Grand Prix Audio Monaco 3.0 turntable

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
Has anyone heard anything about the proposed Monaco 3.0 turntable? I didn’t see them on list of exhibitors at Munich show so not sure if it coming out soon. Moncaco1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Amir

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Looks like we will learn more soon. From Chris at Audio Exotics:

"The almighty Monaco 3.0 with super computer landed at AE SW ready for Hi End Audio Show from Aug 5-7."

Haha - you got to love the marketing language “super computer” hahaha.

Reactions: tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Looks like they added Taiko Extreme to operate the table

It's not from Holland. Don't let the orange color fool you! :D

No +/- buttons for speed adjustment. No read-outs. Hard to tell just how big or small is the box. There's a 40 MIPS computer in the 2.0. It will not surprise me if the one used in the 3.0 is more powerful. The box may also contain rechargeable batteries. Speculation on my part.

My thinking ... Alvin would not do this or give a +1 increment in the name without significant audible performance increase.

Reactions: Maurits

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
With a +1 to the name probably comes a +0 to the end of the price tag. :)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
With a +1 to the name probably comes a +0 to the end of the price tag.

Arf arf arf...

Initial retail is $52k without the battery power supply, which will sell separately in US and Euro markets.

GPA says they are waiting delivery of circuit boards to build out the battery power supplies - hopefully inside of two months. They are hit with supply and inflation/cost increases like many manufacturers and are unsure if that msrp can be held.

Deliveries to pre-sold units have begun and will continue through August.

GPA has not released photos yet. Chris at Audio Exotics in HK loves to make a splash and likely we may see photos of his purple pearl plinth unit at any time.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Arf arf arf...

Initial retail is $52k without the battery power supply, which will sell separately in US and Euro markets.

GPA says they are waiting delivery of circuit boards to build out the battery power supplies - hopefully inside of two months. They are hit with supply and inflation/cost increases like many manufacturers and are unsure if that msrp can be held.

Deliveries to pre-sold units have begun and will continue through August.

GPA has not released photos yet. Chris at Audio Exotics in HK loves to make a splash and likely we may see photos of his purple pearl plinth unit at any time.
Do you know if all the changes are external to the TT? So power supply, motor controller etc? I am running my Monoco 2.0 off a Nagra Classic (super cap) power supply. It made a significant difference in clarity/transparency and noise floor. Wondering if batteries will help my in my application...

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Do you know if all the changes are external to the TT? So power supply, motor controller etc? I am running my Monoco 2.0 off a Nagra Classic (super cap) power supply. It made a significant difference in clarity/transparency and noise floor. Wondering if batteries will help my in my application...

My understanding is the battery power supply is it's own unit and will be useable with the 2.0 controller and the 3.0. But I have not seen one or know if there is a different one for the East.

I do expect changes to the table itself. Note that GPA has made no announcement so things could change.

That's cool about the Nagra PS.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Indeed. More pictures at AE:

Apart from the controller the 3.0 table looks v. similar to the Monaco 2.0. Of course the 2.0 looked very similar to the 1.5. All the big changes were inside. I wonder if it will have a new motor.

Reactions: jfrech

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Indeed. More pictures at AE:

I checked the pictures of Monaco turntable and it looks great. They also shared some measurements pictures. IMHO speed measurement looks ok, vibration measurement is lees than optimal and AES wow&flutter is very poor.

Measuring wow&flutter at 60Hz does not give required resolution to analyze and IMHO that’s why the result is very poor. If the result is more or less the same with 3150Hz then I suspect something is wrong with this turntable.

Thanks @tima for sharing the link.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I checked the pictures of Monaco turntable and it looks great. They also shared some measurements pictures. IMHO speed measurement looks ok, vibration measurement is lees than optimal and AES wow&flutter is very poor.

Measuring wow&flutter at 60Hz does not give required resolution to analyze and IMHO that’s why the result is very poor. If the result is more or less the same with 3150Hz then I suspect something is wrong with this turntable.

Thanks @tima for sharing the link.

Why is a direct drive plagued with W&F - isn't that the whole point of going away from the belt?

Reactions: mtemur

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One post on that Audio Exotics thread says "Sounds more like digital with analog character (in a good way)". Is Al posting on Audio Exotics now?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing