Hana SL cartridge - suggestions for step up?

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Hi guys,

I've recently installed a new cartridge on my vinyl rig. After reading quite positive reviews, I pulled the trigger for a Hana SL. The cartridge is now placed in this system (https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/docvales-new-system.32226/#post-734292) and, specifically, it is my first Low Output MC. In fact, it replaced a Sumiko Pearl, which came pre-mounted on my turntable.

Upon the installation and alignment, I ran some tests and I collected the following (and somehow expected) findings:

- the Hana extracts more information from the grooves, in particular for the high frequencies. This might also be emphasized by me being used to the Pearl, which, retrospectively, sounded quite soft. At the moment the cartridge is loaded at 470 ohm, which performed better than wide open at 47 kohm. I have not tried lower loads, yet they would not be recommended by the manufacturer

- the Hana outputs at 0.5mV and I set the sensitivity of the Devialet's phono stage at 0.6mV. Compared to the Pearl (4mV), this resulted in a significant increase in the gain with the consequent higher surface noise (obviously, very dependent on the record) and some audible hiss with the arm in lifted position. The latter is not a dramatic issue, since the hiss is faint enough not to be noticeable during playback, yet I know it is there... with an MM cartridge, the Devialet's phono input is dead quiet, with zero hiss.

While I'm extremely happy with the overall performance, I am sure that the introduction of a SUT would allow me to return to the zero hiss I used to have, plus the benefits of the more refined and detailed performance of the Hana.

Any suggestions? I would like to have something commensurate with the rest of the system and, consequently, keep the budget contained and welcome used devices. The Hana has an internal impedance of 30 ohm and, with its output, my understanding would be having a SUT with a 1:10 ratio, so that the cartridge would "see" a 470 ohm load and generate the equivalent of 5mV.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: MPS

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
You have thought through the maths...and it looks like a 1:10 is the ticket which is good because thats pretty common. I wouldn't turn down a 1:8 or 1:12 though...

There is a lot out there. Just to put two ideas on the table there is the lundahl kits that K&K sells and the Sculpture A suts that are the 'house brand' for the super cool analog nerds at AnaMighty Sound in Paris.

Reactions: gestalt and docvale

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Guys, thanks again for your suggestions.

since I wanted to “play” a little, but keeping the expense limited, I started with second hand searches. I know, sometimes spending more makes you spend “less”, but I think I’ve been lucky.
I spotted on eBay Japan a SUT from Denon, a AU-300LC (1:10), and I’m very happy with the results.
Noise is undetectable in any condition at well above realistic listening volumes and I recovered the slam on the bass without sacrificing any of the improvements I achieved in the higher spectrum after the introduction of the Hana SL.

my conclusions: while the MM stage of the Devialet is very very good, it’s MC stage is absolutely not on par, yet a SUT makes a dramatic difference

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hi guys,

I've recently installed a new cartridge on my vinyl rig. After reading quite positive reviews, I pulled the trigger for a Hana SL. The cartridge is now placed in this system (https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/docvales-new-system.32226/#post-734292) and, specifically, it is my first Low Output MC. In fact, it replaced a Sumiko Pearl, which came pre-mounted on my turntable.

Upon the installation and alignment, I ran some tests and I collected the following (and somehow expected) findings:

- the Hana extracts more information from the grooves, in particular for the high frequencies. This might also be emphasized by me being used to the Pearl, which, retrospectively, sounded quite soft. At the moment the cartridge is loaded at 470 ohm, which performed better than wide open at 47 kohm. I have not tried lower loads, yet they would not be recommended by the manufacturer

- the Hana outputs at 0.5mV and I set the sensitivity of the Devialet's phono stage at 0.6mV. Compared to the Pearl (4mV), this resulted in a significant increase in the gain with the consequent higher surface noise (obviously, very dependent on the record) and some audible hiss with the arm in lifted position. The latter is not a dramatic issue, since the hiss is faint enough not to be noticeable during playback, yet I know it is there... with an MM cartridge, the Devialet's phono input is dead quiet, with zero hiss.

While I'm extremely happy with the overall performance, I am sure that the introduction of a SUT would allow me to return to the zero hiss I used to have, plus the benefits of the more refined and detailed performance of the Hana.

Any suggestions? I would like to have something commensurate with the rest of the system and, consequently, keep the budget contained and welcome used devices. The Hana has an internal impedance of 30 ohm and, with its output, my understanding would be having a SUT with a 1:10 ratio, so that the cartridge would "see" a 470 ohm load and generate the equivalent of 5mV.

Thanks in advance!
Congrats on the new cartridge.

Reactions: docvale

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing