Great-Sounding Headphone Amp for About $100

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A friend has asked me to suggest a high value for dollar, good-sounding headphone amp for about $100.

Unfortunately and embarrassingly I had to admit that I know absolutely nothing whatsoever about headphone amps.

Please recommend a very modestly priced headphone amp. My friend has Sennheiser HD600 headphones.

How good is the Schitt Audio Modi?

Thank you.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
JDS Labs Atom apparently performs and measures very well and became a darling of the budget minded. It used to be $100, but reputationed-up to $150 or so, although some shopping around for used or sales could be cheaper.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
For about $100 bucks, a 2nd hand Audioquest Dragonfly Red would do a decent job as a dac/headphone amp streaming music off a laptop, though obviously that wouldn't be applicable if your friend wants to do headphone sessions on his hifi system.

Last edited:

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
DragonFly Black, Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark, PA2V2, almost any FiiO in that range, particularly the E17 series. If a tube amp is possible, the Bravo Ocean is a great one.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

DHMC

Feb 8, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm old school. Sennheiser high impedance(300 Ohms) headphones should be driven by an integrated amplifier with a headphone jack such as vintage NAD3020 (20W/ch).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Ron,

I dont think either will work for your friend due to cost but with some hard bargaining when on sale, he might get close enough to be tempted.

1. I got a special deal on my Sennheiser HD650s (with an Apogee amp essentially for free. ) https://apogeedigital.com/products/groove
My wife uses it with her computer when listening on her laptop.

2. Meanwhile, I use this with the main rig if for some reason speakers are out (rarely if ever the case) https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/british-hifi-heritage-arrives-headphone-world-arcams-rhead

I also managed to buy this at a steep discount though not quite 100.

Last edited:

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
I'm old school. Sennheiser high impedance(300 Ohms) headphones should be driven by an integrated amplifier with a headphone jack such as vintage NAD3020 (20W/ch).

A tube amp like the Bravo Ocean takes care of that, due to the power required to heat the tubes. I kept mine cool by using my Macbook as a large heat sink.

Joe P

May 11, 2019
Ron,

If your friend can afford Sennheiser HD600s, tell him to pony up and get a Chord Mojo.

That's what I use with my Sennheiser HD600s. Great combination!

Onepoint5

Sep 23, 2011

I'm with you on this. After an SPL Phonitor2, Sony TA-Z1HES, the one that beats them is the clarity and fullness of the headphone jack on a pre-amplifier.

Gone are the differences of a) cabling, b) power supply noise c) more loops where noise can from, especially on the AC side. I use Accuphase C-2420, which has a switch for phones to cater for the higher impedance headphones, HD-800s, HD-820. Many hours to A/B, then one day plugged into the pre-amp and never looked back.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
DragonFly Black, Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark, PA2V2, almost any FiiO in that range, particularly the E17 series. If a tube amp is possible, the Bravo Ocean is a great one.
Also with DragonFly Cobalt just released there’ll probably be a slew of DragonFly Reds coming onto the second hand market shortly.

Great sounding is probably a stretch for any thing @$100 in relative audiophile terms but for the average punter everything is relative and some improvements can clearly still be had over the sound quality of the typical output of a laptop etc at this price.

It’s amazing how quickly we audiophiles can talk ourselves up into the pricing stratosphere without fear or trepidation.

Depends also on context so how your friend is planning on using his headphones as well Ron.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, gentlemen!

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
The Schiit products provide great bang for the buck, and allow you to tube roll (a bit) to boot

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing