Grimm MU1 vs Aurender N30SA vs Taiko Audio

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
It might be apropos to remind everyone that the Internet runs on millions of miles of generic cable. The TCP/IP protocol that transports terabytes of data along the web every second of every day is built to be remarkably fault tolerant, originally designed so that the network would still function even if large parts were taken down by a nuclear strike (the basic architecture of the Internet was designed in the 1960s).
Fault tolerant for computer data is a bit different from high SQ digital audio. It's not just "bits is bits."

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Fault tolerant for computer data is a bit different from high SQ digital audio. It's not just "bits is bits."
Exactly. With high end audio, what matters is that the right bits arrived at exactly the right time and nothing else came along for the ride.

TCP/IP only guarantees that the right bits get transmitted. It can do nothing to address noise nor can it guarantee that the bits are supplied to the DAC at exactly the right time.

Mark Jones

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 9, 2014
Yes! It’s very good. However, it still fails to deliver the punch I desire in soft rock. It’s too polite IMO - that is for my taste!
Yes it's polite for sure, but please tell me you were using the AES output and not USB when you initially evaluated the MU1. The MU1's magic is only realized via the AES output.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Yes it's polite for sure, but please tell me you were using the AES output and not USB when you initially evaluated the MU1. The MU1's magic is only realized via the AES output.
and choosing the right oversampling rate (3 available) for your particular DAC (right according to your ears).

Mikeg1

Aug 17, 2020
Hello, I too changed to AES from USB out of my Grimm MU1 and it is better! I am very interested in the N30, waiting on its certification as a Roon endpoint. I want to run Roon Core on my Grimm MU1 in my second system, and then possibly use the N30 as streamer in my best system. I understand Roon may not be best sound quality, but I do enjoy its music selections. I have modded my MU1 with a new ethernet cable inside it, replacing the stock generic 1 foot cable. It makes a big difference. Even so much so, that running roon core on this MU1 and then using the Tambaqui internal streamer (bridge) now sounds much better in the second system, even without a dedicated streamer!

fast.freight: I want to know what internal ethernet cable you upgrade to in the MU1?

Questions for the group: I am looking to upgrade from an AfterDark Rossana Server to the Grimm Audio MU1. In my system, I want to incorporate the Theoretica BACCH4MAC Processor/Roon Endpoint so I plan to maintain the following set-up using Wireworld Platinum ethernet cables: Google Fiber Router-Fidelizer AirStream2 switch-Grimm MU1 to A side of Uptone Audio EtherRegen-Waversa REF LAN filter (connected to B side of EtherRegen)-(all ethernet)BACCH4MAC-USB output to Ayon Audio Kronos Ultimate DAC/Preamp. From the reviews, the use of the AES digital cable from the Grimm to DAC takes full advantage of the FPGA chip processing as compared the ethernet connection. I would be buying a current Grimm MU1 directly from Grimm which has the latest internal upgrade. Any inputs?

It looks like I need to move the Grimm MU1 before the DAC and skip the BACCH4MAC so I connect the Grimm using the AES digital out for optimum performance. If I want to maintain the ethernet chain as originally planned, what Server is recommended (Pink Faun, Taiko, Grimm, Antipodes, or Lumin) using all ethernet connections up until the BACCH4MAC?

Last edited:

daveoo

Jan 27, 2019
I think fast.freight has made some changes since his last post here, they are interesting.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Hello, I modified my system signature to reflect the MU1 internal modification.
Well worth it!

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
TCP/IP only guarantees that the right bits get transmitted. It can do nothing to address noise nor can it guarantee that the bits are supplied to the DAC at exactly the right time.

The timing of the bits is a red herring. It matters at the dac data input generally speaking (in many dacs the data input is not particularly jitter sensitive anyway), but it's really unimportant in the ethernet packets. There are all sort of mechanisms aligning, bufferring and reclocking data between ethernet and dac, especially in well engineered high end dacs.

Doc76

Aug 29, 2023
United States
For what it’s worth, different systems may present different results, but I’ve had the Grimm MU1, Aurender N30SA, and the Taiko Audio Extreme all in my system. Taiko was the winner, with the N30SA being app 10-15% of it and the Grimm not even close to the N30SA. Needless to say I own a Taiko.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
The timing of the bits is a red herring. It matters at the dac data input generally speaking (in many dacs the data input is not particularly jitter sensitive anyway), but it's really unimportant in the ethernet packets. There are all sort of mechanisms aligning, bufferring and reclocking data between ethernet and dac, especially in well engineered high end dacs.
The existence of this thread proves that it is not a red herring. That music servers still bring substantial improvements, despite the fact that DACs feature all these mechanisms, tells us that this is an extremely difficult problem to solve. Reducing noise to a point where it can no longer negatively impact sound quality isn’t yet possible.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Taiko was the winner, with the N30SA being app 10-15% of it and the Grimm not even close to the N30SA.
Hello, can you clarify please? The N30SA performed at 15 % while the Extreme was 100%? And the Grimm was then below 0%? Thanks.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Thanks for clarifying.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing