Good subwoofer match for Coltrane 3 speakers

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Hey all, looking for a pair of subs that will integrate well with the very fast Accuton 10“ drivers of my Marten Coltrane 3 speakers. I had a pair of Rel Ti7 subs that I use in my other system and their lack of speed and level of distortion didn’t at all fit well with the Accutons. I integrated the subs pretty well and verified everything with REW. The curve looked great and no real phase issues to speak of but the sound just wasn’t nearly as clean and fast as with the Accutons alone.

So can a better Rel do the job? Any other candidates? I am limited as far as auditioning as the local dealers are horrible at having anything high end in stock so any real world experiences would be appreciated.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Congrats. Those are excellent speakers. Amongst the best on earth, IMHO. Integration is hard. I think you should consider the top of the line REL G1, or even 6 pack of them. Really hard to integrate with our drivers, though. (I have baby brother and no subs currently).

Reactions: Thundersnow

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
JL Audio. I have two of the Fathom 112v2 and love them. Integrate superbly with the fast sound from my monitors.

Their high adjustability, much better than my previous REL, is important. The extreme low frequency trim (continuously adjustable attenuation up to about 14 dB at 24 Hz) was a life saver in my medium sized room, and even with attenuation the low bass is still thunderous and ground shaking (when it's on the recording, particularly on electronica).

The ability to adjust phase in a continuous manner (not just 0/180 degrees) has helped tremendously in resolving bass cancellations with my main speakers. Other subs that don't have this you would have to physically move around to solve such problems, with associated drawbacks.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Hey all, looking for a pair of subs that will integrate well with the very fast Accuton 10“ drivers of my Marten Coltrane 3 speakers. I had a pair of Rel Ti7 subs that I use in my other system and their lack of speed and level of distortion didn’t at all fit well with the Accutons. I integrated the subs pretty well and verified everything with REW. The curve looked great and no real phase issues to speak of but the sound just wasn’t nearly as clean and fast as with the Accutons alone.

So can a better Rel do the job? Any other candidates? I am limited as far as auditioning as the local dealers are horrible at having anything high end in stock so any real world experiences would be appreciated.
I had the C3 and now own momento 2. I would recommend the Rythmik line of sealed subs. They are very very fast. Sound great. And actually not too dear.

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Right now, looking at the suggestions, sealed seems like the way to go and it means a lot to hear from other Marten owners as well, as they are familiar with the Accuton aluminum cell driver bass sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

Diasoft5

Feb 19, 2020
40764 Langenfeld / Germany

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021

Diasoft5

Feb 19, 2020
This is a thread in a German forum in which the company participates. You just have to use the google translator:

I think Merovinger use the DSP modules from fouraudio.de with acceleration sensor and touch screen operation:

The amplifier modules are from Pascal.

The subs are built the way you want them. It should also fit perfectly optically.

This shows the Gauder RC7 and the sub. It has the same white grooves as the speakers and a similar shape, so it fits perfectly:

• Love

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Hey all, looking for a pair of subs that will integrate well with the very fast Accuton 10“ drivers of my Marten Coltrane 3 speakers.
Though it's a fairly common I'm a bit hesitant to list any speaker as fast or quick when the electronics seem to have as much or more to with this area. For all I know, most any reasonable-or-better speaker is c

I had a pair of Rel Ti7 subs that I use in my other system and their lack of speed and level of distortion didn’t at all fit well with the Accutons. I integrated the subs pretty well and verified everything with REW. The curve looked great and no real phase issues to speak of but the sound just wasn’t nearly as clean and fast as with the Accutons alone.

I certainly wouldn't know if it's the REL's or not. Every config is so potentially different and I find it rather exhausting trying to properly dial in a subwoofer. Somebody above mentioned Rhythmik subs and I've got a pair of their E15's. It only took me about 5 years worth of token efforts to finally dial one in. I recently purchased a 2nd E15 and though they're not quite dialed in they're close enough for now.

I like to think the 10 or 11 switches and knobs somehow gives us vast more opportunities to dial things in to a fine degree. Then again, perhaps those 10 or 11 switches can mess you up real bad too, right?

I'd easily recommend the Rhythmik line if you're thinking about swapping mfg'ers.

Diasoft5

Feb 19, 2020

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California

I can put you in touch with another Coltrane owner who has integrated subs. Though his Coltranes are, I believe, one generation older than yours with the second order crossover. Accuton and similar DNA nevertheless.

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
I can put you in touch with another Coltrane owner who has integrated subs. Though his Coltranes are, I believe, one generation older than yours with the second order crossover. Accuton and similar DNA nevertheless.
If you could, that would be great! Thanks so much, bazelio.

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Though it's a fairly common I'm a bit hesitant to list any speaker as fast or quick when the electronics seem to have as much or more to with this area. For all I know, most any reasonable-or-better speaker is c

I certainly wouldn't know if it's the REL's or not. Every config is so potentially different and I find it rather exhausting trying to properly dial in a subwoofer. Somebody above mentioned Rhythmik subs and I've got a pair of their E15's. It only took me about 5 years worth of token efforts to finally dial one in. I recently purchased a 2nd E15 and though they're not quite dialed in they're close enough for now.

I like to think the 10 or 11 switches and knobs somehow gives us vast more opportunities to dial things in to a fine degree. Then again, perhaps those 10 or 11 switches can mess you up real bad too, right?

I'd easily recommend the Rhythmik line if you're thinking about swapping mfg'ers.
As things stand right now, I'm leaning towards the Rhythmik subs, although I don't have a dealer available locally. But I'll figure something out. I'll hear from a few more Coltrane owners and then make an educated guess as to what I buy, as I can't audition a lot.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I had the Coltrane IIs for a few years and never even thought about adding Subs. You really need them for the Coltrane IIIs??

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
I had the Coltrane IIs for a few years and never even thought about adding Subs. You really need them for the Coltrane IIIs??
Well, besides the personal preferences, I have a rather long and large hallway, some 50 feet to the left of one of the speakers. This sucks up quite a bit of bass. The upside is that there are no real bass peaks to speak of so I would be perfectly satisfied to live with the Coltranes as they are (for music -- as they have more than enough bass in that regard). However, the very lowest bottom end does lack sometimes (I'm talking 20-40hz range because of the hallway -- otherwise if I had corner positioning for both speakers there'd be no way I'd be looking for more bass).

So in short -- is it necessary? No. Is it a 'nice to have' -- yes from where I stand. The whole point is that I'm more about transient speed and good integration, so that's my concern here.

Reactions: howiebrou

cjf

Nov 19, 2012

Another vote here for the Rythmik subs.

I'm not using Marten speakers but my Magico S3's are pretty speedy as well and the 3 Rythmik subs I'm using dont seem to fall behind by much, if at all.

Depending on your available space, the E15HP2's are not too hard to hide and they dont really give up much in terms of performance when compared to the larger F18. Based on my measurements in my room of course.

You can get good results with using just the controls on the plate amps but you wont realize their full potential unless you take the leap into the world of software based room correction/dsp. Things start to get very good at that point. The benefits of the Servo technology really start to shine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing