GrooveMaster II Tonearms

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Correct sliding base or rotary lift.

Btw 'easy vta' was/is made by another company, and for a time was sold also by AudioCreative. That one is different than the current heavy vta base.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
No, it is not suitable for the sliding base, as already mentioned.
But it replaces the normal basic base. The diameter of the hole in the tonearm-base is the same, so you can change it without any problem.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Hello Leif,

I have read your posts regarding the Groovemaster tonearm, it seems that you are delighted with it. After reading The Korf Blog issue 60 I was very surprised about Alex's comments regarding the difficulty he had setting it up. He described the tonearm as a mixture of the sublime and the infuriating. This review was written almost three years ago. What's your opinion, is Alex wrong?

Cheers,

Horacio

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The new vta base improves that aspect of setup. The mk3 version has also improved counterweight adjustment ( korf focused on that ).

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Oh and the mk2 arm can be upgraded with both

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
I recently sold my SME 3009 S2 split weight tonearm, I bought it new in 1972 for £29 when I was living in London.

I am looking for another arm and considering the GrooveMaster. My plinth was built by Russ Collinson specifically for a 9" tonearm, please see photo, and I am not sure if it will be a good fit. My SME was about centred in the slot, and I would need to move back by about 11 mm or more from that position to fit the Groovemaster. Was this arm built specifically for the Ortofon SPU? I understand that it will work well with the Denon DL 103 but I do not like this cartridge.

I am also considering the new Korf tonearm.

Cheers,

Horacio

Attachments

• IMG_4597_2.JPG
    IMG_4597_2.JPG
    467.9 KB · Views: 15

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
9" groove master is 229mm p2s...pretty common size.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I like how Korf writes about their journey, and their transparency with objective measurement. Yet to be seen if the arm actually sounds good but I am watching :)

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I recently sold my SME 3009 S2 split weight tonearm, I bought it new in 1972 for £29 when I was living in London.

I am looking for another arm and considering the GrooveMaster. My plinth was built by Russ Collinson specifically for a 9" tonearm, please see photo, and I am not sure if it will be a good fit. My SME was about centred in the slot, and I would need to move back by about 11 mm or more from that position to fit the Groovemaster. Was this arm built specifically for the Ortofon SPU? I understand that it will work well with the Denon DL 103 but I do not like this cartridge.

I am also considering the new Korf tonearm.

Cheers,

Horacio
I have a Classic Turntable Company Garrard 301 on a Russ Collinson base. I am using the modified 3012 S2 arm that I have had for 25 years. I have just ordered a Bokrand AB-309 12" tonearm. This arm has the lowest tracking error of all the pivoted arms (except for the pivoted linear tracking arms such as the Schroeder), and is designed to work with the SPU. However, it has a spindle to pivot distance of 309 mm. The position of the sliding base you have will not accommodate this arm (or any 12" arm for that matter), and you will need to add an extension. You can ask Russ to make you one. Or, you can add a separate base and run two arms. Check this one out: https://www.acoustand.co.uk/collect...arm-pods-for-all-applications-premium-product

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Russ had been planning for the last year or so to have a break from plinth making to concentrate on his house renovation and on making videos for his youtube channel which has been going quite well so he thought it is extremely unlikely that he will come back to plinth making unfortunately.

I had an Acoustand plinth, awful and poorly bilt, Lee used MDF not plywood, even the cheap plinths made in Moldova are better. It was unfinished, he would not paint it, so I had it lacquered at a local woodshop. Anyway, I was extremely lucky and sold it. Please see photo.

Attachments

• IMG_4430.JPG
    IMG_4430.JPG
    389.9 KB · Views: 13

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Russ had been planning for the last year or so to have a break from plinth making to concentrate on his house renovation and on making videos for his youtube channel which has been going quite well so he thought it is extremely unlikely that he will come back to plinth making unfortunately.

I had an Acoustand plinth, awful and poorly bilt, Lee used MDF not plywood, even the cheap plinths made in Moldova are better. It was unfinished, he would not paint it, so I had it lacquered at a local woodshop. Anyway, I was extremely lucky and sold it. Please see photo.
The Acoustand tonearm pods look OK. Do you think they will be poorly made too ?

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Not to contradict anyone else's experience, but I like the SP10mk2 plinth Lee at Acoustand made me. It may not be as lux as some other makers' plinths, but it's much more reasonably priced IMO.

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
The Acoustand tonearm pods look OK. Do you think they will be poorly made too ?
Sorry mate but I had no idea what tonearm pods were. I do not have the answer to your question, they are machine made, plinths are another thing. Why would you want to add more links to your audio chain?

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Not to contradict anyone else's experience, but I like the SP10mk2 plinth Lee at Acoustand made me. It may not be as lux as some other makers' plinths, but it's much more reasonably priced IMO.
I was not talking about fancy plinths. Just compare the simple computer controlled router work, done in approximately two hours, in the photo I posted and the work done by Russ Collinson video or Carl Ellis, hundred percent hand crafted to perfection, sealed and lacquered plinths.

But the point is that you are satisfied with yours and that is what counts.

Cheers,

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Sorry mate but I had no idea what tonearm pods were. I do not have the answer to your question, they are machine made, plinths are another thing. Why would you want to add more links to your audio chain?
Adding a tonearm pod is an alternative to buying a new plinth to accommodate a longer arm, or adding an extension to your existing plinth. If you want to keep a 9" arm, you can add the 12" arm on a separate pod. Your plinth will not be able to accommodate a 12" arm as is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing