Greetings to all

Surfski

Apr 7, 2020
Given I've already been posting on another thread, I thought I should introduce myself.I'm a Kiwi , but currently working in Australia to help out at an interesting time. So I'm currently sans music but not sans hope.
I've been a music lover for 40 years. Not sure where that came from, my father loved the Russian composers but I didn't see much of him growing up.Its only been in the last 20 or so years that gear has become of interest.
My major musical tastes are classical and jazz , al;though I'm partial to acoustic Springsteen- go figure :). Mainly vinyl if I had a choice but i reckon that good music is good music no matter what the media so I am quite happy to listen to digital. I haven't embraced streaming yet.
My first proper system was an Onkyo based system with some early Monitor Audio speakers. I went from there to a taste of higher end ( and my first exposure to tubes) with a system based around the ARC LS15 pre with a Plinius SA100 amp. I still remember walking to the dealers and chatting to them about speaker options. They had the exact electronics in store and set them up with a pair of Shahininan ARC's. I was smitten. Ordered a pair on the spot. they let me take the shop pair of Obelisks home to tide me over- they never got them back ;-).I lived with that set up for many years.
I shifted towns at that point and established one of the great friendships of my life with a dealer in my new city. We shared a love of Mahler which helped.But with his guidance, my system shifted around a wee bit ( always with ARC gear, culminating in a full reference set up of pre, phono and power). Speakers ended up with Thiel ( he was a big fan , so I started with 2.4's them the 3.7's). Again, lived with that for a good few years. Again, due to his help , sources shifted ( vinyl from Thorens to my current SME30 , CDP from an ARC CD9 to a meridian 808 to my current Esoteric KO1X. He also showed me how much difference a good mono cart can make- it's a while ago now but I can still vividly remember one evening he brought over a Dynavector XV1S mono cart- we sat utterly transfixed listening to Walters' Das Lied van Erde. We both had tears in our eyes.He's retired now but we're still great friends.
A change of house necessitated a move to a slighty smaller listening room. This proved an opportune time to scratch an itch I'd had for some time- low power amps with sensitive speakers. Much research and trips to hear options , and establishing a relationship with new dealers who were of massive help . But finally a decision made.
So , for this who have made it this far
Sources: SME 30/V , Esoteric KO1X, Aurender W10
Amps: Shindo Monbrison , Shindo Cortese 300B ( also an Auditorium 23 Hommage SUT)
Speakers: Auditorium Hommage Ken
Cabling: Auditorium 23.
I'm the happiest I've ever been with this set up. End Game? No, I lust after a Shindo Vosnee Romanee pre and I'd love to hear a pair of Shindo field coils but if I did nothing else I'd still be happy.
My room was modified extensively in the usual way but I always had the feeling it was slightly over treated. I read somewhere where a forum luminary ( Peter A I think) took advice from DDK so I thought what the hell. Ripped all the acoustic treatment out , replaced with 2 panels form Stillpoints and was just stunned at the difference. Less is more. So to those two gentlemen, many thanks !
I have most of the music I want- there is one Holy Grail LP I'm after, been looking for for years. I have it on CD but would love to have it on vinyl;. Chances of finding it are close to zero but I'll keep hunting.
Apologies for the length. When I get back home I'll post a few photos.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Surfski, you're not only a key worker, but you have a key system. Fantastic on both fronts. Our systems are an escape and stress buster for all of us, but in yr case that must literally be true. We cannot comprehend what you're having to go thru.

Don't add to yr stress re the search for that magic album Lol.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Surfski

Apr 7, 2020
Hah. Thanks Spirit. I'd only be stressed if I thought there was a chance of getting it. Fun looking though.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thrill of the chase and all that.
I totally understand if you don't wanna divulge what it is.

You should reach out to ZeroStarGeneral. If he doesn't have a copy, probably noone does.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I always fancied Scully from the XFiles, but realised a poster and all the episodes on LaserDisc was probably more realistic than any chance of a date w her Lol.

Surfski

Apr 7, 2020
Scully- droll drool..
I forgot to mention my great lost love in the above Epistle. A Loricraft restored 301 , Shindo bearing and platter, Lignolab plinth and a EMT997 arm. Sold it so I could get the SME. I love the SME but the damn the only piece of gear I've ever regretted moving on was that Garrad.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Surfski, a Shindo-modded 301. That SME 30 will have to be pretty special for you to have moved on. I've gone from two belt drives to direct rim drive and cannot imagine ever moving back or being compelled to consider it. But the 30 certainly is a final upgrade tt in it's own right.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Surfski,

Thanks again for all your hard work on the front lines.

I have heard the whole Shindo set up including the speakers, and also a copy of their speakers.

Separately, an aged respected audiophile in the UK passed away last month and his gear is on sale. If you or anyone else is interested, it has Shindo Giscours, and the D'yquems. Not sure what has been sold yet but I am sure the pre was.

He used to own the Shindo 301 and another top 301 modded by audiograil in the UK. Those have been sold. In his system we both preferred the Schopper TD 124. For me the difference was quite substantial. He also owned the SME 30/2 and Lagrange with Da Vinci grandezza arm and preferred the idlers to all of them

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Well, I always fancied Scully from the XFiles, but realised a poster and all the episodes on LaserDisc was probably more realistic than any chance of a date w her Lol.
Scully from the early episodes or later episodes. That will tell me your preference. ;)

Surfski

Apr 7, 2020
Surfski, a Shindo-modded 301. That SME 30 will have to be pretty special for you to have moved on. I've gone from two belt drives to direct rim drive and cannot imagine ever moving back or being compelled to consider it. But the 30 certainly is a final upgrade tt in it's own right.

At the time , I had 2 tables. An Oracle Delphi mark VI and the Garrard. Preferred the 301 by a long margin. I'd always had a hankering to own an SME ( having heard a 30 at my friend/dealer'e house). AT the time , the only way I could afford it was to move the other two on. Don't miss the Oracle, still miss the Garrard. Won't ever get the like again- the Shindo bearing upgrade was a one off for me- they'd stopped doing tables by then.But when all this other crap settles , I do want another non belt drive table. Different flavours and all that. I've never heard a TD124 but I am aware of the enthusiasm for them.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Every season, a different Scully. I love them all, I just cannot choose. I won't choose.

"A Scully for all seasons".

This goes WAY beyond analog v digital or tubes v SS or horns v boxes.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Given I've already been posting on another thread, I thought I should introduce myself.I'm a Kiwi , but currently working in Australia to help out at an interesting time. So I'm currently sans music but not sans hope.
I've been a music lover for 40 years. Not sure where that came from, my father loved the Russian composers but I didn't see much of him growing up.Its only been in the last 20 or so years that gear has become of interest.
My major musical tastes are classical and jazz , al;though I'm partial to acoustic Springsteen- go figure :). Mainly vinyl if I had a choice but i reckon that good music is good music no matter what the media so I am quite happy to listen to digital. I haven't embraced streaming yet.
My first proper system was an Onkyo based system with some early Monitor Audio speakers. I went from there to a taste of higher end ( and my first exposure to tubes) with a system based around the ARC LS15 pre with a Plinius SA100 amp. I still remember walking to the dealers and chatting to them about speaker options. They had the exact electronics in store and set them up with a pair of Shahininan ARC's. I was smitten. Ordered a pair on the spot. they let me take the shop pair of Obelisks home to tide me over- they never got them back ;-).I lived with that set up for many years.
I shifted towns at that point and established one of the great friendships of my life with a dealer in my new city. We shared a love of Mahler which helped.But with his guidance, my system shifted around a wee bit ( always with ARC gear, culminating in a full reference set up of pre, phono and power). Speakers ended up with Thiel ( he was a big fan , so I started with 2.4's them the 3.7's). Again, lived with that for a good few years. Again, due to his help , sources shifted ( vinyl from Thorens to my current SME30 , CDP from an ARC CD9 to a meridian 808 to my current Esoteric KO1X. He also showed me how much difference a good mono cart can make- it's a while ago now but I can still vividly remember one evening he brought over a Dynavector XV1S mono cart- we sat utterly transfixed listening to Walters' Das Lied van Erde. We both had tears in our eyes.He's retired now but we're still great friends.
A change of house necessitated a move to a slighty smaller listening room. This proved an opportune time to scratch an itch I'd had for some time- low power amps with sensitive speakers. Much research and trips to hear options , and establishing a relationship with new dealers who were of massive help . But finally a decision made.
So , for this who have made it this far
Sources: SME 30/V , Esoteric KO1X, Aurender W10
Amps: Shindo Monbrison , Shindo Cortese 300B ( also an Auditorium 23 Hommage SUT)
Speakers: Auditorium Hommage Ken
Cabling: Auditorium 23.
I'm the happiest I've ever been with this set up. End Game? No, I lust after a Shindo Vosnee Romanee pre and I'd love to hear a pair of Shindo field coils but if I did nothing else I'd still be happy.
My room was modified extensively in the usual way but I always had the feeling it was slightly over treated. I read somewhere where a forum luminary ( Peter A I think) took advice from DDK so I thought what the hell. Ripped all the acoustic treatment out , replaced with 2 panels form Stillpoints and was just stunned at the difference. Less is more. So to those two gentlemen, many thanks !
I have most of the music I want- there is one Holy Grail LP I'm after, been looking for for years. I have it on CD but would love to have it on vinyl;. Chances of finding it are close to zero but I'll keep hunting.
Apologies for the length. When I get back home I'll post a few photos.

Welcome Surfski. Lovely post. I also loved the Obelisks though never owned them. Invariably Dick Shahinin had some of the best sound at shows with those speakers, and often set them up behind a white sheet so nobody could see them. He was also incredibly knowledgeable about music and was recommending great sounding LPs and CDs before it was fashionable, but unlike many, the performances had to be exceptional. PS, there are several Mahlerites on the Forum. Enjoy.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
At the time , I had 2 tables. An Oracle Delphi mark VI and the Garrard. Preferred the 301 by a long margin. I'd always had a hankering to own an SME ( having heard a 30 at my friend/dealer'e house). AT the time , the only way I could afford it was to move the other two on. Don't miss the Oracle, still miss the Garrard. Won't ever get the like again- the Shindo bearing upgrade was a one off for me- they'd stopped doing tables by then.But when all this other crap settles , I do want another non belt drive table. Different flavours and all that. I've never heard a TD124 but I am aware of the enthusiasm for them.

Welcome Surf' to the forum and Kudos for your frontline effort in the trenches from us all!

Just an aside, nice system you have there ,but frankly you were right to move on the Shindo 301--while the bearing is excellent--the platter has a major flaw that seriously degrades the sound.
If you want to know what it is ask Bob Mortimer ( who's father designed the 301).

Stay safe,
BruceD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bruce, us idler fanatics would like to know. I always thought the issue w Garrards was rumble, not the platter.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Welcome to you Surfski, i appreciate your hard work in these troubled times, and urge you to keep informing us from the “front lines”. We are a mixed “band of brothers” on WBF and i am sure you will fit right in.:)

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Bruce, us idler fanatics would like to know. I always thought the issue w Garrards was rumble, not the platter.

Hi, I won't open can of worms on the site--but I shall go back through my dealing with Terry /Bob at Loricraft on those points
and see if I can locate the findings /pics and correspondence that transpired at the time 016/017.
Terry was not in the best of health at the time -and I think he is no longer involved with the running/etc.

If I can find the info I'll pin it down to the basic details and PM or contact you offline or privately.

BruceD

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Welcome and good on ya for helping on the front lines.
What is this unicorn of an album you seek?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing