Happy Birthday Frank !!

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Today, Saturday Dec 12 is Frank Sinatra’s Birthday !! One of my favorite singers of all time. I have almost ALL his recordings. He is one of those artist’s that I can put on any album and play it through and enjoy every song. Frank’s vocals, timing and diction were so perfect in many of his songs. He also had so many talented writers and musicians to back him up.. He was a perfectionist, Always doing LIVE recordings, never dubbing or voice overs.. He insisted on good Acoustics and had some of the studios he recorded in, use mattresses in Hallways nearby to help control acoustics, what he felt might upset the recording.. I never got to see Frank Live in concert.. I would have liked too.. but his best work was done in the studio when he wasn’t trying to act.. just focusing on the music..
Thanks for all the Great music Frank !!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Today, Saturday Dec 12 is Frank Sinatra’s Birthday !! One of my favorite singers of all time. I have almost ALL his recordings. He is one of those artist’s that I can put on any album and play it through and enjoy every song. Frank’s vocals, timing and diction were so perfect in many of his songs. He also had so many talented writers and musicians to back him up.. He was a perfectionist, Always doing LIVE recordings, never dubbing or voice overs.. He insisted on good Acoustics and had some of the studios he recorded in, use mattresses in Hallways nearby to help control acoustics, what he felt might upset the recording.. I never got to see Frank Live in concert.. I would have liked too.. but his best work was done in the studio when he wasn’t trying to act.. just focusing on the music..
Thanks for all the Great music Frank !!
IMO he was the world's best male vocalist

Reactions: Mikem53

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Sinatra did his best work, IMO during the early Capitol years after leaving Columbia because of Mitch Miller who was directing the songs Frank was to sing.. which Frank deemed as “silly songs”.
The first few albums he did with Capitol were amazingly good.. “Dances on the ceiling” is one of those not making the charts, but is just wonderfully done. another is “ I don’t stand a ghost of a chance” a later Capitol release, just amazing how Frank starts off the song with such calm authority and tells his story.
I didn’t know there was such a thing as a “complicated“ song. Frank made them sound easy.. yet even trying to sing along in the shower, i cant imitate the changes in direction, never mind the holding peaks !
Frank started Artanis label which is Sinatra spelled backwards. Didn’t do much of his own on it, but gave it up in a dispute. he went on to Reprise records where he redid many of his hits, but I don’t care for many of these.. They are rushed through compared to the originals done with Capitol. yet still distinctive as his voice was more baritone as well..
One of the songs he disliked the most was ” Strangers in the night”. Yet was a big hit for him as he was becoming less popular during the advent of the Beatles..
Sinatra did his best work with Nelson Riddle who was a master at caressing the vocals with perfect timing and intensity!
So thankful for the the great music and His attention to detail..
Rambling on here... just musing and trying to remember.. He also used some of the finest recording studios and talent on some of his albums.. Those who have ”Sinatra’s Swingin Session” on vinyl have something very special to listen too..

Reactions: Steve Williams

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Much better than “ A half decent actor”..... of course in my opinion....He was a man that really “ Did it His Way”..... a consummate pro........

Cheers....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing