Gold Star Studios

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Courtesy of Steve Hoffman:

Three legends of the music business. Jerry Moss and Herb Alpert (The A&M of A&M) with my good friend the late engineering legend Larry Levine. Larry engineered some of the greatest hits in music history including all the Phil Spector hits, the TJB, etc. This is Gold Star Recording, Hollywood Feburary, 1966. — with Mike Levine.

402126_249900935090&.jpg

Think 3-track 350 transport with 351 electronics.

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Cool, never knew that.

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
Hello Myles,
Did some reading on Gold Star & your friend Larry Levine he was an outstanding engineer one of the greats.Gold Star studios is where the "Pet Sounds " album was recorded .Gold Star studios was the place to record . I found an image of Larry with Phil Spector and a very nice view of the 300-3 w/ syl sync unit the tape pre's look to be 350's.... 351's had the black dot on the bottom of the faceplate. The mixer board is beautiful all this was custom built i read.

Also a video @Gold Star is that Larry at the mixer board?

Thanks for the post.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Gary!

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I found an image of Larry with Phil Spector and a very nice view of the 300-3 w/ syl sync unit the tape pre's look to be 350's.... 351's had the black dot on the bottom of the faceplate.

Hi Gary:

To me...the preamps are 351s judging from the VU meters' more square frame than rounded ones found on 350... but then again, what do I know? ;-)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Gary:

To me...the preamps are 351s judging from the VU meters' more square frame than rounded ones found on 350... but then again, what do I know? ;-)

True or not, what one of the guys said is that 351 electronics were used with multitrack 350 transports (?)

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
True or not, what one of the guys said is that 351 electronics were used with multitrack 350 transports (?)

Hi Myles:

It's only my guess... if someone can track the year of introduction for 351 and compared to when the photo was taken, it would be more accurate.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles:

It's only my guess... if someone can track the year of introduction for 351 and compared to when the photo was taken, it would be more accurate.

I was only quoting what one of Steve's engineering buddies shared on his facebook page about the equipment in the pic.

sistij

Aug 21, 2019
Being Old I worked for Larry Levine at A&M. Herb and Jerry and even Phil. I did several sessions at the old Gold Star. Those were all hand built. Most were old office desks that had the draws removed and the electronics inserted. The knobs had deep grooves behind the heads so you could wrap your fingers around them and control a couple with each hand. I don't know if they were built before Tommy Dowd had built his boards with Faders.(Linear potentiometers) but although every other board I worked on had Faders at that time. These were the experiences that taught me less is more.

i

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I had a very cool experience inside A&M studios a few years ago.I will try to put it to paper this weekend after some sleep and coffee.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing