Harmonix spike bases …

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Harmonix thingies don’t get much attention in this forum, it seems.

I use a pair of TAD micro evolution 1 speakers, augmented by a vintage Velodyne dd12 sub (does the job).
Biwiring with vintage NBS monitor 1 speaker cable. Sat on their Orinal spikes and bases.

Impressive dynamics, clarity, detail.
But.
A mechanical quality, less than fluid, a lack of emotion, fun. While the old Velo sub did it’s job up to 45Hz, the TADs seemed to lack body with voices, seeming anaemic.
I had a few Original stillpoints and stillpoints inverse risers here, so I put them between speaker stands and wooden floor.

Wow, fun was back big time, drama, excitement. Still some glare.
Following recommendations of the TAD community here I acquired Harmonix RF 999z million spike bases.
As I had not much confidence in the TAD spikes, I got some simple M6 steel spikes, too.

Initially bass suffered, flabby, lack of control. This got better.
Tonally some 24h later things got pretty pleasant, really nice.

But.
Dynamics suffer. All is nicely nuanced, voices have expression, but …
there is a lack in macro dynamics. Lack of heft. All is too polite, too relaxed.
Seems to improve with time, though.

Folks here recommended Audio Replas rsi spikes to be the bees knees with TAD & Harmonix.
Not that cheap, neither.

Your experience with Harmonix spike bases? Wait some more time?

Attachments

• D9070B05-DA50-4D00-88ED-33C83DF5BDBB.jpeg
    D9070B05-DA50-4D00-88ED-33C83DF5BDBB.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 37B9C691-6013-4E99-973C-745429D39D13.jpeg
    37B9C691-6013-4E99-973C-745429D39D13.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: PhP

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

I use a pair of TAD micro evolution 1 speakers, augmented by a vintage Velodyne dd12 sub (does the job).
Biwiring with vintage NBS monitor 1 speaker cable. Sat on their Orinal spikes and bases.

But.
A mechanical quality, less than fluid, a lack of emotion, fun. While the old Velo sub did it’s job up to 45Hz, the TADs seemed to lack body with voices, seeming anaemic.
I had a few Original stillpoints and stillpoints inverse risers here, so I put them between speaker stands and wooden floor.

Following recommendations of the TAD community here I acquired Harmonix RF 999z million spike bases.
As I had not much confidence in the TAD spikes, I got some simple M6 steel spikes, too.

But.
there is a lack in macro dynamics. Lack of heft. All is too polite, too relaxed.

Folks here recommended Audio Replas rsi spikes to be the bees knees with TAD & Harmonix.
Not that cheap, neither.

I have heard them sound like world beaters in some systems - mediocre in others. Since they tune a component's resonant signature to be more "sympathetic" to music rather than absorbing/dissipating resonances, different spike materials will change the sound. Have you tried brass spikes?

Diasoft5

Feb 19, 2020
40764 Langenfeld / Germany
I tried Harmonix RF 900 Mk2 with my Gauder RC7 on concrete-screed-parquet floor. Did not like it, to lean, no dynamics. The sound was precise but dull. Sucked all the life out of my speakers. Like having a 70s kitchen transistor radio. Sorry no love here.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I am using TAD CR1TX. I found the imaging outline less focused/delineated and harmonic details seems killed by Harmonix RF-999mk2. Although the stage and depth seems better.
But overall I don't really enjoy Harmonix RF-999 mk2.

I kept the harmonix for 1.5 months but the sound remained the same

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
A mechanical quality, less than fluid, a lack of emotion, fun.
Dump all the NBS, no footer’s going to fix this problem!
NBS with their solid oversized images and forward sound are impressive initially but it’s all hifi coloration, they lack any real depth of tone and have limited tonal range. In time their coloration become fatiguing, what you describe above is their true nature.
david

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Dump all the NBS, no footer’s going to fix this problem!
NBS with their solid oversized images and forward sound are impressive initially but it’s all hifi coloration, they lack any real depth of tone and have limited tonal range. In time their coloration become fatiguing, what you describe above is their true nature.
david
While my aging cables have their shortcomings, I never had mechanical quality, lack of fluidity and emotion with NBS cables and my Scintillas.
With the TADs this problem came and is highly dependent of their footers.
Original spikes and bases: ugh.
Stillpoints/inverse risers: fun is back.
Harmonix: fluidity, nuances back, but lack of macro dynamics.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Can spike bases „break in“? Just wait? So was the advice of two experienced Harmonix users here.
They were right. To my considerable surprise.
Initially flabby bass got pretty good, but all was still too polite.

I asked Ed Doggen, the European distributor about my 999z million spike bases and what to do.
He advised me to install my ages old RFA 78 discs which I had almost forgotten … in a new way.
I had them when new in a rectangular room installed at the corners.
Had been nice, but not earth shaking.
Moved to a new L shaped room with truly great acoustics and did not know then how to place those discs … and forgot them.

New room, new instructions by Ed for placement after I had sent him pics of the room.
I am surprised.
Dynamics are back, more power in each single note, better reproduction of space, better placement of instruments.
Bass improved further.

Right now all is pretty nice. Really pretty good.
Not that I understand all what had happened …

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Hello

HARMONIX feet of the past, say before 2020 were too warm and not enough detailed sound. I was not fan of them, but it's my appreciation and yours. Then 2020, most products were modified and some flagship models appeared. Those new models are far better than the older ones. Even then I changed some, RF-999Z is better than RF-999M which is far better than RF-999MT MK2. Same with cones.
Apart of that, the sound depends on the gears you have. I have and some of my customers, very neutral and ultra precise electronics and speakers. If you put mere cones, pads or ball bearing systems, the sound become agressive or bright or dull (pads, sorbothan..).
That's why many audiophiles like their own solution, they are system dependent at one time. If you upgrade 1 major component, it's often time to balance again for right musical presentation.
Kind regards,
PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Can spike bases „break in“? Just wait? So was the advice of two experienced Harmonix users here.
They were right. To my considerable surprise.
Initially flabby bass got pretty good, but all was still too polite.

I asked Ed Doggen, the European distributor about my 999z million spike bases and what to do.
He advised me to install my ages old RFA 78 discs which I had almost forgotten … in a new way.
I had them when new in a rectangular room installed at the corners.
Had been nice, but not earth shaking.
Moved to a new L shaped room with truly great acoustics and did not know then how to place those discs … and forgot them.

New room, new instructions by Ed for placement after I had sent him pics of the room.
I am surprised.
Dynamics are back, more power in each single note, better reproduction of space, better placement of instruments.
Bass improved further.

Right now all is pretty nice. Really pretty good.
Not that I understand all what had happened …
Hello
There is no HARMONIX European distributor, there are many in Europe. Some in Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France (me), Switzerland...
RF-999Z or some other HARMONIX (TU-1000M / TU-210ZXM to say current models) need break in time. RS-1502 RS was.
Plancement of RFA discs need some experience. I used HARMONIX set up but the sound was to bright sometimes, due to my room dimensions and.... I moved 6 and the sound is now balanced, live, but never bright. I used ears to set up and also measurements of reverberation time.
KR
PHP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I am using TAD CR1TX. I found the imaging outline less focused/delineated and harmonic details seems killed by Harmonix RF-999mk2. Although the stage and depth seems better.
But overall I don't really enjoy Harmonix RF-999 mk2.

I kept the harmonix for 1.5 months but the sound remained the same
RF-999MK2 is too warm, try RF-999Z

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I tried Harmonix RF 900 Mk2 with my Gauder RC7 on concrete-screed-parquet floor. Did not like it, to lean, no dynamics. The sound was precise but dull. Sucked all the life out of my speakers. Like having a 70s kitchen transistor radio. Sorry no love here.
Hi
RF-900 MK2 is an old product, not in production for many years. The sound is dull, especially on wood floor. Try RF-999Z they are much better, especially if you use REI-168 cones. A lot of audiophiles use HARMONIX bases with their stock speakers cones in steel or aluminium and complain about the base.
KR
PHP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr

But.

But.

Not that cheap, neither.

Don't use RF-999 with standard cones, your picture shows cheap cones or spikes. HARMONIX system is REI-168+RF-999Z.
KR
PHP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
About HARMONIX
I use only new models post 2020. Older models provide a round sound, warm that I don't like (personal appreciation). Some people like RFS-65m Hyotan especially in double configuration or RS-1502M. I like the last one but it is support depending. Some bases like RF-999 or MK2 provided over damp sound for me, I understand many audiophiles that share my position.
HARMONIX RF-999Z is a system and should be used with REI-168 cones. With other cones, the sound is not what this very good base can do. Also many audiophiles like forward presentation with steel base and cones. No very good cones are like that. Goldmund, Walker and other best of the past were with hard material but dampened inside to prevent ringing. Some of my customers use RF-999Z + REI 168 under their big mono amps (JMF, AUDIONET, APURNA, ...) or under their transport / Streamer (PLAYBACK DESIGNS, WEISS, JMF, DCS, PINK FAUN...) and all said that their system is now more balanced, more 3D with more details, faster transients, better bass and also more neutral tones.
I tried so many cones, cups, ball bearing systems than I can say these last models from HARMONIX is my present reference. That said, I will receive some foot from a US company, may be a revelation ?
All the best

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
I would like to add that 999z million bases will not perform the way they can with less than decent spikes.
Changing from TAD spikes (chromed messing, no sharp tip) to cheap stainless steel spikes (7EU four spikes) did help a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_3226.jpeg
    IMG_3226.jpeg
    829.6 KB · Views: 5

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
But … Audio Replas spikes are better still!
Swapping meant to wait again for all things to settle again. 24h later things came together, highly recommended combo, I’d say.
Maybe having oak parquet helps synergy, other floors maybe less.

Attachments

• PC4A6586.jpeg
    PC4A6586.jpeg
    568.9 KB · Views: 11

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I have heard them sound like world beaters in some systems - mediocre in others. Since they tune a component's resonant signature to be more "sympathetic" to music rather than absorbing/dissipating resonances, different spike materials will change the sound. Have you tried brass spikes?
I tried Goldmund cones (discontinued) with RF-999Z : very good but a touch bright. RF-999Z with Walker Valid cone is quite good, not bright and even more true on tones. However REI-168 is the best match with RF-999Z save for those who use TU-210ZXM new cone. I have these under my Playback MTS-8 transport, by far the best grounding system. However my audio stand is unique and may be more rigid than any stand at any cost.

Reactions: French Fred

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
But … Audio Replas spikes are better still!
Swapping meant to wait again for all things to settle again. 24h later things came together, highly recommended combo, I’d say.
Maybe having oak parquet helps synergy, other floors maybe less.
Audio Replas are quite good (I have some of their parts here) but please try REI-168. They are made to match RF-900M/RF-909M and RF-999Z. But 999Z are by far the best. Sometimes RF-900M designed to be used when there is no enough room for bigger parts, can sound very good because they have few wood so less damping.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Audio Replas are quite good (I have some of their parts here) but please try REI-168. They are made to match RF-900M/RF-909M and RF-999Z. But 999Z are by far the best. Sometimes RF-900M designed to be used when there is no enough room for bigger parts, can sound very good because they have few wood so less damping.
I don’t dare to use REI-168, as
I need m6 screw in ends for my speakers.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I don’t dare to use REI-168, as
I need m6 screw in ends for my speakers.
Yes most speakers use screws for safety and sometimes leveling for box speakers. I will ask Kazuo if a special threatened version is possible. Under my amplifiers, I ask the manufacturer to make special feet for REI-168, he did, and now it's available on each amplifier from this manufacturer. The stereo model has now feet that could receive REI-168 and the 2 versions of the mono-blocs have now feet that could receive REI-168 or TU-210ZXM

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing