Got the 1.7i dialed in and vanishing in the room...

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Been playing with positioning all day yesterday and today. These massive Maggies (massive for this room anyway) are doing the incredible disappearing act, and I've got the subs integrated perfectly. Solid center image, all of the bass benefits from the Maggies, and getting that low end foundation from 45Hz on down from the subs. Man, I'm really digging this!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats...that is a beautiful setup, and I have to say Maggie 1.7s are heralded by many as remarkably good speakers on absolute terms and phenomenally so on price/performance. Was it tough to blend the subs? Did Magnepan offer guidance on this?

Reactions: Chops

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Congrats...that is a beautiful setup, and I have to say Maggie 1.7s are heralded by many as remarkably good speakers on absolute terms and phenomenally so on price/performance. Was it tough to blend the subs? Did Magnepan offer guidance on this?
Thank you!

I have to agree, these 1.7i's are rather remarkably good speakers. And at the price I got these at, it would make pretty much any Maggie owner sick to their stomach!

With these new SVS subs and their built-in DSP being controlled at my listening seat with my iPad, dialing them is an absolute breeze. No PEQ used, just crossover point, slope, phase, gain and a couple hours of tweaking here and there. No guidance from Magnepan at all.

Reactions: christoph

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting...I notice you have placed the 1.7s well into the room which is something I have definitely read about with Maggies. Imagine your soundstage and depth are also pretty special.

What were your earlier speakers? I cannot tell from your photo in your ID to the top left. What drew you to the Maggie's?

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Interesting...I notice you have placed the 1.7s well into the room which is something I have definitely read about with Maggies. Imagine your soundstage and depth are also pretty special.

What were your earlier speakers? I cannot tell from your photo in your ID to the top left. What drew you to the Maggie's?
Yes, the Maggies are 6' 5" into the room. Stage width and depth are spectacular. Seems like a few feet past the side walls, and depending on the recording, right at to just beyond the front wall for depth, or even a couple of feet in front of the speakers.

My most recent speakers were a pair of decent sized Revel M16 stand mount speakers that I was barrowing from one of my brothers for about a month. Before that, my old trusty pair of highly modified GR-Research X-Statik open baffle speakers. Beyond that, at my brother's house, I'm storing several other pairs of speakers including home made Audio Nirvana open baffles, NHT 2.9's and Martin Logan SL3 electrostatics and a few others. Many moons ago, I purchased a brand new pair of Magnepan MGLR-1's which were part of their new home theater line back in I think 1997. They were the next step up from the entry level MMG's.

I've always loved that di-pole sound which is why I went with the MGLR-1's years ago, which also explains all of the various open baffle speakers I've owned or built over the years, and the Martin Logan's. And now of coarse, these 1.7i's.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks...quite a collection. I have to say, I cannot believe that after 20 years since hearing a pair of Apogee Stages...ONCE...I have always since admired panels enough to keep reading about Alsyvox, Apogee and the Maggies. I have heard Maggies but only fleetingly, Martin Logans more often. I think I prefer the meatiness of the Maggie sound, but I would have to spend more time with them to know more.

Part of the challenge has always been space...particularly big Wilsons work really well in a variety of spaces and their adjustability and ability to work closer to corners (relative to panels anyway) have been a big reason for ultimately going with them.

And after all these years, I can no longer say how much magic in panels I would hear relative to the current generation of cones which I know much better. But I DO acknowledge there IS real magic in great panels. And from everything I have heard, the 1.7s have it in spades. Enjoy!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
That's beautiful. Intuitively, I would think you would have to have them a little further away from the side wall. Have you measured the distance? We were thinking 3 feet.
I was also thinking some sort of diffuser for the tv.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
That's beautiful. Intuitively, I would think you would have to have them a little further away from the side wall. Have you measured the distance? We were thinking 3 feet.
I was also thinking some sort of diffuser for the tv.

109" between mid-panel to mid-panel, and 114" to my listening seat. Speakers 17.5" from the side walls, and 6' 5" from the front wall.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks. That triangle moght be repeatable for others. Especially the proximity to the sidewalls.
Enjoy the music.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Thanks. That triangle moght be repeatable for others. Especially the proximity to the sidewalls.
Enjoy the music.
You're welcome. Those or similar dimensions might work for some, but it's really room dependent.

I know one thing, I'm absolutely thrilled with the sound I'm getting right now! And that goes for a whole lot of different genres of music. Pretty much anything I throw at it.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing