GrooveMaster II Tonearms

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Easy VTA is a good one (and can be bought on Ebay), I do use it for all JELCO compatible products, like the Audioquest Tonearm.

IMG_2541.jpg IMG_2542.jpg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Reactions: Jamesdonahue

sonyfan101

Sep 2, 2019
I am trying to decide between a 12" Groovemaster, Schick or Bokrand for my 301 project.. to use with EMT and SPUs. I know some friends here own at least 2 of the 3. I am leaning towards the Groovemaster for their after sales service and ease of adjustment.

I know comparing tonearms is a massive PITA but anyone have any comments on how these arms stack up sonically?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Are you in a position to compare? I have some opinions, but planning an actual shootout would be educational and include your own personal preferences.

Armboard prep for the GM and Schick is similar...

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I am trying to decide between a 12" Groovemaster, Schick or Bokrand for my 301 project.. to use with EMT and SPUs. I know some friends here own at least 2 of the 3. I am leaning towards the Groovemaster for their after sales service and ease of adjustment.

I know comparing tonearms is a massive PITA but anyone have any comments on how these arms stack up sonically?

Theyre both easy enough to operate, but Ortofon lift is shitty so I bought FR lift from Audiosilente..dropin replacement with 14mm dia...
Easy VTA for Groovemaster can also be used for Bokrand with a thin sheet of something as "spacer"to fill 0,4-5 mm dia diff

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Also take a look at the Timestep arm. Same DNA as the Groovemaster, they're made by the same OEM manufacturer but there are differences, can't remember think it's the anti-skate

sonyfan101

Sep 2, 2019
I decided to go for the Bokrand arm. As far as gimbal designs go it appears much better value for money than the other two. Very disturbing reports of poor QC by Schick as well

nemu

Jun 25, 2018
Also take a look at the Timestep arm. Same DNA as the Groovemaster, they're made by the same OEM manufacturer but there are differences, can't remember think it's the anti-skate

The Timestep tonearms are also made by Audio Creative in Netherlands.. As far as I know they are identical to the Groovemaster tonearms you can buy direct from Audio Creative. The only difference I know, ist the length of the timestep tonearms which slightly differ from the length of the tonearms Audio Creative offers. Since 2019 the Groovemaster ist deliverd with an own custom made tonearm lift. Not with the Jelco tonearmlift any more. The Timestep arms seem still use the Jelco lifts.

The Timestep tonearms are available in the following dimensions:

• T-609 The 9? version can be used in many applications and we prefer it to both the SME 309 and SME V. This version is eminently suitable for new SME, Avid and Michell turntables and to upgrade many others.
Effective mass 26g Pivot to spindle 214mm

• T-610 The 10? version fits many classic Japanese turntables and outperforms the discontinued SME 310.
Effective mass 28g Pivot to spindle 240mm

• T-612 The 12? transcription version is recommended for the Garrard 301, 401, TD124, L75 and many others. We think it’s better than the SME 312S and the SME V12
Effective mass 29g Pivot to spindle 290mm

The Groovemaster tonearms have the following length:
1586673600012.jpeg

Compare the length in mm of Timestep and Groovemaster arms.

Additional as a special customer service, the guys from Audio Creative will build you any length you want. Just ask them.

Best Regards
Stephan

Last edited:
Reactions: shakti
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Can you give us an update on the Grovermaster. Are you happy with this tonearm?
hi
yes I´m very happy with both the build quality, handling and sound
actually considering buying another for my upcoming daVa Fc 1A
then it will be ordered with the extra pair of cables for the Fc voltage...
in my opinion the EasyVTA is a necessary extra....
highly recommended

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The GMII is almost without peer in this price range and a very well built arm. If you want higher mass and under $3k not much else to look at, certainly not new arms at any rate, imho. (Caveat: I don't know how much the Bokrand mentioned above sells for ...)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Reactions: nemu

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
As far as I know they are identical to the Groovemaster tonearms you can buy direct from Audio Creative. The only difference I know, ist the length of the timestep tonearms which slightly differ from the length of the tonearms Audio Creative offers.

Best Regards
Stephan

The Timestep includes a magnetic anti-skate arrangement which wasn't available on the Groovemaster when I was looking a couple of years ago, don't know if they've integrated it into the design since.

I didn't get to hear a Timestep or Groovemaster in a known system but some I know did, surprisingly none of them kept them long, respectful but not glowing in their praise.

In terms of modestly priced underrated arms (and if a detachable headshell isn't a prerequisite) Funk Firm, FXR-3 is fabulous.

nemu

Jun 25, 2018
The Groovemaster II also has a magnetic antiskating.

I have two Groovemaster II tonearms, which I am very satiesfied with. My second Groovemaster replaced a Schick tonarm I had before.

For this price I do not know anything better listening to my Ortofon SPUs. It is specially made for cartridges with a low compliance, like a Ortofon SPU. The build quality is great. I personally did not see any second hand Groovemaster tonearms on the European market yet. All the people I know of having a Groovemaster a very happy with it.

Here a link to what Art Dudley hast to say about the Groovemaster II:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-182-audio-creative-groovemaster-ii-tonearm

@defride
Looking at the technical data of the Funk Firm tonearm you mentioned, it does not seem to be made for SPU or other cartridges with a low compliance.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing