GrooveMaster II Tonearms

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Heard back from AC and there is still no news on when the EasyVTA will be available again. So, they are going to refund me on that and send another base. AC said the new base now has soft tip set screws. This is a good update, had planned on sourcing my own. Never understood the design of hard steel set screws mating to the soft aluminum. The base screw which locks in the arm height is already a soft tip.

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Heard back from AC and there is still no news on when the EasyVTA will be available again. So, they are going to refund me on that and send another base. AC said the new base now has soft tip set screws. This is a good update, had planned on sourcing my own. Never understood the design of hard steel set screws mating to the soft aluminum. The base screw which locks in the arm height is already a soft tip.
My Ikeda 345 had those screws as well, a much better solution than metal in metal. Take some picks of the arm mounted on the table when it’s complete. Hopefully it meets your expectations.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
I see what you are suggesting but I don't recall if I tried it that way. I'll give that a try tomorrow.
any joy with that method ?
a better way to do a side clamping arrangement would be have 2 set screws on one side and a single on the other - although 2 sliding rails under with a vertical screws and a vertical taper on the sled and base would be the best

djsina2

May 30, 2019
a better way to do a side clamping arrangement would be have 2 set screws on one side and a single on the other - although 2 sliding rails under with a vertical screws and a vertical taper on the sled and base would be the best

I hadn’t tried since the next day AC said they were sending a new base. I just went and tried. Started by using only one screw. It did remove some of the movement but it’s still unacceptable. With the one screw in use I added the second and that made no noticeable difference. We’ll see what happens with a new base but I agree I think there could be a better design. I made a video but it looks like I cannot attach it here.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

The 3012R solution is very good. And the SME V has an extremely clever solution to this exact problem.

nemu

Jun 25, 2018
My new base finally arrived today on the slow boat from the Netherlands. This new base appears to have resolved my issues.

Thats great! Enjoy your Groovemaster.
Regards Stephan

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
ok
I thought they improved it....the solution is not good enough
the sliding part should be inserted under an overhang/lip of some sort

djsina2

May 30, 2019
ok
I thought they improved it....the solution is not good enough
the sliding part should be inserted under an overhang/lip of some sort

No, it is still the same design. The only change is soft tip set screws. I agree, the design is not great but at least the arm is not rocking back and forth now.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
pity they go flat-face on such an important detail
the rest of the arm is great
I´m sure I can have a mechanic cnc a much more rigid one...anyway now I use it on another arm and the Groovemaster is equipped with an Easy Vta
hope they make the sliding base Easy VTA more rigid

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
My GrooveMaster is currently stuck somewhere between Europe and the USA. :(

djsina2

May 30, 2019
My GrooveMaster is currently stuck somewhere between Europe and the USA. :(

They use the slowest shipping option possible. It’s anywhere from 2-4 weeks in transit. I wasn’t kidding about being on the slow boat.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
My system is all apart now while I wait on speakers which are delayed due to coronavirus. Figured I’d do a makeover on my listening room while I’ve got the time.
What speakers are you going to?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
the main reason I guess is fewer flights and severely reduced handling capacity all over
my peripheral weight from Waynes Audio left US on the 28th of march and I got it a couple of days ago
force majeure I guess

djsina2

May 30, 2019
the main reason I guess is fewer flights and severely reduced handling capacity all over
my peripheral weight from Waynes Audio left US on the 28th of march and I got it a couple of days ago
force majeure I guess

The original delivery before the coronavirus was terribly slow too, took a couple weeks. I think they use the slowest possible shipping option. I got a new arm from Italy last week in only 2 days.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing