Gryphon Diablo DAC module - worth switching to outboard DAC?

nyev

Feb 24, 2023
I’m in the process of testing some high end servers to go along with my Diablo 300 and DAC module. My rig for the last while has included the Innuos Zenith Mk3 and the PhoenixUSB Reclocker, with Audioquest Diamond USB cables. In my quest I’ve bought, then sold, an Aurender N20 which sounded more organic, dense, and liquid but without the air, dimensionality, and detail of my Innuos gear. I have a Grimm MU1 on the way to try with a Shunyata Omega AES cable.

I bought a used Merason DAC 1 (is en route) to throw in the mix to compare against my Gryphon Diablo 300 DAC module but just realized this is not the best pairing for the MU1 because the DAC1’s AES input is limited to 96k. Oops. I’m also interested in the Holo May KTE and/or possibly the Tambaqui.

My question is, has anyone compared DAC’s of the caliber of those mentioned above to the Diablo 300’s DAC module? Can I expect better performance going with one of these outboard DAC’s?

Also please let me know if this is the right place for this thread, or if it’s better positioned in one of the Diablo threads. Long time Audiogoner here and first time posting on this forum….

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Hi & welcome to WBF.

I like the Diablo and have enjoyed it a few times (in other peoples' systems). The one time I did actually compare my old Ayazi DAC to a friend's Diablo, the sound was much superior with the Ayazi. Clearer, punchier, more dynamic sound and more extended FR.

I don't know if the DACs you mention are of the same caliber as the Ayazi, however. It cost around 3k when I got it (pre COVID), plus a tad extra to update it to current specs.

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
I did try a few different DACs against the Diablo 300 DAC. Different flavors with a DAVE and Qyre QX5/20. Both were airier but lost some of the depth I enjoy with the Diablo DAC module. I did find it very responsive to the server. Currently using a Wolf Alpha 3SX with the Wolf reclocker module upgrade. I greatly enjoy this setup. I have been curious about the Holo May KTE as something to wet my R2R curiosity. Many years ago had a Lector CDP based on a R2R architecture. Miss that machine…

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
I have no experience with the Diablo DAC module, but I can say I'm using a Grimm MU1 and the Shunyata Omega AES cable, and it has paired exceptionally well with both a Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC and a new Lampizator Atlantic 3 DAC that was just delivered to me.

Be sure to update the firmware to Grimm's latest when it arrives. I believe they just released 1.5.1 in the last couple weeks, and that update resolved some odd behavior between the prior firmware and Roon's latest update.

nyev

Feb 24, 2023
Thanks for the tips on the MU1 firmware…. I’ve heard mine had to be assembled so presumably it has the latest firmware, but I will double check.

I too found that the Diablo DAC module responds to server changes. Like when I added the PhoenixUSB to my Zenith Mk 3, that was a big lift.

Oddly, I found that with the Aurender N20, the USB output sounded totally identical to the AES output when connected to my Diablo, when I expected AES to sound better. I had my family subject me to a blind test (much to their amusement) and I failed. I was using an Audioquest Diamond USB and the same for AES (I had one on loan). This result is odd because Aurender highlights their precision clock which is only on the AES circuit. Not sure if my Diablo’s AES input is limiting things - hoping not for the sake of the MU1 which is AES only! Prior to this I’ve only used it’s USB inputs with my Innuos gear.

Although I don’t have a basis of comparison, I have heard that the Diablo DAC module does have a big, weighty live sound, that may not have the air of other DACs like the Dave. The Merason DAC 1 should be in similar territory with respect to character, having a reputation for larger bass, and a smooth, slightly warm but detailed midrange. At least from what I’ve read. Will find out next week when it arrives and I can try it with my Innuos gear. The MU1 is still 3-4 weeks out.

Last edited:

Low325

May 2, 2021
Congrats on the MU1, it really transformed my digital front end!

fwiw - I didnt have the 300 but the little 120 w/dac module. Depending on your tastes, it is worth it to swap to outboard dac. And I think you already determined this by implementing an MU1. Get something that will pair with it nicely (connect via AES or SPDIF, and you will be rewarded from your system with the MU1 leading the way.

nyev

Feb 24, 2023
Congrats on the MU1, it really transformed my digital front end!

fwiw - I didnt have the 300 but the little 120 w/dac module. Depending on your tastes, it is worth it to swap to outboard dac. And I think you already determined this by implementing an MU1. Get something that will pair with it nicely (connect via AES or SPDIF, and you will be rewarded from your system with the MU1 leading the way.
Thank you! Can I ask what outboard DAC’s you tried, and in a very general sense, what differences you found? Knowing of course this is all system dependent. There is nothing I’m aware of that is particularly bothering me about the Gryphon DAC module. I like it’s weighty, big sound. But I would like to get more precision, and more solidity and focus with respect to imaging and soundstage. Guessing I might get that with the MU1. Would be nice if vocals were a bit more fleshed out and bigger at center stage. I like my Innuos gear; with the reclocker the separation and spatial placement is incredible, but vocals and some of the midrange can just sound a bit small (within the very large overall image however).

Last edited:

Low325

May 2, 2021
Thank you! Can I ask what outboard DAC’s you tried, and in a very general sense, what differences you found? Knowing of course this is all system dependent. There is nothing I’m aware of that is particularly bothering me about the Gryphon DAC module. I like it’s weighty, big sound. But I would like to get more precision, and more solidity and focus with respect to imaging and soundstage. Guessing I might get that with the MU1. Would be nice if vocals were a bit more fleshed out and bigger at center stage. I like my Innuos gear; with the reclocker the separation and spatial placement is incredible, but vocals and some of the midrange can just sound a bit small (within the very large overall image however).
To note I used a Lumin X1 while I had the 120 w/dac module. I could easily switch back and forth between the X1 dac section and 120 dac module. I wont get too wordy here, but easily was able to tell the X1 gave more resolution, precision and air. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the dac module…I was just in the journey looking for sonic bliss. Fast forward onto a total system swap, I landed on the MU1 and Tambaqui, and the rest, as far as the digital front goes, is history….

nyev

Feb 24, 2023
To note I used a Lumin X1 while I had the 120 w/dac module. I could easily switch back and forth between the X1 dac section and 120 dac module. I wont get too wordy here, but easily was able to tell the X1 gave more resolution, precision and air. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the dac module…I was just in the journey looking for sonic bliss. Fast forward onto a total system swap, I landed on the MU1 and Tambaqui, and the rest, as far as the digital front goes, is history….
Awesome, thanks! I hear the Tambaqui is a great match for the MU1. In fact, with the MU2 slated to include a DAC, there is an unsubstantiated rumour that I heard, that Grimm is partnering with Mola Mola to incorporate the MU2’s DAC. My guess is that is mere wishful thinking though!

Low325

May 2, 2021
Awesome, thanks! I hear the Tambaqui is a great match for the MU1. In fact, with the MU2 slated to include a DAC, there is an unsubstantiated rumour that I heard, that Grimm is partnering with Mola Mola to incorporate the MU2’s DAC. My guess is that is mere wishful thinking though!
Youre in for a treat when the MU1 arrives and you can allow your 300 to bring the boogie :)
fwiw - you might start a new trend when your Grimm and the Holo KTE. Hans B - YT reviewer, seemed to have very good praise with this pairing, enough to bring in the KTE in for a second time!

Last edited:

nyev

Feb 24, 2023
Youre in for a treat when the MU1 arrives and you can allow your 300 to bring the boogie :)
fwiw - you might start a new trend when your Grimm and the Holo KTE. Hans B - YT reviewer, seemed to have very good praise with this pairing, enough to bring in the KTE in for a second time!
Good to know, thanks! Starting off testing with the Merason DAC1 which I purchased used to try (Mk 1 version). It’s known for being smoother with a softer midrange while still being revealing, with excellent bass. Might be too smooth, we will see. It arrives Monday and I can start testing it with my Innuos gear and a 20 year old pair of basic Audioquest RCA interconnects I have lying around. Until my new fancy cables and the MU1 arrive.

Will see how that goes and see if I get to the Musetec 005 and Holo May KTE. Hopefully I can try them all.

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
Check out my new review of the Metronome Le Dac 2 which I've just paired with Gryphon Essence - liquid, dense AND big airy. I went through several DACs in my quest and found Dac 2 the most accomplished at the price point.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing