Going Rhodium Free?

shapo

Jul 5, 2018
So some members here have been talking about how Rhodium free for a more natural sound. It seems intriguing to me and I'm wondering how feasible it is with the current market selection of cable connectors and other parts? Most manufacturers seem to use it?

Which brands/lines use it and which ones don't? Is it worth it?

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
It's not particularly difficult. I don't have a hint of rhodium in my system. Most of the rhodium seems to be from Furutech power connectors. Shunyata is top end and doesn't use the stuff so problem solved.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
As much as I generally dislike the sound of rhodium connectors, undertaking a project to eliminate all rhodium connectors should not be a knee-jerk reaction. Try eliminating one or two items at a time. I found that the AC cables I use for my subwoofers have rhodium connectors and sounded quite good for that application whereas they were indeed undesirable for any other part of my system.

Reactions: CKKeung

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
AudioQuest has a trio of powercord connectors and a duplex outlet made of 'Hanging-Silver directly over Pure Red Copper'.. (Gold-plated ones, too.)
https://www.audioquest.com/ac-power/ac-power-plugs/nrg-1000-wall-plug
https://www.audioquest.com/ac-power/ac-power-outlets/nrg-edison-duplex-wall-outlet

The duplex appears to be very well made and makes TIGHT connections, and the cable ends are well made. I've been converting my system slowly from Furutechs to these AQs. I'm definitely not enough of a GEA to recognize the results of each cable or outlet change, but my system has gotten less bright and more warmly balanced* from these and many other changes over the last year and a half at the same time as it's gotten more transparent.. I've been using top-of-the-line Neotec UPOCC-copper cable for several years but have some new, hi-gage Sonic Craft stuff coming to feed the main poweramps.

* a highly welcomed characteristic :) .. My priorities on selecting audio equipment and parts are about 60% transparency and 40% natural musical warmth.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It's not just rhodium, the base material makes a huge difference. Rhodium over brass or bronze will indeed produce some interesting effects, IME it varies but most of the time doesn't sound good. IMO you're better off with gold plating over brass or bronze parts. With all platings the quality of the plating it's self varies quite a bit, not all rhodium platings are equal and same with gold or anything else.

IMO these generalizations are unhelpful and actually misleading, like making generalized statements about avoiding tube amps, or that ported bass cabs suck, or cone 'n' dome speaker can't be dynamic, or whatever... it's just never the truth. There is an issue here, that of people attributing changes in sound to something based on correlation, but of course correlation /= causation and this mistake is made extremely often in audio. I can assure you that with properly made and implemented connectors that rhodium it's self is not an issue. Gold plating on the other hand produces a similar character of fuzzy warmth no matter what material it is applied to.

So, when you switch from a high quality, pure copper rhodium plated connector to any gold plated connector you are trading clarity for warmth. In many systems reducing warmth and enhancing clarity will reveal more of the negative qualities inherent in the system or the recordings you listen to. This is part of the reason you hear so many different negative descriptions of the sound of "rhodium". In most cases the issue is not rhodium, it's either the base material or it's simply revealing deficiencies in the sound that were previously masked.

Look, there's tons of folks here who use and prefer rhodium and I'm 99.9% sure that if you went an listened to their system you may not find a trace of the "rhodium" sound you would expect to hear.

Finally, if you prefer warmth and simply want a warmer sounding system there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's also a lot less expensive, warm cables are not expensive and neither are a lot of amps that add even order distortion, and you don't need the most accurate drivers and expensive inert speaker cabinets either. It's not exactly "High Fidelity" but I totally understand and support any kind of personal preference one may have. The more clarity and fidelity you want the more difficult, time consuming and expensive it will be to get things right, and we all have to draw the line somewhere. So, in the pursuit of achieving your personal goals I totally support getting rid of rhodium for gold, however it may not be better for all, just better for you.

Reactions: MusicTraveler

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
For the next month, I will do interesting experiment of comparing Rhodium plated, Silver plated, Gold plated speaker spades.

I will let the result known to everybody.

I started with Rhodium plated spade on last Friday.

Although I noticed some air or slight splash, it does not sound bad in my system.

But in bright system, it may cause some hardness of the sound.

Please note that I am running plasma tweeter of Lansche 4.1 with SET tube amplifier so its treble sound very clean and not aggressive.

Reactions: shapo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing