Good News - A great new album "Texas Sun"

Texas Sun.jpg

Balmy, dreamy, and sun-drenched in a cool seventies vibe, this EP is quintessential Khruangbin, an instrumental trio who gifted us not only with dreamy, psychedelic rhythms, but with a wonderfully relaxed (retro-soul) Leon Bridges at the fore, singing his heart out . For fans of Leon Bridges, it repays repeated plays, leading listeners to a relaxing voyage across Texas. The synergy between Khruangbin and Leon Bridges is evident from the first few notes of ”Texas Sun”. Truly a wonderful synergy that beckons the listener to settle down & be transported to another time, another place. Have not tried a late night musical voyage with a fine triple distilled, pot still Irish whiskey, yet.

If I had a quibble it's that at 20 minutes, this EP is a teaser begging for a full length album. While there are only four songs, they are different enough from each other, to not sound repetitive. At around five minutes for each song, time stands still as the music washes over you, like a comforting wave. While I already own all the Leon Bridges albums, I can see me having to purchase the Khruangbin catalogue. Some of their EPs are already selling for $$ hundreds. Tidal has Texas Sun at 16-44.1, while Qobuz will allow you to stream this at 24-96.
For myself, I prefer the vinyl. The midrange bloom is addictive. OK, its a coloration, but seductive. Enjoy - highly
recommended album.

Big shout out of thanks to Wes Katzir of Common Wave in Los Angeles for turning me on (& selling) to this seminal album. Common Wave has an interesting selection of indie & alternative albums; no mainsteam crap.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Nice Philip, will no doubt pick this up soon; have been into Khruangbin for a couple of years now and just love their sound, Leon Bridges bringing an additional narrative which works beautifully.. I've seen Khru live a couple of times and they put on a fabulous show :)

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Picked this up a couple of weeks back. Fully concur with the OP

I'd not heard of either artists but Texas Sun was getting a good deal of radio play locally and I liked what I heard so took a punt. Glad I did.

One thing to note. I ordered on line assuming I'd get the black vinyl version, an orange coloured vinyl "12 pitched up. Sounds great but I felt there was a slight lack of organic flow, a hardness to the sound that I sometimes notice from coloured vinyl. Couldn't resist buying the black vinyl as well, not a lot in it but I do prefer the black.

Reactions: jazdoc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing