Happy Fourth of July

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
July 4th is the day that all Americans celebrate patriotism in the most traditional ways, whether it be family barbeques, attending parades, or watching fireworks. Terry Teachout, one of my favorite music critics wrote an article in today's WSJ about a performance by Vladimir Horowitz that is particularly relevant for today which I had not heard previously. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Steved and I just returned from vacation in Russia (and Italy), on which I am sure Steve will provide details shortly. But this performance left me in tears. Horowitz was born in Russia (Kiev) in 1903 and immigrated to the west in 1925, shortly after the great Bolshevik revolution in 1917 which dismantled the Tsarist autocracy and led to the rise of the Soviet Union. He died in NYC in 1989. Suffice it to say, here was a man who understood freedom in a way most of us will never know. As we celebrate today's holiday, Teachout reminds us that "one of the greatest piano performances of all time was Horowitz's feat of patriotic prestidigitation when he transcribed “The Stars and Stripes Forever,” the most famous and beloved of John Philip Sousa’s 137 marches for military band. Arturo Toscanini, Horowitz’s father-in-law, started performing “The Stars and Stripes Forever” with the NBC Symphony in 1943 as a wartime tribute to the U.S. armed forces. Horowitz, a refugee from Soviet Russia who became a naturalized U.S. citizen the following year, heard a Toscanini performance and decided to arrange the march as a gesture of gratitude to his new-found homeland. The results were an instant hit when he unveiled the piece in Minneapolis in 1945."

Horowitz never published his “Stars and Stripes Forever” transcription, but various admirers have taken it down by ear. Many have tried to play this piece and some have succeeded. But no one has ever played it like Horowitz, and the reason probably has as much to do with its sheer technical skills as it does his personal background. You just know his deep understanding of democracy is the basis for his ability to play this piece with monstrous musicality, tenderness and power as only he could. Some listeners swear that he must have had three hands (particularly for the piccolo part). You can hear it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxO9k53IsMU

Happy July 4th to everyone.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Isn't America the only country that celebrates independence for the conquerors staying back?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Happy Fourth of July to all our US members - fireworks should have exceeded the dynamics of your systems!

Also wanted to point that John Philip Sousa was of portuguese ancestry - his father, João Antonio Sousa, was portuguese and his mother, Marie Elizabeth Trinkaus, was born in Bavaria. He is also known for the Sousaphone, a kind of tuba that is used when marching. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sousaphone

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 91

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Marty,

thank you for the Horowitz rendition of 'Stars and Stripes Forever'......it got my patriotic and musical flow going for today. it will be nigh impossible to surpass this piece.

it's really a stunning performance. and the power and feeling comes thundering through regardless of the sound quality.

Happy 4th to all!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Happy Fourth of July to all WBF....thanks for posting Horowitz's rendition Marty...really exceptional.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Happy 4th everyone!
david

July 4th is the day that all Americans celebrate patriotism in the most traditional ways, whether it be family barbeques, attending parades, or watching fireworks. Terry Teachout, one of my favorite music critics wrote an article in today's WSJ about a performance by Vladimir Horowitz that is particularly relevant for today which I had not heard previously. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Steved and I just returned from vacation in Russia (and Italy), on which I am sure Steve will provide details shortly. But this performance left me in tears. Horowitz was born in Russia (Kiev) in 1903 and immigrated to the west in 1925, shortly after the great Bolshevik revolution in 1917 which dismantled the Tsarist autocracy and led to the rise of the Soviet Union. He died in NYC in 1989. Suffice it to say, here was a man who understood freedom in a way most of us will never know. As we celebrate today's holiday, Teachout reminds us that "one of the greatest piano performances of all time was Horowitz's feat of patriotic prestidigitation when he transcribed “The Stars and Stripes Forever,” the most famous and beloved of John Philip Sousa’s 137 marches for military band. Arturo Toscanini, Horowitz’s father-in-law, started performing “The Stars and Stripes Forever” with the NBC Symphony in 1943 as a wartime tribute to the U.S. armed forces. Horowitz, a refugee from Soviet Russia who became a naturalized U.S. citizen the following year, heard a Toscanini performance and decided to arrange the march as a gesture of gratitude to his new-found homeland. The results were an instant hit when he unveiled the piece in Minneapolis in 1945."

Horowitz never published his “Stars and Stripes Forever” transcription, but various admirers have taken it down by ear. Many have tried to play this piece and some have succeeded. But no one has ever played it like Horowitz, and the reason probably has as much to do with its sheer technical skills as it does his personal background. You just know his deep understanding of democracy is the basis for his ability to play this piece with monstrous musicality, tenderness and power as only he could. Some listeners swear that he must have had three hand (particularly for the piccolo part). You can hear it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxO9k53IsMU

Happy July 4th to everyone.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Isn't America the only country that celebrates independence for the conquerors staying back?

Like a the end of a tennis match, the losers are best to congratulate the winners and look to the next tournament.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
On this day an amusing and interesting story comes to mind. Igor Stravinsky, the new US immigrant in 1941, decided to show a patriotic feeling by preparing his own version of the national anthem and to make it easier to sing. He added a dominant seventh, among other twists, which got him into trouble with the Boston police in 1944. The whole background is here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bo...30/stravinsky/rfnaZtqjCQXZAobdv7kVkI/amp.html

The audio can be heard here in a performance by Michael Tilson Thomas and the London Symphony:

https://g.co/kgs/kae2Pu

I think it's pretty cool.

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
In addition to the reflections above, I would add that today is the only day of the year when the genteel, civilized audiophile can fire up Frederick Fennell's many patriotic wind band classics on Mercury Living Presence.

Happy Fourth!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Happy Brexit version 1.0

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
For what you gave up ...John puts it well :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing