Gryphon at the Capitol Audio Fest 2019 (Ethos Launch)

CAF.jpg

20/20 Evolution Systems from Potomac MD are honored to announce that we are hosting the N.American launch of the production version of the new Gryphon Ethos CD player.
Other Gryphon products include the Pandora preamp, Mephisto stereo amp and the Pantheon speakers; all wired with Truitt Physics cables, should be a knock-out system. The Twinbrook room is a large room and we are expecting great sound quality with a system that can really breathe & do justice to some remarkable music.

Ethos.jpg

Looking forward to a fun few days with Philip O'Hanlon from On A Higher Note and the wonderful Gryphon electronics, featuring the new Ethos CD player at the Capitol Audio Fest in DC later this month - Twinbrook room. From the little listening that I have done so far, this CD player is really special. The sound quality is breathtaking; who knew that CDs were capable of such fidelity ? Selectable upsampling to 32 bit PCM, DSD or none at all. Tonally, the CD playback is rich & musical and delivers a wonderfully satisfying musical experience.

We will be using the Antipodes CX & EX Solution (music server) connected to one of the digital inputs on the Ethos.
Philip will also bring his 1/4", 2 track tapes that were encoded with the SonoruS Holographic Imaging (surround sound with just a pair of speakers). It should be a lot of fun !
Looking forward to seeing you there.

Jay Truitt,
20/20 Evolution Systems of Potomac MD.
phone 800 746 1201

Attachments

• Ethos 2.jpg
    Ethos 2.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 10
Up & running at the Capitol Audio Fest; dialed the Pantheon speakers after breakfast. While its an almost square room, the sound quality is decent. Hotel’s AC is extremely noisy; we measured 65dB without any music, just fan noise - Ugh !

The Ethos is a joy to use and we are delighted with the sound quality; liquid & rich - a music lover’s delight.

Attachments

• ACE19F8C-5784-4F97-AB8F-08E94A91FD6A.jpeg
    ACE19F8C-5784-4F97-AB8F-08E94A91FD6A.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 31
  • 2EB3B8BF-E998-4338-9530-91425345284B.jpeg
    2EB3B8BF-E998-4338-9530-91425345284B.jpeg
    715.3 KB · Views: 29
81852E9E-E4A9-4F31-B9EC-0940AC38F766.jpeg
CAF was v well attended yesterday (Saturday) and music lovers introduced me to some terrific music that I never heard before - always welcome.
A rough Qobuz playlist here

A1DE05CC-9573-44CA-A71B-FF61F2FFB8E6.jpeg
Isabeau Corriveau dropped in to promote her new album A Leap Of Faith; drawing on English & Irish folk music, Isabeau and her eight piece group, weave new threads into the tapestry of popluar folk songs such as Scarborough Fair & Blackbird (not a Beatles cover). Besides having a wonderful voice, Isabeau is also an Accomplished harpist.
Her album is available on CD snd 180 gram LP.

The old guys surrounding Isabeau are Jay Truitt (20/20 Evo) and Moi.

Reactions: NorthStar

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
Thank you for this very interesting show report. I am interested in the Gryphon ETHOS since I am on search for a CD player.

However, I am not only interested in the Ethos for his CD player capability but also as an External DAC for my Aurender music server to replace my existing denafrim terminator DAC.

--> How good the ETHOS's internal DAC is for external USB Sources ?

Bertrand, thank you for your post and your email this morning. We are delighted with this unit. Our dealers actually tout the unit as a superb DAC (updated from Kalliope's) that produces full, rich and musical sound that stands tall against its competitors at same or even higher price point, except, it comes with a superb CD transport as a bonus.

As far as listening experience, we listened to the CD layer of the SACD’s and listened through digital in to the DAC but did not perform an A/B test for the same track on both. Where are you located?

Aside from the A/B test, have you heard the unit yourself? We are in the middle of a road show. We might try that A/B test you asked if we have the time at the dealers' sites and will post again on it. But we are extremely pleased with its sound.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thank you for this very interesting show report. I am interested in the Gryphon ETHOS since I am on search for a CD player.

However, I am not only interested in the Ethos for his CD player capability but also as an External DAC for my Aurender music server to replace my existing denafrim terminator DAC.

--> How good the ETHOS's internal DAC is for external USB Sources ?
Bertrand, thank you for your post and your email this morning. We are delighted with this unit. Our dealers actually tout the unit as a superb DAC (updated from Kalliope's) that produces full, rich and musical sound that stands tall against its competitors at same or even higher price point, except, it comes with a superb CD transport as a bonus.

As far as listening experience, we listened to the CD layer of the SACD’s and listened through digital in to the DAC but did not perform an A/B test for the same track on both. Where are you located?

Aside from the A/B test, have you heard the unit yourself? We are in the middle of a road show. We might try that A/B test you asked if we have the time at the dealers' sites and will post again on it. But we are extremely pleased with its sound.

I heard it at Philip's house just before he shipped it to CAF

The DAC is killer

https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/gryphon-ethos.29255/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing