Graham Audio LS5/5 vs...

davenrk

Nov 27, 2020
Hi, I own a nice pair of Graham LS5/9 and thinking to upgrade them.
While I like their refined, smooth but also very detailed sound and resolution, I miss some physical impact, presence of the older spendor sp100r2 or atc 50 actives I owned.

I was thinking remaining with Graham, the alternatives are:
LS5/8 or LS5/8S
new 8/1
BC1 Anniversary
LS5/5

Did anyone listen and compare these speakers? Which are the main differences and even defects of them?

thanks

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Go for a Graham LS5/8. It is a fantastic big speaker for bigger rooms, but even for minimum 2m listening distance onwards.
I use it with different amps, ss and tubes (845 pp), and the two way design as a big speaker is a unique design but here in a real fine result. Good for bigger classical music as well as for rock. I like them very much.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Go for a Graham LS5/8. It is a fantastic big speaker for bigger rooms, but even for minimum 2m listening distance onwards.
If the OP is thinking of that style of speaker (over-sized standmount), he should also consider the big Harbeth 40.2. Neither can be described as attractive but if it's just sound quality he craves, probable good choices. For me standmounts (apart from very small ones bought because of limited budget) are to be avoided. They need stands that add to the cost, take as much floor space as floorstanders and are more likely to need subs that add further to cost and floor space. OK, another suggestion from a brand with similarities (recording studio heritage) - floorstanding ATC speakers. I hesitate in suggesting these as I had a pair of Active 50s 20 years ago and didn't like them in my room, but they've been improved since then and have a big following. Peter

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
hi, I already had a pair of ATC 50 actives , and also Spendor SP100R2

Interesting. Do you share my view that the ACT 50 Actives are too "in-yer-face" for comfortable listening? I wanted to push them 20 ft further away. Better left in pro studios probably! Peter

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Isn‘t it kind funny, as I find the Avantgard „in-yer-face“, too. But that’s off topic.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Isn‘t it kind funny, as I find the Avantgard „in-yer-face“, too. But that’s off topic.
It's the sort of speaker that I had never seriously considered. You see them at Shows and pass by on the assumption they are designed to look interesting, rather than to sound good. When I bought my ATCs I was immediately not completely happy after my big KEF Reference 107s, despite hankering after ATCs for years. By chance at the time I was subscribed to Stereophile and noticed that they had chosen the Avantgarde Uno as Speaker of the Year. I went to the full 15 page review by Robert Deutsch and became increasingly excited by his excellent and detailed description of what he was hearing - it was poles apart from the ATCs and exactly what I was yearning for. A quick visit to the only London dealer's dreary basement demo room confirmed what Robert was describing and I bought a pair in 2002. In 2019 I sold them after thinking a switch to electrostatics would be good - Quad 2905s for a short trial, then Martin Logan 13As. The latter was a serious disappointment but only because they didn't like my room (even with Anthem room correction) where the old Unos sounded better. Then I spotted a pair of Duos (circa 2006) at a bargain price, then a costly upgrade to latest Duo XDs. Once bitten by the sparkle and excitement factor of Avantgarde speakers, it's really hard to move away. When set up carefully and accepting their small sweet spot, there's nothing that excites as much as Avantgarde. Having said that, as I mentioned earlier, I was most impressed by the Harbeth 40.2s playing at a Show a few years ago. For me they were undoubtedly "best sound in show" although no Avantgardes or other exotica at this particular show. I don't much like to appearance of Avantgardes, so I modify their support system with the approval of everyone who's seem photos of my Unos and Duos. But that’s even more off topic! Peter

davenrk

Nov 27, 2020
Interesting. Do you share my view that the ACT 50 Actives are too "in-yer-face" for comfortable listening? I wanted to push them 20 ft further away. Better left in pro studios probably! Peter
Anything like that! I only changed them because I relocated and other stories.
Their only "defect" is that the volume has to be quite high to get the best out from them.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: Scott W

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing