Gryphon Antileon Signature or Antileon Evo

davros

Sep 4, 2014
Hi All

I have an opportunity to buy a Gryphon Anitileon Signature or Evo amplifier, stereo. As I have no ability to listen to either model, wondering if anyone has compared the two and if so, could describe the differences?
The Evo is significantly more expensive so trying to work out if the cost is justified.

Thanks

davros

Sep 4, 2014
Also, would you pair it with either the Zena or Pandora preamplifier or go with another preamplifier?

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Go for the Evo if you can.
i think the Pandora is a very good pre amplifier, I know that some members here would propose you other options.
check CH precision too, I had listened Ch pre with a Mephisto and it was superb too.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
You won’t go wrong with either power amp.
I had a Colosseum and in my system the Evo is comfortably better.
Mine is mated to the Mirage preamplifier and is a stunning combination.
Pandora and Mirage have more balanced inputs if that is important to you.
Obviously there is a synergy with the Gryphon preamplifiers.

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.
Vienna wrote:
i think the Pandora is a very good pre amplifier, I know that some members here would propose you other options.
check CH precision too, I had listened Ch pre with a Mephisto and it was superb too.

I have previously owned the Pandora - Mephisto (stereo) combination, which is very good. After that I have changed to CH Precision L1 - Memphisto (stereo) which made it superb indeed. Not much later I changed to CH Precision L1 - M1 stereo (which could not get me to forget the Mephisto), later again I changed the stereo M1 to two mono blocks M1.1, and only after this change I was sure that I had a better overall performance. (Possibly the Mephisto solo would make the difference smaller again). So to my opinion Gryphon power amps are right there at the top of SS amplification.

Reactions: Vienna

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Hi Han_n

it is funny because back at this day, at the same studio with the same speakers and the same source, I had listened first to the Mephisto with Pandora, then to the Mephisto with the Ch preamp and lastly to Ch preamp with the Ch Stereo.

for me the Mephisto Stereo was clearly the winner. I went for the Pandora due to the fact that both components were from the same manufacturer

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.
Hi Vienna,

Well, I do not dispute what you are saying. For me it took the M1.1 mono to beat the Mephisto stereo as well. The Mephisto stereo is still a very good performer, and I can imagine that you may prefer that one over a stereo M1. These two are top performers, and you can't really go wrong with either one. Personal taste will come into play as well. As mentioned, I never had a change to compare the Mephisto solo to the M1.1 mono, likely the difference would be smaller.
Never mind, for those asking about Gryphon power amps, I can only give the thumbs up. (I'm using Gryphon Power to power up my bass towers)

Now if you ask me about the comparison Pandora - L1, the outcome is clearer, but you didn't ask, so let's focus on the power amp;).

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Go for the Evo if you can.
I had an audio note (UK) preamp mated to mono Gryphon Colosseum Amps. Superb combination. I find Audio Note and Kondo preamps mate very well with solid state power amps. I have tried them with Goldmund, Soulution and Vitus amps as well.

davros

Sep 4, 2014
Han_n

I’ve owned the L1 so know it well, what are the sound characteristics between the L1 and Pandora.
I also know the M1.1 amp very well and find it to be a brilliant amp.
My only reason to change is both personal and a system matching requirement.

Vienna

Interested too in your observations betweenGryphon pre and power vs CH.

At this level, it’s all about personal taste as I don’t necessarily subscribe to something being better, more different based on system, music genre preferences and taste.

Howiebrou

Great amps. Out of interest, what Audio Note preamp do you have?

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Han_n

I’ve owned the L1 so know it well, what are the sound characteristics between the L1 and Pandora.
I also know the M1.1 amp very well and find it to be a brilliant amp.
My only reason to change is both personal and a system matching requirement.

Vienna

Interested too in your observations between CH pre and power vs CH.

At this level, it’s all about personal taste as I don’t necessarily subscribe to something being better, more different based on system, music genre preferences and taste.

Howiebrou

Great amps. Out of interest, what Audio Note preamp do you have?

long gone but it was a M77 from Kondo. I think adding a tube preamp to a SS amp can sound very good.

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.
@ Davros

"I’ve owned the L1 so know it well, what are the sound characteristics between the L1 and Pandora".

The immediate difference I found is better transparency, in fact it is quite obvious from the moment you listen. (just a bit more open, better defined, better detailing) The difference between the L1 and Pandora is obvious. The Mephisto however is much closer to the CH Precision power amps, and could be a matter of taste. I don't know about matching a L1 with an Evo, but I do know the match between a L1 and the Mephisto performed just wonderfull, and clearly gave a better result as compared to Pandora/Mephisto. I had my son coming over, he also immediately confirmed what I was hearing. Of course, all will depend as well on the ability of the rest of the system to reveal the differences.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: goodsource

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
715 kg.:oops:? Awesome. Have you got a pic?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I have owned and used the Gryphon Mephisto Stereo very good power amp and also the Pandora preamp which is a good preamp bit not really in the league of state of art in my opinion.... I believe that the guys of gryphon are masters in making poweramps but not in preamps preamp designing is another cup of tea.

I have used the Mephisto Stereo whit Robert Koda K10 preamp and that was a wonderful match.

Last edited:

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.
715 kg.:oops:? Awesome. Have you got a pic?
There are many pictures on this forum, however at this moment I'm forced to sell as a result of the prolonged effect of the Corono Pandemic on my business. I hope to be able to buy into my hobby again in due time. The only item not put up for sale is the table/rack. (Shipping costs would likely exceed the cost of the rack) ;)

Reactions: nirodha

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
There are many pictures on this forum, however at this moment I'm forced to sell as a result of the prolonged effect of the Corono Pandemic on my business. I hope to be able to buy into my hobby again in due time. The only item not put up for sale is the table/rack. (Shipping costs would likely exceed the cost of the rack) ;)
Take care and the best of luck!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing