Great plains Audio 604 coax drivers...the best coax ever?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I heard a pair of these some years ago and was deeply impressed with what they can do. Also, there is a youtube video from Kenrick sound (they make properly high quality recordings...no iphone or samsung) of a pair that is frankly pretty awesome sounding. Given their pretty reasonable price (1800-2300 depending on ferrite or alnico) and then some cabinets, this is potentially a reference class (in some but not all) sounding system for pretty low money.

Given what I have heard from Dynamikks, Live Act Audio and some others, it seems that a good coax design is really a way to a high level sound. Since I already have Dynamikks Athos 10 speakers, I wanted in my own design to do somehting different but the simplicity of a big coax in a big box (or open baffle with a couple of big woofers) seems pretty darn tempting.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
IMO, no. They are excellent but not a "reference class" device.

This is the best I've heard them... from RMAF 2017 and augmented above w/ Fostex T500AMkII and below with another 15"woofer.

They also were shown with these resonators, I heard them with and without... it was very interesting!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

This is the best I've heard them... from RMAF 2017 and augmented above w/ Fostex T500AMkII and below with another 15"woofer.

They also were shown with these resonators, I heard them with and without... it was very interesting!

Please can you elaborate on the with/without resonators scenarios.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Please can you elaborate on the with/without resonators scenarios.

I was thinking about this, how to convey what I heard... and add a disclaimer that I only have experience hearing it with and without the resonators on only one track and it's possible it may not do the same for all recordings. The resonators were added and removed while the track was playing several times, and by two people, one on each speaker switching them out so it was just a second or two to add or remove them. All I can share is my one brief experience, but what I heard was very interesting.

The track that was playing was a female vocal, unfortunately I don't remember exactly what it was. What I remember most was the resonators made the vocals sound more natural and it was easier to understand the lyrics with the resonators in place. I believe what they did is extend the decay of the vocals, and this ended up sounding more "correct" to my ears psychoacoustically. Without the resonators the vocals sounded duller and less clear.

I think this is a case where a device that was conceived to modify the recording actually worked and made the music better. I also don't believe this is a subjective improvement, as there are established criteria for vocal intelligibility in PA systems. A vocal that is easier to understand to the point the lyrics were clearer and took less effort for my brain to process is an actual improvement in my book. I hesitate to say this as some may have issue with a device like this making an objective improvement, but it's only my own limited experience and is proof of nothing. However, it may be an indication that it's possible to improve on recording quality, if not in the analog realm using resonators, then in the digital realm by modifying harmonics and decay to match established psychoacoustic models (which may not exist yet either).

In any case, it was a very interesting demo and I wish I remembered exactly who made the resonators, he was a really nice guy. I'll have to look it up, it was at RMAF 2017 so shouldn't be too hard to track down.

jdza

May 3, 2010

Altec did the same in 1980 with the 6041-without the resonators .

Reactions: DaveC

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I was thinking about this, how to convey what I heard... and add a disclaimer that I only have experience hearing it with and without the resonators on only one track and it's possible it may not do the same for all recordings. The resonators were added and removed while the track was playing several times, and by two people, one on each speaker switching them out so it was just a second or two to add or remove them. All I can share is my one brief experience, but what I heard was very interesting.

The track that was playing was a female vocal, unfortunately I don't remember exactly what it was. What I remember most was the resonators made the vocals sound more natural and it was easier to understand the lyrics with the resonators in place. I believe what they did is extend the decay of the vocals, and this ended up sounding more "correct" to my ears psychoacoustically. Without the resonators the vocals sounded duller and less clear.

I think this is a case where a device that was conceived to modify the recording actually worked and made the music better. I also don't believe this is a subjective improvement, as there are established criteria for vocal intelligibility in PA systems. A vocal that is easier to understand to the point the lyrics were clearer and took less effort for my brain to process is an actual improvement in my book. I hesitate to say this as some may have issue with a device like this making an objective improvement, but it's only my own limited experience and is proof of nothing. However, it may be an indication that it's possible to improve on recording quality, if not in the analog realm using resonators, then in the digital realm by modifying harmonics and decay to match established psychoacoustic models (which may not exist yet either).

In any case, it was a very interesting demo and I wish I remembered exactly who made the resonators, he was a really nice guy. I'll have to look it up, it was at RMAF 2017 so shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Thanks for this feedback, Dave. I actually do subscribe to this philosophy rather than being a detractor. I have being experimenting with resonance in my speaker designs a lot recently.

Best.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks for this feedback, Dave. I actually do subscribe to this philosophy rather than being a detractor. I have being experimenting with resonance in my speaker designs a lot recently.

Best.
In my own experiments with this new, plastic elliptical horn from 18 sound, it seems to have very low coloration, perhaps the advanced design and very low diffraction gives far fewer resonances? I will still experiment with putting bitumen or panel damping materials on the outside of horn to further control residual resonance.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
In my own experiments with this new, plastic elliptical horn from 18 sound, it seems to have very low coloration, perhaps the advanced design and very low diffraction gives far fewer resonances? I will still experiment with putting bitumen or panel damping materials on the outside of horn to further control residual resonance.
That said, the solid wood horns for my Odeons are really low coloration.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Heard these in Munich and didn’t like them so much...came across as quite colored. Live Act Audio Coax systems were better at the show at least.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard a pair of these some years ago and was deeply impressed with what they can do. Also, there is a youtube video from Kenrick sound (they make properly high quality recordings...no iphone or samsung) of a pair that is frankly pretty awesome sounding. Given their pretty reasonable price (1800-2300 depending on ferrite or alnico) and then some cabinets, this is potentially a reference class (in some but not all) sounding system for pretty low money.

Given what I have heard from Dynamikks, Live Act Audio and some others, it seems that a good coax design is really a way to a high level sound. Since I already have Dynamikks Athos 10 speakers, I wanted in my own design to do somehting different but the simplicity of a big coax in a big box (or open baffle with a couple of big woofers) seems pretty darn tempting.

Dynamikks 8.12 with silvercore TB3/1000 amps - system belongs to user fbs on the forum. Nice tone and flow. A bit of a break to the lower driver noticeable only on the piano, that needs adjusting to. Didn't notice it with anything else. Easy to drive with the 25w SETs. A bit of the they are here feel compared to you are there.

A5B01CE5-0F2A-4F72-9E5A-A45F84A2698D.jpeg

0C704B2F-3FD5-4A56-8D25-C177C3B163EF.jpeg 0EEC4DBB-AF0F-4D10-91CC-F0249AA29A56.jpeg

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Dynamikks 10.8 with silvercore TB3/1000 amps - system belongs to user fbs on the forum. Nice tone and flow. A bit of a break to the lower driver noticeable only on the piano, that needs adjusting to. Didn't notice it with anything else. Easy to drive with the 25w SETs. A bit of the they are here feel compared to you are there.

View attachment 55056

View attachment 55057 View attachment 55058
Nice. That speaker is the Monitor 8.12 mkii, which is the second smallest speaker (there is the now slightly smaller Athos 10, which we have and is 8 inch coax with 10 inch woofer). It has 8inch coax with 12 inch woofer. There will be a new model of 8.12 coming though and a new Monitor 10.15 as well (middle model). We also have the Monitor 12.18, which is 12 inch coax and 18 inch woofer.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing