Harbeth Super HL5 30th Anniversary

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Hello,

I have been offered a pair Harbeth Super HL5 Anniversary for a very good price. These speakers have a sensitivity of 86dB and I have 30W/Ch OTL tube amp, needless to say I do not want to change amps, I am very happy with it. What are the chances that they will be a good match in real life? I do no have the opportunity to try them at home.

Anyone with HL5s on the forum?

Cheers,

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I find that Harbeths enjoy a great many amplifiers and it's not just wattage or tubes vs SS. You probably won't know what you like until you hear it.... so I would just get the speakers and resell if you don't like how they work with your amp. SHL5s sell fast when they come up.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Your amp should pair just fine unless your room is large or you have extensive acoustic challenges. To me Harbeths sound engaging and are enjoyable at moderate volumes. Perhaps 80 dba at your position. Don’t sit to far from them and the 30 watts should be a good match.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing