Gryphon Diablo Integrated Amplifier Owners

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
I'm investigating integrated amplifiers to power my new Harbeth Monitor 30.2 Anniversary Editions.

Do we have any Diablo owners in the group? I'd appreciate your comments.

Edit: Specifically the Diablo 120.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm investigating integrated amplifiers to power my new Harbeth Monitor 30.2 Anniversary Editions.

Me Rickz

you live close to me. One of my closest friends is Philip O’Hanlon who also lives very close. Philip is the Gryphon USA NSM I just happen to be having dinner with him tomorrow night. I’ll mention your post to him. I have heard tfe Diablo’s at his house and for the price i thought it was superb.
Philip is also a member here. You can private message him

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
Me Rickz

you live close to me. One of my closest friends is Philip O’Hanlon who also lives very close. Philip is the Gryphon USA NSM I just happen to be having dinner with him tomorrow night. I’ll mention your post to him. I have heard tfe Diablo’s at his house and for the price i thought it was superb.
Philip is also a member here. You can private message him

I guess we can discuss it in a week or so. :cool:

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Rick, I have a Diablo 300 that drives Magico S3 MkIIs. Dynamic, strong bass, rich tone. IMO a superb integrated for what I enjoy (mostly classical, some jazz). From what I read, the 120 shows similar characteristics in a scaled down version. Philip will be an excellent reference.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Have owned (and loved) the Harbeth 30’s and now 40.2s I’d have thought a bit of the el Diablo would be a lovely choice for the Harby 30.2s.

The Harbys have a big musical heart and are very expressive (when driven appropriately). I found they are fairly forgiving in nature generally but still very much do come alive with amplification that exhibits a more expressive flow and verve.

They can do relaxed beauty easy but their expressive range is then just more extended when they can also be filled with the kind of musical enthusiasm that an amp that has some power and life in it (as well as beauty) as a partner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Rickz

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
Have owned (and loved) the Harbeth 30’s and now 40.2s I’d have thought a bit of the el Diablo would be a lovely choice for the Harby 30.2s.

The Harbys have a big musical heart and are very expressive (when driven appropriately). I found they are fairly forgiving in nature generally but still very much do come alive with amplification that exhibits a more expressive flow and verve.

They can do relaxed beauty easy but their expressive range is then just more extended when they can also be filled with the kind of musical enthusiasm that an amp that has some power and life in it (as well as beauty) as a partner.

Alan Shaw recommends solid state in the range of 100wpc. I think the Harbeths will be with me a long time so I'd like to treat them properly. Use will be primarily in the near field.

Looking at the Diablo, and others.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I am using the original Diablo 250 and it is a superb amp. The 120 and 300 are supposed to be even better, but I am extremely happy with mine. Gryphon equipment are sensitive to cables, I can firmly recommend the Gryphon cables as well. Good luck.

Reactions: Mr Rickz

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
I run the 300 with Mojo S. I've no Harbeth experience, though I did own Spendors a few years back. My contribution is to mention Gryphon's VIP speaker cable which I just auditioned on the 300. (I also tried Argento Flow and Jorma Unity). The VIP is staying and is staggeringly good partnered with the Diablo 300. It allows it to perform at its absolute best - the like of which I hadn't heard previously and did not realise I was missing. I imagine it would perform as well with the 120. Worth a trial if you go with Gryphon and/or probably still worth a trial even if you don't and have the budget.. You can't go wrong with Gryphon.

Reactions: drrsutliff
I have tried the Diablo 120 on the Graham LS5/9 (equivalent to Harbeth Monitor 30) as well as the Graham floor standing equivalent, the LS5/9f. The results were v impressive. "Among the best-sounding systems at the show". Read what Art Dudley had to say in his Stereophile coverage of the Montreal Show last March - here.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I have tried the Diablo 120 on the Graham LS5/9 (equivalent to Harbeth Monitor 30) as well as the Graham floor standing equivalent, the LS5/9f. The results were v impressive. "Among the best-sounding systems at the show". Read what Art Dudley had to say in his Stereophile coverage of the Montreal Show last March - here.
I have the Verity Amadis S speakers. 93 dB, min 3,5 Ohm. But they are not a difficult load. Although I think my Diablo 250 is exellent the new integrateds are supposed to be even better.

I have a dedicated room, not to large. I listen at normal levels. Does it make and sense to buy the 300 or is the 120 as good when large amount of power isn`t necessary? I am thinking about a possible future upgrade, the 250 is very good.

JP

Reactions: hifinutt

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys, would like to know if some you Diablo 300 owners have the optional DAC module.
I'm likely to purchase a Diablo 300 pretty soon and wonder if i should get it with the DAC module or purchase a separate DAC from another brand.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I have a 300, which I like very much. I decided not to buy the optional DAC (which is reportedly very good). My reasoning was that DAC technology is moving much faster than amplifier technology, so separating the two would likely provide more flexibility with future upgrades. This plus my perception that Gryphon's strongest suit is their amplifier line.

Last edited:
Reactions: eagle3333

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
I have a 300, which I like very much. I decided not to buy the optional DAC (which is reportedly very good). My reasoning was that DAC technology is moving much faster than amplifier technology, so separating the two would likely provide more flexibility with future upgrades. This plus my perception that Gryphon's strongest suit is their amplifiers.
What GSOphile said..

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I have a 300, which I like very much. I decided not to buy the optional DAC (which is reportedly very good). My reasoning was that DAC technology is moving much faster than amplifier technology, so separating the two would likely provide more flexibility with future upgrades. This plus my perception that Gryphon's strongest suit is their amplifiers.

Thanks very good point;)

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I'm probably going to get Gryphon VIP interconnect and speaker cables also, great synergy with Gryphon amps

bubusia

Dec 27, 2015
lomianki/warsaw/poland
I'm currenty testing Gryphon 120 with Sonus Faber Electa Amator 1. It's running up against my Jadis da88s. The result:
I'm seriously thinking of doing a swap. Great amp.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I'm currenty testing Gryphon 120 with Sonus Faber Electa Amator 1. It's running up against my Jadis da88s. The result:
I am familiar with both amps, great sounding units but would lean towards the Gryphon. Excellent choice of speakers, the Diablo would drive them very well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I ran the Antileon original with SF Stradivaris many years ago and really enjoyed the combination and would imagine the Gryphon 120 and SF Electa Amator is sensational! Look forward to hearing what you decide.

Low325

May 2, 2021
Recent Gryphon Audio convert with a Diablo 120 and optional DAC module. My speakers are TAD ME-1 and now they are performing on a higher level than what I had previously. Highly recommended if you‘re looking for that kind of voluptuous bass, rich midrange (oh and that beautiful treble), and macro dynamics - some serious solid amplification and electronics, imo.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing