Good audio reproduction as performance art ....

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Saw a mention on twogoodears about a Devon Turnbull horn system at Lisson, a Manhattan gallery. Has the bonkers Fostex woofer. Not sure if I would have considered a hifi as an art experience but given what most people listen to...maybe it is.
1F69C0D4-73F8-47D6-88B1-040CB69C43DC.jpeg
I like the aesthetic, particularly the push buttons on the right that remind me of my Neumann SP75 mastering desk. Also the Dynavector arm has an undeniable mechanical design cool factor.

Go Mr. Turnbull! Has the NNNN Devor subwoofer ruined your fun with the monster Fostex's ? ;)

Is that a Technics platter on the turntable?

oeno

Jun 7, 2014

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
True its a bit strange for 'us' as we are used to such things. These same things are pretty unusual in the mainstream so no surprise that it can be someone's art too ;)

Reactions: ddk

oeno

Jun 7, 2014
The Times piece is itself odd, looking at this fellow and his speaker creations through a fashion lens, but also kind of like an advert for him. You can tell the writer has no idea about audio, so he is writing about it as a hip(?) cousin to ....fashion? But Turnbull seems to have found horn/SET/idlers religion many years ago....

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
True its a bit strange for 'us' as we are used to such things. These same things are pretty unusual in the mainstream so no surprise that it can be someone's art too ;)

Sorry , I now see what you meant .

Lets put it this way , if you cant win on SQ , you gotta go for the ART / Extravaganza formula .

Reactions: Solypsa

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The Times piece is itself odd, looking at this fellow and his speaker creations through a fashion lens, but also kind of like an advert for him. You can tell the writer has no idea about audio, so he is writing about it as a hip(?) cousin to ....fashion? But Turnbull seems to have found horn/SET/idlers religion many years ago....
It’s called marketing, such articles are generally paid for :). Great attempt IMO at the lifestyle market with this system.

david

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I don't know much about what makes the fashion wheel go around, but Mr. Turnbull is not a stranger to riding it. All in all I don't see exposing people to the idea of a dedicated 2 ch audio system as an 'art / conversation ' piece as a bad thing...even if its a bit annoying that nothing new is being proposed.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
This is what i call ( audio ) art .
Art is also expressed in the materials that are being used .

Even the cables look nice lol

Attachments

• 20220522_153345.jpg
    20220522_153345.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220522_153352.jpg
    20220522_153352.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220522_153357.jpg
    20220522_153357.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 24

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great photo! Do you happen to know/recall what supports are under the amps? I see both a polished cylindrical metal footing (not the one actually attached under the Robert Koda itself which is black, small and rectangular) and then a black round disc underneath the metal footing.

We use HRS Nimbus and Stillpoints Ultra 6 v2 under the 4 corners close to where the original feet are placed. Plus, we also use an Artesania damping plate (but actually facing the underside of the chassis...it is kept there by using another Ultra 6s which screws upwards, applying pressure to keep the damping plate there.)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have no idea lloyd .
May be you can email Fono acoustica who set up this room at the munchen show.

I like these they will go under my next speaker designs
German no nonsense art

Attachments

• 20220726_210807.jpg
    20220726_210807.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 12

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have no idea lloyd .
May be you can email Fono acoustica who set up this room at the munchen show.

I like these they will go under my next speaker designs
German no nonsense art
Thanks. Their website is under construction but can probably find someplace else. Meanwhile, there are a lot of great OEM designs...Stillpoints Ultras, Critical Mass to name 2, which I have seen installed under Vitus amps I believe.

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
On different posts on various forums I find many audiophiles are willing to condemn Mr. Turnbull's speaker systems because of the popular press association of his ideas with fashion or art. I believe we need to wait until people who know about high end audio have heard them to even begin forming judgements. I would love to hear the pictured segmented horns with gargantuan 31" Fostex woofers. Off the top of my head I suspect I would prefer fifteens in horn loaded subs, but then I don't know.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing