Greenline Yachts

carl13

Feb 6, 2020
nope.my mind is more on this one......

head for the great wide open......
Mike, I've been talking to Nordhaven about the N41 since it was announced 4/20. I really like the layout and the company's outstanding reputation.

My plans have changed, and I'm looking to move Florida, live on a boat (my brother lives on the intracoastal, so I have a dock), do the Great Loop and go to the BVI.

With a 39 or 40 Greenline, I can do most of the Great Loop on electric power without the need of a generator or shore power. Under diesel power these boats are twice as fast as the N41. They also have a shallower draft, which is an advantage on parts of the intracoastal. If I start with a 39 or 40, I'll probably upgrade to the new Greenline 45 coupe when it comes out.

G45.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I've been talking to Nordhaven about the N41 since it was announced 4/20. I really like the layout and the company's outstanding reputation.

My plans have changed, and I'm looking to move Florida, live on a boat (my brother lives on the intracoastal, so I have a dock), do the Great Loop and go to the BVI.

With a 39 or 40 Greenline, I can do most of the Great Loop on electric power without the need of a generator or shore power. Under diesel power these boats are twice as fast as the N41. They also have a shallower draft, which is an advantage on parts of the intracoastal. If I start with a 39 or 40, I'll probably upgrade to the new Greenline 45 coupe when it comes out.
good luck and enjoy whichever way you go. i do like the look of the Greenline. agree for what you are talking about it does sound ideal.

not sure my wife has the appetite for a boat as serious as the Nordhavn. so that will be my tipping point. working 6 days a week, not had boats since the kids moved out 25 years ago. cruising to Alaska is my intention at some point.....taking my own sweet time doing it. the Nordhavn is perfect for that.....the small one especially.

Reactions: carl13 and Folsom

carl13

Feb 6, 2020
good luck and enjoy whichever way you go. i do like the look of the Greenline. agree for what you are talking about it does sound ideal.

not sure my wife has the appetite for a boat as serious as the Nordhavn. so that will be my tipping point. working 6 days a week, not had boats since the kids moved out 25 years ago. cruising to Alaska is my intention at some point.....taking my own sweet time doing it. the Nordhavn is perfect for that.....the small one especially.
Mike-

New N41 video:

Nice to see old people like me are still buying new boats. This maybe the first N41 they've delivered.

BTW, suggest you take a look at the Helmsman 43E.

Vienna

VIP/Donor

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
You are right, these boats have nothing to do with luxury.

looking for a 41 foot power boat you can reliably cross oceans with? it's the only one designed for it specifically. many owners might never use it that way, but the fact it can do that is the ultimate luxury and peace of mind that the boat will not be the limit to what you can do.....or where you can do it. you just can't be in a hurry. it's not a weekend, or even a 2 week, cruiser. with lots of foo-foo. it's all business. if you look close, it has build quality nothing in it's price range will come close to. it has to be that way to do it's thing.

the term used to describe this type of boat is 'Passagemaker' or 'Expedition Passagemaker' for the larger versions.

this particular model of Nordhavn is not the ideal ocean crosser due to it's salon/pilot house set-up, but the boat itself is fully capable. one this size (1 foot smaller) set a record for around the world cruising in a power boat.

Last edited:
Reactions: carl13

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Mike I am in the yachting business for many years. The most of our yachts, at the end of the Med Season, are crossing each year the Atlantic for the Caribbean Season.

Boats’ seaworthiness is related to the crew experience and capacity

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

carl13

Feb 6, 2020
Mike I am in the yachting business for many years. The most of our yachts, at the end of the Med Season, are crossing each year the Atlantic for the Caribbean Season.

Boats’ seaworthiness is related to the crew experience and capacity

How did the fire on the MV Adventure in the Philippines have anything to do with "Boats’ seaworthiness is related to the crew experience and capacity?"

• Haha
Reactions: Vienna

Vienna

VIP/Donor
you havent read the whole article,
have you?
Quote...Adventure is the third 62 to be destroyed by accident. Grey Pearl was also destroyed by fire. The Charlotte B was a total loss after running aground on Mexico's Baja peninsula due to human error. A video of the latter's wrecked hull follows the gallery.....unquote

carl13

Feb 6, 2020
you havent read the whole article,
have you?
Quote...Adventure is the third 62 to be destroyed by accident. Grey Pearl was also destroyed by fire. The Charlotte B was a total loss after running aground on Mexico's Baja peninsula due to human error. A video of the latter's wrecked hull follows the gallery.....unquote
I read the article, what was the cause of the fire on the MV Adventure while it sat at the dock? And how does that relate to it's seaworthiness?

• Haha
Reactions: Vienna

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm not saying I'm a captain but... boats are not crazy hard to drive. But perhaps not everyone should...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'm not saying I'm a captain but... boats are not crazy hard to drive. But perhaps not everyone should...

the sea can be cruel. just try to get insurance on a 40 foot plus size, high 6 figure or 7 figure boat. their expectations for your skill set will bring reality to you. and they have the actuarial tables to justify those expectations.

some people never even figure out proper safe anchoring processes. actually a very involved subject matter. lots of interesting stories to be read. a book i purchased recently. it could keep you on dry land.

"not crazy hard".......maybe? but the price for a mistake could be serious indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA and Vienna

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
the sea can be cruel. just try to get insurance on a 40 foot plus size, high 6 figure or 7 figure boat. their expectations for your skill set will bring reality to you. and they have the actuarial tables to justify those expectations.

some people never even figure out proper safe anchoring processes. actually a very involved subject matter. lots of interesting stories to be read. a book i purchased recently. it could keep you on dry land.

"not crazy hard".......maybe? but the price for a mistake could be serious indeed.

I'm not sure when, if ever, I'll get to reading a book about anchors.

However I am a fan of Casual Navigation. Well and anchor fail videos for big boats are interesting. I find boat stuff really interesting, but all we have is lakes so it's super casual. If I moved to the coast and could spend the extra money I'd consider a Yacht just for going to Canada with. (hopefully a possibility sooner than later) Although I wouldn't probably be focusing on luxury, well maybe... not sure.

I admit I'm interested in VanDutch Yachts. If not something like that, then something surprisingly sea worthy like one I happened across while just looking at boats that had a gyro in it even though it wasn't a huge boat (not a small cheap gyro either). Stuff that's too in-between just isn't very interesting.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'm not sure when, if ever, I'll get to reading a book about anchors.

the book is only peripherally about anchors, more about safe anchoring. best not to leave the dock without a plan.

many boaters rarely deal with complicated anchoring situations. so it's not a relevant subject for many. but for those who do, it's a big part of the whole deal.

Reactions: Folsom

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I don't get it, are you just suppose to sit in uncomfortable places while you travel for luxury? Where do you lay in the sun?
In addition, Considering the calm sea condition, notice the hull’s pitching and the total lack of a swimming platform

Reactions: Folsom

carl13

Feb 6, 2020
I don't get it, are you just suppose to sit in uncomfortable places while you travel for luxury? Where do you lay in the sun?
Glad you enjoyed the the video, here's another one showing the N41's luxury:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing