Harbeth Monitor 40.2 40th Anniversary Edition Loudspeaker Review

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
I owned the 40.2 but sold them off and now regretting it.

Buy the 40.3's or 40.1's or 40.2's (same same really) - life is short.

The good news is I upgraded to the Magnapan 30.7s but still miss the harbeths.

Different, is all. But you know that....

The good news is you can cure it by buying a set of 40's. Nothing kicks like a decent bass driver.

I'll share this from a review I once read of my (now departed) SR15's:https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/revequip/silverline_sr15.htm

@Ron Resnick @Al M. @PeterA - you all might be interested in these observations from Todd Warnke way back in 2000:

"Sure, I know each speaker topology has its strengths. Electrostat fanatics offer the clear claim that their speakers give an unmatched see-through vision. And they’re right. The BigBoxBoys climb on their empty shipping crates and decree that you ain’t heard the real thing until you’ve heard your room load up with 20-cycle bass. And they’re right. And the horn-obsessed will grab a nearby megaphone and shout that no other speaker design comes even close to the dynamics of the real thing. And they’re right. But with all the gear I’ve heard in my room, at friends’ places, and at the audio circuses, no ‘stat, big box or horn has ever been able to re-create the pure intimacy of a well-designed minimonitor."

Amen. My experience as well.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Buy the 40.3's or 40.1's or 40.2's (same same really) - life is short.

Different, is all. But you know that....

The good news is you can cure it by buying a set of 40's. Nothing kicks like a decent bass driver.

I'll share this from a review I once read of my (now departed) SR15's:https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/revequip/silverline_sr15.htm

@Ron Resnick @Al M. @PeterA - you all might be interested in these observations from Todd Warnke way back in 2000:

"Sure, I know each speaker topology has its strengths. Electrostat fanatics offer the clear claim that their speakers give an unmatched see-through vision. And they’re right. The BigBoxBoys climb on their empty shipping crates and decree that you ain’t heard the real thing until you’ve heard your room load up with 20-cycle bass. And they’re right. And the horn-obsessed will grab a nearby megaphone and shout that no other speaker design comes even close to the dynamics of the real thing. And they’re right. But with all the gear I’ve heard in my room, at friends’ places, and at the audio circuses, no ‘stat, big box or horn has ever been able to re-create the pure intimacy of a well-designed minimonitor."

Amen. My experience as well.
Yes every speaker type has its advantages.I also own a pair of klipschorns at the back of the room and two pairs of stacked la scala.I play pop and rock and demanding music thru the horns. The Maggie’s are for audiophile music, classical,jazz and acoustic vocal music.no single pair of speakers can do it all for me.

Reactions: Andrew S.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
What speakers do you have Andrew?

As of yesterday I have nothing - my beloved SR15's went to a new home, and I sold off my (older) Naim Atom a few weeks ago (I always think of Naim as the Rega TT of amps - initailly fun - but ultimately ... meh).

I have no doubt every audiophile here will laugh - but atm I listen (without want) to a Sonos Beam in my cavernous open plan lounge dining kitchen (like 13mL x 8mW x 6m - 3mH sloping roof opening to glass) - DSP & EQ ...but more importantly WAF goes a long way - room goes a long way more.

That said - on the Beam I can easily tell an Abbado from a Bernstein, a Karajan from Gergiev. Convenience is beyond easy. The music is the same, and that is all that matters to me at this point.

But I am heading, through various circumstance at this time, down the headphone path. Mainly because of convenience, not disturbing others working at home (WAF) and not having a separate and dedicated listening room - WAF again. And 15k buys you alot of head fi.

But to give context of my preferences - My favourite speakers I have owned or experienced - my various Quad 57's (subs didn't really do it for me), Eclipse TD712's, Harbeth 30.1's (and I've had them all - you need the room for 40.1's, and SHL5's/7's/3's are just plain dull), LS3/5as (15 Ohm), some original SF Concerto's (1990's - with full Meridian - God I wish I had that system). Cessaro Chopins (belonging to a friend but not in the right room) Loth X Troubadours (belonging to a deceased friend and magic near field with 8 watt SET), some big 15 inch dual concentric OB's I had (my own version of Jamo 909's)- kicked like a mule - great for EDM but sucked for Classical. CLX's or course - but only heard in a dealers. I liked a pair of Wilson Alexia's I heard a few times - quite transparent. The Maggie's I heard were too narrow a sweet spot for me - I like to wander around or lie on a couch. Soundlabs are very good but getting old now. There will be many others - these just spring to mind.

Speakers I don't like - Magico (anything - sorry everyone - and yes i haven't heard or owned many and none properly driven yada yada), YG (anything - sorry everyone) AVG's (anything - I hate speakers that shout at me), 2905's (not bad but terrible warranty problems). I am sure there are a host of others - I've had or heard so many - Proac/ATC/Naim/Neat/ etc - all don't excite me. Just meddling stuff. You can see my preference is towards the intimate experience, although I love bass done right (no easy thing...).

Others of course will love what I don't - especially in the USA Magico have a huge following - but to me un-involving: abit like Devailet or the (wonderful measuring) Benchmark AHB2 or Krell or Plinius etc. Give me a pair of corner horns, Lamm and vinyl any day.

Dons Flame Suit here.

I know two things - nothing sounds like vinyl except vinyl - but vinyl can be ruinously expensive once you really get into it - and that everyone likes different things - and like to argue about it on forums.

I also know that the folks that argue about sound very rarely discuss music - or if they do - they actually know little about anything but the sound of the music - its that narcissistic 'need to be right' which permeates forums. Always male.

I expect my next (and last system) will be (WAF approved) Eclipse TD712's (+/- their subs), some integrated ( i like a minimal box count) or single source streamer/amp + source. I should love vinyl again, but that is only if / when I have the appetite, money and energy for it. Unfortunately I know the difference between ok and good. Which is about 60-80k. And lots of time I don't have.

In the meantime - a headphone system is where I am going - which I am still discussing with myself atm.

So you see... I am a vicarious audiophile these days - but like to think I know my music a little. But then - that is probably just my ego.

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
As of yesterday I have nothing - my beloved SR15's went to a new home, and I sold off my (older) Naim Atom a few weeks ago (I always think of Naim as the Rega TT of amps - initailly fun - but ultimately ... meh).

I have no doubt every audiophile here will laugh - but atm I listen (without want) to a Sonos Beam in my cavernous open plan lounge dining kitchen (like 13mL x 8mW x 6m - 3mH sloping roof opening to glass) - DSP & EQ ...but more importantly WAF goes a long way - room goes a long way more.

That said - on the Beam I can easily tell an Abbado from a Bernstein, a Karajan from Gergiev. Convenience is beyond easy. The music is the same, and that is all that matters to me at this point.

But I am heading, through various circumstance at this time, down the headphone path. Mainly because of convenience, not disturbing others working at home (WAF) and not having a separate and dedicated listening room - WAF again. And 15k buys you alot of head fi.

But to give context of my preferences - My favourite speakers I have owned or experienced - my various Quad 57's (subs didn't really do it for me), Eclipse TD712's, Harbeth 30.1's (and I've had them all - you need the room for 40.1's, and SHL5's/7's/3's are just plain dull), LS3/5as (15 Ohm), some original SF Concerto's (1990's - with full Meridian - God I wish I had that system). Cessaro Chopins (belonging to a friend but not in the right room) Loth X Troubadours (belonging to a deceased friend and magic near field with 8 watt SET), some big 15 inch dual concentric OB's I had (my own version of Jamo 909's)- kicked like a mule - great for EDM but sucked for Classical. CLX's or course - but only heard in a dealers. I liked a pair of Wilson Alexia's I heard a few times - quite transparent. The Maggie's I heard were too narrow a sweet spot for me - I like to wander around or lie on a couch. Soundlabs are very good but getting old now. There will be many others - these just spring to mind.

Speakers I don't like - Magico (anything - sorry everyone - and yes i haven't heard or owned many and none properly driven yada yada), YG (anything - sorry everyone) AVG's (anything - I hate speakers that shout at me), 2905's (not bad but terrible warranty problems). I am sure there are a host of others - I've had or heard so many - Proac/ATC/Naim/Neat/ etc - all don't excite me. Just meddling stuff. You can see my preference is towards the intimate experience, although I love bass done right (no easy thing...).

Others of course will love what I don't - especially in the USA Magico have a huge following - but to me un-involving: abit like Devailet or the (wonderful measuring) Benchmark AHB2 or Krell or Plinius etc. Give me a pair of corner horns, Lamm and vinyl any day.

Dons Flame Suit here.

I know two things - nothing sounds like vinyl except vinyl - but vinyl can be ruinously expensive once you really get into it - and that everyone likes different things - and like to argue about it on forums.

I also know that the folks that argue about sound very rarely discuss music - or if they do - they actually know little about anything but the sound of the music - its that narcissistic 'need to be right' which permeates forums. Always male.

I expect my next (and last system) will be (WAF approved) Eclipse TD712's (+/- their subs), some integrated ( i like a minimal box count) or single source streamer/amp + source. I should love vinyl again, but that is only if / when I have the appetite, money and energy for it. Unfortunately I know the difference between ok and good. Which is about 60-80k. And lots of time I don't have.

In the meantime - a headphone system is where I am going - which I am still discussing with myself atm.

So you see... I am a vicarious audiophile these days - but like to think I know my music a little. But then - that is probably just my ego.
Very well said mate and thanks for filling Me in. I totally agree with you hi end headphones sound amazing. I am actually looking at buying a pair my self. Headphones certainly have many advantages over speakers and cost a lot less to get sota Sound.as you say they don’t bother other people in the house.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Dons Flame Suit here.

Congrats. Now put your money into random crypto currencies before putting them into random hifi gear. You will definitely lose on the latter, you might win on the former

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Totally agree on magico speakers as well.

Dons Flame Suit here.

Last edited:

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
What speakers are the sr15s?

Silverline SR15 Monitors.

Entirely unassuming paper cones and silk dome tweeters monitors designed and made by the incrediably gifted Alan Yun, of Silverline.

They made it hard to make anything sound bad. They are the subject of the Todd Wanke review from 2000, cited above. The word 'balance' appears throughout that review. It accurately reflects my experience.

I bought them for AUD600 in 2018, and sold them for AUD450 yesterday. I sat them on Aperta 100 stands. I used Graham Slee cables.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Silverline SR15 Monitors.

Entirely unassuming paper cones and silk dome tweeters monitors designed and made by the incrediably gifted Alan Yun, of Silverline.

They made it hard to make anything sound bad. They are the subject of the Todd Wanke review from 2000, cited above. The word 'balance' appears throughout that review. It accurately reflects my experience.

I bought them for AUD600 in 2018, and sold them for AUD450 yesterday. I sat them on Aperta 100 stands. I used Graham Slee cables.
Oh sorry I saw the review above but didn’t look at the model.they look very nice.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Oh sorry I saw the review above but didn’t look at the model.they look very nice.

They were/are modest by 'audiophile' judgement, but if you leave those pre conceived notions at the door, and allow yourself to enjoy the music, they are remarkable. I liken them to a full bodied 30.1's, but not as resolving.
You got them cheap and sold them cheap.what headphones do you like?

Yes - I usually buy secondhand, unless it is unavoidable eg Eclipse TD712's.

Oh goodness - headphones. No idea yet. Been through the whole Senn 6xx / Beyer DT's / AKG / Denon / Audeze thing - [ insert various ss/tube headamps/converters here], but I expect to be quite a few notches above those. It may be no one headphone can do it all. The Abyss Diana appeals, as does the Final D8000. Perhaps the Utopia.

In Tas. there is no opportunity to audition, so I am being kindly guided by a couple of folks hugely experienced. If Covid wasn't a thing, I would fly to Melb to audition at A2A etc. Perhaps I will be able to have them send me equipment to try. In any event, it matters not.

In the meantime - I have a pair of Airpod Max's arriving, for convenience and the bluetooth ability. They won't go to waste.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
They were/are modest by 'audiophile' judgement, but if you leave those pre conceived notions at the door, and allow yourself to enjoy the music, they are remarkable. I liken them to a full bodied 30.1's, but not as resolving.

Yes - I usually buy secondhand, unless it is unavoidable eg Eclipse TD712's.

Oh goodness - headphones. No idea yet. Been through the whole Senn 6xx / Beyer DT's / AKG / Denon / Audeze thing - [ insert various ss/tube headamps/converters here], but I expect to be quite a few notches above those. It may be no one headphone can do it all. The Abyss Diana appeals, as does the Final D8000. Perhaps the Utopia.

In Tas. there is no opportunity to audition, so I am being kindly guided by a couple of folks hugely experienced. If Covid wasn't a thing, I would fly to Melb to audition at A2A etc. Perhaps I will be able to have them send me equipment to try. In any event, it matters not.

In the meantime - I have a pair of Airpod Max's arriving, for convenience and the bluetooth ability. They won't go to waste.
Nice.isn’t there any hifi shops in Hobart?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing