Gryphon Apex Stereo or Mephisto Solos

PT6

Jan 31, 2022
Hi, I need your help. I have to decide purchasing Apex stereo or Mephisto solos. Gryphon brochure and on line web page shows Apex seems better or equivalent to Mephisto solos and slightly cost less On the other hand, Mephisto is still a proven and beloved mono amplifier although it is 8 years old design.

I am on the market to purchase my new amplifier and would appreciate your comment and advice for right decision, GRYPHON_APEX_OPEN-scaled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
In case you haven't watched it yet, the interview with Jeff Fritz from Soundstage on YouTube may be helpful. Includes discussion on design targets for Apex.

PT6

Jan 31, 2022
In case you haven't watched it yet, the interview with Jeff Fritz from Soundstage on YouTube may be helpful. Includes discussion on design targets for Apex.
Yes, I watched YouTube of Laurence and Jeff Fritz together with Rune and Fritz. Seems to be a lot of improvement on Apex compare to Mephisto. I am still wondering between much improved Apex stereo vs Mephisto solos. May be it is not apple to apple comparison.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes, I watched YouTube of Laurence and Jeff Fritz together with Rune and Fritz. Seems to be a lot of improvement on Apex compare to Mephisto. I am still wondering between much improved Apex stereo vs Mephisto solos. May be it is not apple to apple comparison.
It depends on your speakers , if they are very hard to drive then may be memphisto s would be the better choice .
What speakers ? Do you have Eff. and impedance numbers .
Assuming in the gryphons product line newer products should be better then old ones ,so then the Apex would be a logical choice.
Ideally hook em both up for 2 weeks or a month and then decide .

PT6

Jan 31, 2022
It depends on your speakers , if they are very hard to drive then may be memphisto s would be the better choice .
What speakers ? Do you have Eff. and impedance numbers .
Assuming in the gryphons product line newer products should be better then old ones ,so then the Apex would be a logical choice.
Ideally hook em both up for 2 weeks or a month and then decide .

andromedaaudi, I am using Kharma Exquisite Midi and and plan to change with Magico M6.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

andromedaaudi, I am using Kharma Exquisite Midi and and plan to change with Magico M6.

Hai PT ,If you read the specs on the stereo alone , a Apex stereo would probably be more then enough for your speakers .
Its not that the apex stereo is exactly a small amp , lol .
May be you can send the question to the gryphon themselves , if you re a serious customer im sure they can help .
Some dealers will just tell you anything to make a sale, lol .

Ps . I said " some " , a lot of dealers are quit knowledgeable

Last edited:

PT6

Jan 31, 2022
Hai PT ,If you read the specs on the stereo alone , a Apex stereo would probably be more then enough for your speakers .
Its not that the apex stereo is exactly a small amp , lol .
May be you can send the question to the gryphon themselves , if you re a serious customer im sure they can help .
Some dealers will just tell you anything to make a sale, lol .

Ps . I said " some " a lot of dealers are quit knowledgeable
Halo Andromedaaudio, you are right. Especially, Apex stereo cost 25% lower than Mephisto solos.

Reactions: aangen

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
If your spending this kind of money, a dealer should be able to get you a demo of both products. Marty’s write up of the Mephisto is quite compelling.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Halo Andromedaaudio, you are right. Especially, Apex stereo cost 25% lower than Mephisto solos.
Reach out to Joe Cali my gryphon dealer. I have an Apex on order. He is very well known on the east coast.

joecali@earthlink.net

Reactions: aangen

PT6

Jan 31, 2022
If your spending this kind of money, a dealer should be able to get you a demo of both products. Marty’s write up of the Mephisto is quite compellingHi .
Hi dan31, you are right. I like to write up to Gryphon but no contact is available. None of my dealer has Gryphon Mephisto solos and Apex(under production) I wonder why Gryphon does not provide any YouTube with sound of Apex.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi, I need your help. I have to decide purchasing Apex stereo or Mephisto solos. Gryphon brochure and on line web page shows Apex seems better or equivalent to Mephisto solos and slightly cost less On the other hand, Mephisto is still a proven and beloved mono amplifier although it is 8 years old design.

I am on the market to purchase my new amplifier and would appreciate your comment and advice for right decision,

For us consumers I believe that the sonic characteristics of Apex versus Mephisto presently is a very interesting -- and an open -- question.

We do not have members who have heard them side-by-side in a familiar system in a leisurely and controlled comparison.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Hi dan31, you are right. I like to write up to Gryphon but no contact is available. None of my dealer has Gryphon Mephisto solos and Apex(under production) I wonder why Gryphon does not provide any YouTube with sound of Apex.
If you email Rune he will answer. For sure he will be able to give you a valuable input.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Basically Gryphon owes exposure to the brand to Jay on YT… has the new distro done anything?
These days you tube performance is critical lol .
A good stereo system now has to do both well.

I do agree Jays comparisons are interesting to watch , but High end audio is a personal lifestyle choice .
Nothing beats a 2 / 4 weeks home demo .

Cant believe he switched to Focal JM labs again though .
With the screamy inverted dome berylium tweeter /unnatural sound

Last edited:
Reactions: aangen and Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing