonearms they both are very capable, obviously choosing any arm will come down to turntable and cartridge and ones system. Having listened to both on a variety of turntables the 124 premium to my ears has a lack of grain it certainly provides more music it has tremendous weight and scale. In comparison the 1200 while is not hard or aggressive is not as poised and has a metallic sound in the midrange on comparison but the 1200 is wonderful in isolation it has a great sence of speed but this is changed by the 124 premiums weight and scale and texture. As I value lack of grain and the way it renders a piano say while it may be a tiny bit slower but the premium makes up for it when it comes to size and sheer weight and scale its quite impressive musicaly. The 1200 is a trememdous bargain really in comparison and should not be dismissed but the 124 premium does overall give more the 124 premium is more nuanced of the two. In this regard I actually preffer the original 124s over the 1200 the 124s is quite impressive in this regard but still overall not in the same class as the Premium 124. Overall I find the 124 premium a better balanced tonearm and a nicer listen in majority of systems but both are excellent in many regards and I would certainly not dismiss the original 124s over 1200 either as they are quite different too. If I could afford the Premium over the 1200 yes I would purchase it but being who I am would quite likely want both and also the 124s as I do love its sence of speed and vibrancy but if had to make a choice and could afford it the 124 premium.
This kind of post based on experience, well measured, considering strengths etc. is so useful!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing