Google Maps already No. 1 among free iPhone apps

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
by Lance Whitney

Google Maps didn't take long to capture the top spot among free iPhone apps.
Driving back into iTunes earlier today, the app had already reached first place after the first several hours. It's also garnered close to 8,000 reviews at this point, almost all of them earning five stars.
The new app offers all of the features that made it an iOS standard in the past but with a cleaner look and feel.
You can search for your destination by typing or speaking it. The app handles specific addresses as well as the names of businesses and landmarks. You can also tell the app whether you're driving, walking, or taking mass transit. In return, Google Maps provides you with spoken turn-by-turn directions.
You can quickly switch your view from traffic to public transit to satellite. In Street View mode, you can swipe your way around 360-degree panoramas of different locations.
There's no iPad-optimized version just yet, just the one version for all iOS devices. Otherwise, the app marks a smooth return for Google to the iOS world.
Google Maps was kicked out of the App Store after iOS 6 debuted in September. Apple replaced it with its own Maps app as the default navigation program for iOS.
But Apple Maps proved to be a wrong turn for the company following complaints of missing locations, faulty images, bad directions, and a host of other glitches.
Apple was forced to fess up to its Maps mess, even going so far as to recommend that users turn to other Maps apps as alternatives. Scott Forstall, Apple's iOS software chief, was reportedly fired over the Maps fiasco after refusing to sign a letter aplogizing for the flaws in the app.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I took a roadtrip to a studio in a nearby town with one of the guys I play music with. He has Google Maps and a Mapquest app on his new iPhone. Said he liked them both, for different reasons. We used Google that day. He entered the destination address (said the voice recognition was a bit wonky), propped his iPhone up in a cup holder, and it took us through a short path with lots of backroads turns, flawlessly.

The dedicated GPS unit is now extinct. Need a new GPS? Download a free app.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
"Google Maps was kicked out of the App Store after iOS 6 debuted in September."

Is this true? I thought what happened was that Apple had pre-installed it and decided not to. And since it was pre-installed, it was never in the app store.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I didn't upgrade to IOS6 because of the Apple Maps issue. Now I can upgrade, and get Google Maps. Excellent.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
"Google Maps was kicked out of the App Store after iOS 6 debuted in September."

Is this true? I thought what happened was that Apple had pre-installed it and decided not to. And since it was pre-installed, it was never in the app store.

You are correct.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Oh well. There are a number of people who seem to think that there is nothing wrong with Apple maps. Such people are deluded. Why?

- Tim Cook apologized for Apple maps
- Scott Forstall was fired for Apple maps
- Every country in the world has reported issues with Apple maps
- When Google maps was released yesterday, my FB page was full of people getting excited about it and it is the no. 1 free download in the App store.

When the company itself and the majority of users in the world think there is a problem, you are in the minority. The small number of people who think that Apple maps is superior to Google maps have truly marked themselves out as unrealistic zealots. High priests in the Cult of Apple.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing