Good mid-price audiophile switches

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
The Silent Switch arrives tomorrow. Question: How are the ground/isolate switches used? What's their purpose?
The isolate setting at each port is used to reduce noise from a router, if you are using the Fiber Box or are downstream from another switch it is not needed. I left all ports in ground setting. I tried the isolate setting and did not hear any difference but I had 2 switches upstream to the Silent Switch and now I have the Fiber Box upstream as well. I did find grounding the Silent Switch to my CAD GC3 reduced the noise floor modestly.

The Network Acoustics ENO AG was very effective in reducing noise on the network to my DAC, I heard the improvement immediately and it easy to A/B with and without and hear the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenentman
Jul 11, 2021
All my Ethernet cables have floating earth (sheielded up the rj45 terminal but the shield is isolated from the metal telegarner rj45s so the metal braided shield isn’t touching anything) so like Mark says I cant tell any difference either. I think the theory behind the ground isolation switch is that if your cables have the shield connected to the rj45 plug it’s able to “ground” to the switch and the swtich chassis is earthed to the mains cable, activating the toggle to isolate will do the same as a floating earth shield? I can’t tell any change. the paper instructions that come with the switch says it’s best to isolate the last cable to your dac or amp by turning the switch to that socket to “isolate”.

Reactions: audiobomber

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
The Silent Switch arrives tomorrow. Question: How are the ground/isolate switches used? What's their purpose?
You will probably notice a flyer / leaflet with the package that explains the ground / isolate switches and their functionality. Whether they do anything for you or not, only you can determine.

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
I just now ordered a switch from Afterdark. Its actually a OXCO modded Netgear GS105 with LT3045 and prince grade of the oxco. All is powered with a LPSU.
Should be fine also for video and so on. I already have a etherregen with external Afterdark clock so I hope this will improve further.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
I just now ordered a switch from Afterdark. Its actually a OXCO modded Netgear GS105 with LT3045 and prince grade of the oxco. All is powered with a LPSU.
Should be fine also for video and so on. I already have a etherregen with external Afterdark clock so I hope this will improve further.
Do you think switches like edison are not good for video .. I am thinking of my HT setup
Phil

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Do you think switches like edison are not good for video .. I am thinking of my HT setup
Phil
No I'm sure it Will be equally good for video.

EschisPassion

Jul 28, 2021
All, usually being a non-active but passive forum member, I am so happy with my Ediscreation Silent Switch that I wanted to share my experience. My Silent Switch has arrived and has been installed over the weekend. Right from the beginning I am very pleased with the results. It's a complete game changer. Now everything is so relaxed and laid back. The ground noise is just gone, music is playing with a big increase in "swing and move" factor. Cool! Thanks to Edition for making this happen!
Best
Sven

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello Sven!

Welcome to WBF!

Reactions: EschisPassion

JoseAuger

Jul 7, 2021
The Silent Switch arrived and I let it play continuously for several days. The transformation of the streaming using Roon, Qobuz and Tidal, and my streamer/servers is amazing. The sound is on par with the ripped and bought files of all rates, from 44.1/16 up. Even MQA files sound better. There is more clarity, precision in transients and attacks, smoother, voices are more natural, more spaciousness, better soundstage, more air. Highly recommended addition. Next on list is the Ediscreation Fiber Box Extreme. I plan to buy it next month. BTW, I did not notice any difference with the ground switches.

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Received it today, Wow!!

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Very neat option. Please report back the benefits you see and hear.
I have only had it connected some few hours. Its placed right in front of the ER. One can hear better soundstage, smoother and clearer cymbals. A lot more air, reverbs and room information decays in a natural way. More and clear lowend. Vocals seem easier to hear the lyrics.
Hope this helps:)

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Fr the same guy ..,this seems awesome

Attachments

• 053E439B-C629-4394-AC08-2A271567A48A.jpeg
    053E439B-C629-4394-AC08-2A271567A48A.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 7FDA4C96-C6C8-46A2-B940-792E4646C1F2.jpeg
    7FDA4C96-C6C8-46A2-B940-792E4646C1F2.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 124

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Audio Bacon has once again devoted a herculean amount of effort and time to write a detailed review, this time, of fourteen (14) highly-regarded DC LPs, and the PliXiR BDC came out on top! For the past 3+ years, I've been happily using two of them (the 12V, 2A model) to power my SOtM tX-USBultra, and (one of two, closest to the Aurender W20) sNH-10Gs. Highly recommended ! BTW, the other sNH-10G (closer to the wireless router's LAN) is being powered by the Farad Super3. After experimentation, this combo sounded the best in my system.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

MattyW

Mar 9, 2021
Anybody try Renolabs?

Yeah, I've been running the Renolabs Ultimate Audio Switch for a while now. It has improved all streamed content noticeably. Not just sound quality though image quality also with video streaming.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
The Silent Switch arrived and I let it play continuously for several days. The transformation of the streaming using Roon, Qobuz and Tidal, and my streamer/servers is amazing. The sound is on par with the ripped and bought files of all rates, from 44.1/16 up. Even MQA files sound better. There is more clarity, precision in transients and attacks, smoother, voices are more natural, more spaciousness, better soundstage, more air. Highly recommended addition. Next on list is the Ediscreation Fiber Box Extreme. I plan to buy it next month. BTW, I did not notice any difference with the ground switches.
Welcome joseaugEr to wbf.

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Could anybody describe the differences between EtheRegen and Ediscreation Silent switchs?
I purchased the ER before the ECSS. I found when using the ER going from the A side to the B side, across the moat, streaming into the network input of my Dac that the music sounded a bit bloated with a heavy midrange and lower midrange presentation. I was using an external power supply for the ER, but that did not help. So I used the A side, the switch side only, and not the B side which is the re-clocked side and the tonal balance was much better. After reading about the ECSS I decided to get it. It does have an internal power supply and will benefit from a up market power cable. As soon as I plugged the ECSS in my system I immediately heard a significant improvement in the sound quality of my Dac. The sound was more immediate and harmonically articulate, it really opened up. I believe the ECSS has a superior clock and further lowers the noise floor. I subsequently purchased the EC Fiber Box ii which further improved the sound. I now use the ER upstream with my router, A side only.
Mark

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing