Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It looks like a "must miss" to me, too.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This one is number 35 from that franchise, third from USA, all the others are from Japan.

From wikizilla:
https://wikizilla.org/wiki/List_of_Godzilla_movies

Godzilla is popular @ the box office; both in Japan and in the USA.
This radio active nuclear monster with a very bad breath is a moneymaker machine.
___

Extra: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla

The first original one (1954)

___

The two prior films, made in Hollywood, USA (1998 and 2014):

They both made lots of money (over $half billion for the 2014 version); the 1998 version is funny, the 2014 one is the better one, and in 3D (Blu-ray).

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think one has to have been a real Godzilla fan in his or her youth to really want to see this one. All I know is that I watched the forst just because Olsen is a cutie LOL. The selling point is the other monsters in the Godzilla canon. Personally I wasn't that big on the Big G as a kid so I'm not excited.

The only Godzillas that excite me are of the Nissan GTR variety :D

I have to admit however that as a fan of sound design I get a kick out of Godzilla's iconic roar every single time. Basically it is the sound of a creaking metal gate modified into that roar. Trivia!

Reactions: jeff1225

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like these monstrous beast type movies ever since I saw King Kong in 1976 in a fully packed movie house and I was seated in the balcony section yet can feel the awesome power of Kong. I saw the 2014 version of Godzilla and I remember a few things about it, and I'm waiting for this one next May.

The beast is an icon in Japan and saw this in my 2016 trip to Tokyo. The owner of the building must be a big fan of GZ. :D

20160709_1222411.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's pretty cool, with the cracks in the building.
A very popular monster indeed, the King of the monsters, in Japan from 1954, only 64 years ago.
_____

1954 - "In late 1953, the FCC adopted the RCA compatible system, commonly referred to as the NTSC system. The first color television sets for this system were sold in 1954. They used a 15 inch screen. Later that year, 19 inch sets were made, and by 1955 all sets were made with a 21 inch picture tube."

1945 - (Nine years earlier)

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I am as embarrassed to admit that I enjoyed the last two big theater Godzilla movies, as I am that my Mom caught me with a girlie magazine in my youth. I'm sure I'll enjoy this one, too, and would love seeing it in IMAX in the front rows. Godzilla soap opera is hilarious, from monster to world savior.

Go, Godzirra!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I love Godzilla.....guilty pleasure. There have been attempts to update the monster and horror movies we enjoyed in our youth. One of my favorites was Penny Dreadful.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The last one (2014) was fun. The audio soundtrack is dynamite and the 3D effects are not bad.

The 1998 one was also fun, more comedy oriented. It has some good action scenes, and impressive CGI effects. ...But not as good as the 2014 version with a more "poignant" script.

I'm looking forward to this new one just for the fun of it, because Godzilla is King of the monsters, ahead of Kong.

It's nice to be young @ heart and have fun in life on Earth before we go to heaven for eternity.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Another film I like is 'Cloverfield' (2008) ...An interesting concept inspired by Godzilla, and an interesting history behind it. ...Google it if you're into it. I also like its prequel (2016), '10 Cloverfield Lane'.

Hey, I like monster movies. They reflect well monster people.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Oops sorry, wrong clip.

I remember years ago when I went to see the Sea Lions on the beach on the Peninsula at the reserve. They studied one male brute Sea Lion, who was the biggest, baddest one in Sea Lion fights. However, he couldn't get or keep a harem because in spite of his prowess and size, he had a flitty, weak bellow and diminutive voice.

The roar is muy importante.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing