Harmonices Mundi - Music of the Spheres - Really!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

Kepler, who first determined that planets move in elliptical orbits, using the observations of the positions of Mars, also was an astrologer, whose book Harmonices Mundi explained the celestial music of the spheres from the interactions of the crystalline spheres that held the sun, moon, planets and stars in space. These were more mathematical constructs than real music or sounds. But here we have real audio from Mars, from the recently arrived Mars rover Perseverance. No Gustav Holst, but quite amazing to hear the winds of Mars picked up by the microphones on the instrument.

When I was in school, studying astronomy, very few of my astronomy major classmates studied planetary science. In college we only had one faculty member who did planets, a young assistant professor who did not get tenure and left Harvard for Cornell in my senior year. His name was Carl Sagan. Much later I served a couple of terms on the California Council of Science and Technology and the other astronomer on the Council during my time there was Ed Stone, the director of Jet Propulsion Laboratories in Pasadena. He had been the lead scientist for several of the major exploratory missions of the solar system, including the two Voyager missions to the outer planets, and was head of JPL during the Mars Pathfinder and Sojourner mission when we were on the Council together.

Larry

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Very cool! Loved that the mic was a DPA (the old B&K). Whether recording the latest DSD Mahler series for Channel Classics, or winds from Mars, DPA doesn't care! Pretty good PR either way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing