Gryphon Apex Stereo or Mephisto Solos

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you! My speakers are 92 dB efficient so they don't really need a lot of power. But I preferred to run my Antileon at full Bias. I pretty much always had it set that way. It was a furnace. My rabbit liked to sit under it, she loved the warmth. The Apex I have been running in medium bias and it barely warms up. I have run it in high Bias and it doesn't seem to get anywhere near as warm as the Antileon EVO did. The Apex is nearly 50% Heat Sink. I would be surprised to see what it takes to get it hot. I'll make it a personal goal to find out.
That should be a very good thing. Heat and Class A and longevity are always the key issues...so if they are dissipating heat more efficiently and better, enabling the unit to remain cooler, that is a good thing long term for sure.

Reactions: aangen

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
When my MBL Extremes arrive I'll have two Apex Amps. But I am scratching my head wondering if I even need to go there. It's an option either way.

Don't audition MBL Extremes.

Reactions: Pokey77 and Lagonda

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
When my MBL Extremes arrive I'll have two Apex Amps. But I am scratching my head wondering if I even need to go there. It's an option either way.

W-o-w…. Tell us more! What else did you audition and why did you decide on the mighty Extremes?

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
W-o-w…. Tell us more! What else did you audition and why did you decide on the mighty Extremes?
I was invited to a room where MBL Extremes had arrived in many, many crates. It was assembly day. I got to help erect them. As soon as they were built I should have left. But no, I stayed two more days. Do not behave in this manner.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I was invited to a room where MBL Extremes had arrived in many, many crates. It was assembly day. I got to help erect them. As soon as they were built I should have left. But no, I stayed two more days. Do not behave in this manner.
What a great story! Some experiences are just surprises. I happened to walk in when a Zanden DAC happened to arrive many years ago…a one off piece. The rest is history.

someone had brand new Wilsons in storage for 17 years after moving country…I happened to be in store the week he called to inquire with the dealer about selling them. I was the first and only call. I agreed to trade in my SF Strad speakers for them in 5 minutes.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Thank you! My speakers are 92 dB efficient so they don't really need a lot of power. But I preferred to run my Antileon at full Bias. I pretty much always had it set that way. It was a furnace. My rabbit liked to sit under it, she loved the warmth. The Apex I have been running in medium bias and it barely warms up. I have run it in high Bias and it doesn't seem to get anywhere near as warm as the Antileon EVO did. The Apex is nearly 50% Heat Sink. I would be surprised to see what it takes to get it hot. I'll make it a personal goal to find out.
Thanks a lot for the input. I used the green bias cable for quite a long while. This gave me a decibel correlation and understanding of Class A usage. Rarely did it come out of medium bias. Typically too much wine has a direct relationship with that. I have since removed the green bias cable. I manually set it now. My Joseph Audio Pearl 20/20s are 86db and in Medium not hot. Enjoy the new gear...

Reactions: aangen and 2ndLiner

caesar

May 30, 2010

Hi Aangen,
Congrats!!! Do you eventually plan to switch to MBL 9011s, or stay with Gryphon?

And, since you are on a spending spree :) , do you plan to bi-amp? 4 amps will always be better than 2, as MBLs are so power hungry. And you will get even more out of your speakers - separation, dynamics, ease, and of course - most importantly - even more intense feelings of emotion.

Also, how big is your room for the Extremes?

Reactions: Pokey77 and aangen

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hello aangen, many thanks for taking the time to provide very helpful feedback. Great to know Apex runs cooler than AE. Enjoy your wonderful new amps.

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
I happened to walk in when a Zanden DAC happened to arrive many years ago…a one off piece. The rest is history.
My Dealer is all about Zanden as well. It's extraordinary gear!

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Do you eventually plan to switch to MBL 9011s, or stay with Gryphon?
I am a Gryphon Fanboy, that won't change. I may try to audition Gryphon speakers. I have heard some of their newer models. MMMMM. And Estelon has my full attention as well. If I had to guess, I would guess someone is going to move up in line when my Extremes become available. The Extremes would also require me to find a new home as my room isn't ideal.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My Dealer is all about Zanden as well. It's extraordinary gear!
Absolutely agree. I am most familiar with their digital by far, then the amplification and no experience with their legendary phono stage. But the consistency, quality and incredibly unique ability to deliver music vs great sound is something very special.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013

Congrats on 101X. My dealer told me that the waiting time for new 101X is now 2 years as they have supply chain problems. What is your waiting time?

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Congrats on 101X. My dealer told me that the waiting time for new 101X is now 2 years as they have supply chain problems. What is your waiting time?
30 months beginning in March 2022. And and an $81K price increase since I ordered. They make one pair a month, just one. They have such a distinct sound though. Irresistible. I have never heard them in the wild, not at shows or in a private dwelling. My audio dealer is one of three in the US to have a pair on display. They are setup quite well and I can spend hours on end listening to them if I wish. But then I go to a friends house and listen to their system and happily things sound nice there as well. I think it would cost me over $600k to put them in my home and serve them properly with gear and cables. I don't know I don't know I don't know. But I have twenty more months to ponder it.

My Zanden experience has been all their most excellent Phono Preamps. I use the Gryphon Legato Legacy in my system. But a Zanden would be welcome. They offer so many interesting and useful options. Various RIAA settings not the least of the features. Nice stuff!

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Does Gryphon recommend stacking the components of the Commander? I have read in various posts that the components of the Pandora should be put on different shelves. I think you had the Pandora. Did you run the Pandora stacked?

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Does Gryphon recommend stacking the components of the Commander? I have read in various posts that the components of the Pandora should be put on different shelves. I think you had the Pandora. Did you run the Pandora stacked?
I have Artesania Racks, separate shelves for each component. No way would I stack.
I wish I could put the Power Supply and Commander side by side. :)

John T

Feb 15, 2022
NO!!! DO NOT STACK. Both Pandora Or Commander. As @aangen also said. This comes from Gryphon Rune Skov (good guy). I always kept them separate. My PS on the Pandora is Approx. 1.5 meter away from the pre. I poured a custom slab same concept as making countertops. 80" X 28" X 2" thick. 400lbs it sits on Custom brackets, benefits of living in a log home!! No studs! 6" think log walls. This way Pandora and hopefully TODAY the Horizon (DHL are idiots) all sit side by side with ample space. The Mephisto/Extreme have separate 4" thick concrete isolation platforms with 1/2" cork underneath that sit on the floor. I would do the same with the Commander...John

Last edited:
Reactions: Down Under

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Well, I went back and looked at the picture and it seems to me that @PT6 has stacked the components of the Commander.

I could perhaps get four inches between the components of the Pandora, maybe 8”, on different shelves, but I can’t separate them by feet. Will it matter?

John T, you have 1.5m of cable to separate the components by that much?

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Well, I went back and looked at the picture and it seems to me that @PT6 has stacked the components of the Commander.

I could perhaps get four inches between the components of the Pandora, maybe 8”, on different shelves, but I can’t separate them by feet. Will it matter?

John T, you have 1.5m of cable to separate the components by that much?
2 meter DC cables Larry as well as 2 meter Clear Beyond XLR. For photographs (even Gryphon does it with Pandora) they stack even though they adamantly do not recommend doing it. With the weight of the Commander I wouldn't even do it for a photograph. I separate and isolate. The Extremely heavy shelf and platforms along with isolation. Dead quiet...John PS I think 4-8" is fine Larry, as long as they are not physically on top of each other. After working my ass off on that shelf (form and pour) aesthetically it looks better with a little more space between the gear. Sonically no difference 4" or 24"...

Last edited:
Reactions: LarryK

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
My Zanden experience has been all their most excellent Phono Preamps. I use the Gryphon Legato Legacy in my system. But a Zanden would be welcome. They offer so many interesting and useful options. Various RIAA settings not the least of the features. Nice stuff!
I use a Zanden 1200 Mk3 phono in my Gryphon Mephisto monobloc rig. I think the key decision you have to make in deciding whether to go with a Zanden or Gryphon phono is whether you like the benefits a hybrid system may offer vs a complete SS system. It always comes down to choosing "vanilla, chocolate or strawberry". What's your preferred flavor?

Last edited:

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020
These days you tube performance is critical lol .
A good stereo system now has to do both well.

I do agree Jays comparisons are interesting to watch , but High end audio is a personal lifestyle choice .
Nothing beats a 2 / 4 weeks home demo .

Cant believe he switched to Focal JM labs again though .
With the screamy inverted dome berylium tweeter /unnatural sound
Just to offer another perspective, I have the Focal Maestro Utopia Evo model as Jay had for awhile. These followed the Focal Scala Utopia Evo, which followed the Sopra 2. I think they sound phenomenal, and I run them biamped.

Many find the Focal beryllium tweeter to be electrostatic like, clear, and highly pleasing. I share this view, and am extremely satisfied with the sound. Particularly, the inverted dome geometry has significant benefits, such as wide dispersion, which results in excellent imaging.

Note from the recent Absolute Sound review of the Focal Stella Utopia: "There was an uncanny amount of transparency, reminiscent of my time with some electrostatic loudspeakers. Unlike most ESLs, the Stella has frequency extremes to balance the sound and bring things into a more holistically complete perspective. Like an ESL, there is that feeling you are hearing more of what is on the recording in the critical midrange. With the Stella, one tends to hear things going on in the background during the performance more clearly."

My personal experience, over five years, is very much the same across the line as this reviewer. I think he nailed it.

Perhas 20 years ago the tweeter may have been perceived as bright, I don't know since I have only heard and lived with the three speakers above, but the view that it is screechy I believe is outmoded, a long past view that no longer applies.

Offered with all respect to your opinion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing