Gryphon Legato phono

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Has anyone have any experience with Gryphon Legato?
Recently my Pass Labs XA160 Power amplifiers and XP 22 pre amp, were replaced with the Gryphon Mephisto Stereo and Pandora.
I had decided to keep the Pass Labs XP 27 phono but I am thinking of replacing this too with the Legato

Thank you for your comments

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Has anyone have any experience with Gryphon Legato?
Recently my Pass Labs XA160 Power amplifiers and XP 22 pre amp, were replaced with the Gryphon Mephisto Stereo and Pandora.
I had decided to keep the Pass Labs XP 27 phono but I am thinking of replacing this too with the Legato

Thank you for your comments
Very interested in any listening experiences you have as I have The Mirage/Evo combination and have been considering both phono stages.
The XP27 has not arrived here in Australia to my knowledge,but have always liked Pass gear.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Well, Legato has been delivered and as expected it has killed XP 27 Pass Labs
It is powered from Pandora’s power supply

Reactions: XV-1 and bonzo75

lesacre

May 9, 2015
Chicago
www.kyomiaudio.com
The legato is simply astounding. especially when used in fully balanced systems. It is by far the quietest and the most dynamic phono stage we have even used. It completely eliminates the need for the tubes!

Be interesting to borrow an additional power supply & see if you can hear a sonic difference between the shared power supply versus two separate power supplies ?

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Be interesting to borrow an additional power supply & see if you can hear a sonic difference between the shared power supply versus two separate power supplies ?

Hi Philip,

I have just purchased Legato boards for Pandora and one more additional Legato Power supply.

The boards are installed in Pandora sharing the same power supply and the other Legato became a stand alone unit with its own power supply.

Both versions are dead silent and the performance beyond expectation.

Do you hear any sonic differences between the two Legatos ? I'm curious.
Thanks

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Thanks

Not At all. Niels from Gryphon had told me that these power supplies can support effortless a medium sized power amplifier. He had also advised that the performance between the stand alone and the setup with shared powered supply is identical.
I was expecting some better performance from the Legato boards due to the absence of interconnects but again they are identical.

Thanks

Vienna

VIP/Donor
It’s still early Philip , the new power supply and the boards need some more run in hours, but I will keep you posted.at the meantime I am thinking of upgrading to either the Trident MKII or the Pantheon and I would need your insights knowing that you have first hand experience.

Vienna,
Sorry for the tardy reply, but I only saw your query this morning. We conducted a couple of AB demos during AXPONA of the Pantheon versus the Trident II. Completely no contest. We listened to the Pantheon first, then the Trident II. One customer's wife commented after thirty seconds: "I guess you'll have to spend the extra $100k.."
As you can imagine, the LF foundation underneath the music is fuller & richer with the extra woofers & amplification. What we were not expecting was the HUGE increase in mid-range resolution. Not only that but the mid-range was richer & had a fuller timbre besides.
cheers

Philip

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Vienna,
Sorry for the tardy reply, but I only saw your query this morning. We conducted a couple of AB demos during AXPONA of the Pantheon versus the Trident II. Completely no contest. We listened to the Pantheon first, then the Trident II. One customer's wife commented after thirty seconds: "I guess you'll have to spend the extra $100k.."
As you can imagine, the LF foundation underneath the music is fuller & richer with the extra woofers & amplification. What we were not expecting was the HUGE increase in mid-range resolution. Not only that but the mid-range was richer & had a fuller timbre besides.
cheers

Philip
I don’t think I want to hear the Trident II.....

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Any other Legato user here? Any other comparisons to other top phono stages?
I have the Legato board with Pandora pre. No i have not a/b cause Very happy with the resolution.

kmyl

Jul 16, 2020
A question for all Gryphon Legato users. How much time does it require to burn-in? Is it sensitive/responsive to power cables or because of it’s sturdy power supply wouldn’t make much of difference?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing