Green Book

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
This turned out to be one of the more enjoyable movies of the year so far. Fine performances by both Viggo Mortensen anb Mahershala Ali. Yes it was a bit predictable but then again it was "based" upon a true story so not sure how much license they were willing too take.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Before the movie, listen to this:

Reactions: Ki Choi

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am giving his music a try via Tidal/Roon. The first one is "The Don Shirley Trio - In Concert". So far I am enjoying this one quite a bit and will see what else they have. Fortunately this isn't pure Jazz which I dislike as much as hip-hop.

So far I don not see the one Kal recommended.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'll go and see this just because Viggo is a HABS superfan! Haha! Seriously though.....it's on my list to see and I'll likely go early next week.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Saw it this weekend. Excellent acting by both co-stars. Worth seeing.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Went to see Green Book today. Excellent movie, great story.

Shame on me for not knowing beforehand this was based on a true story.

I thought both of the lead actors were excellent, Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali.

One of my favorite movies this year after a long dry spell.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
we saw the film today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Agree that Viggo Mortensen should get a nomination for Best Actor but IMO no one so far comes even close to Ravi Malek in Bohemian Rhapsody

My mother, an English period piece lover and retired teacher, saw The Favourite and thought it was terrible. Guess The Lobster guy strikes again.

Next up for me is Roma next weekend.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
They played the preview for The Favorite before Green Book today.

My wife said she couldn't wait to see it....while I am thinking OH, NO...not another movie about British royalty.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My mother, an English period piece lover and retired teacher, saw The Favourite and thought it was terrible. Guess The Lobster guy strikes again.

Next up for me is Roma next weekend.
Roma is getting excellent reviews.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have 3 of Don Shirley albums and one of them is a superb recording on LP - Don Shirley Trio on Cadence (later on released by CBS as well) and his performance is truly remarkable, the fast notes on the Gershwin medley left me stunned. So I knew about him when I watched this movie (on the plane on a recent trip). My son beside me took interest in the movie and watched it a few minutes before I started mine. He's in his mid-20s and virtually knows nothing about this kind of music and the era of Don Shirley. Later on I had to explain to him the history or goings on in that time frame. Great movie. Not a dull moment. And superb acting by these 2 gentlemen.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
I am giving his music a try via Tidal/Roon. The first one is "The Don Shirley Trio - In Concert". So far I am enjoying this one quite a bit and will see what else they have. Fortunately this isn't pure Jazz which I dislike as much as hip-hop.

So far I don not see the one Kal recommended.
Not criticising in the least, just pointing out that saying “pure Jazz’ is a lot like saying ‘pure Whisky’.....
It was a great movie....predictable of course because it’s history, but very enjoyable nontheless. I’m really tired of the standard megadeath violence serial killer machinegunemall Netflix fodder and Green Book made a very refreshing change with really fascinating and engaging characters and some brilliant acting

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing