Has anyone heard the Devialet D-Premier Integrated Amp/DAC

Rufus McDufus

Aug 14, 2013
I think the pricing problem started when they brought out the 110/170/240. The 170 was half the price of the 240 yet barely worse. To me with my speakers they sounded identical. I feel the improvement many hear with the 240 might be due to the extra power needed to drive their speakers adequately. I could be wrong on this as I didn't test them side-by-side but to my ears they were pretty close. The 170/110 seemed to herald "trickle down" of the technology to lower priced devices. The introduction of the dual mono 400 seems to be a logical extension of that.
The 110 on the face of it seemed to offer best value of all, but it is missing a few key components to many. But could we see a dual mono 110 next? Would that make sense? Possibly not as the price differential to the 170 isn't as great.

gtiboy

Apr 3, 2013
Whose to say in a 1 or 2 years time that Devialet won't update their whole range again and produce a D400 in one box eliminating the need for dual mono?

Think about it, if the D250 when paired in dual mono can produce 800 watts, then isit simply software that tunes it upto 400 watts?

If thats the case, considering that Devialet are a young company, they are constantly in a state of innovation and producing new products and services as they learn.

Just look at what happened when the D240 came out after the D-Premier, people were up in arms about it.

What happens if someone purchases the D400 dual mono and it gets replaced in a few years time for a one box solution? looking at their history so far, it wouldn't be surprising, purely as a way for Devialet to generate demand and make money.

Rufus McDufus

Aug 14, 2013
True! This is something we don't see with more traditional hi-fi companies as the pace of change has been pretty slow over the years. It's only really certain areas, digital streaming mainly, but also improvements in things like Class D, which are driving change. Devialet are very innovative and also embracing those same areas which are changing rapidly so all our Devialets are probably going to be superseded in a fairly short time. At least we do benefit from some change via firmware updates though. Owning a Devialet is a pretty exciting prospect though, much more than static gear.

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Yes.

That cable with wooden end has a single wire inside. That wire ends at the wooden rca like the ground connection of eichmann plugs, just touching the outer ring of the rca. The wood is there mostly to keep it in place. There is no central pin.

So it is a connection from one of the grounding posts of tellus to one ground point of Devialet.

How and why it works is beyond me but it is not a small effect. More detail, relaxed sound, better air, increased "you are there" feeling etc.

I don't want to sound too enthusiastic but that box is staying :) if you have the chance just try it for yourself.

Cheers

I'm also using an Entreq ground box. It is a massive upgrade and really does take the sound quality of the Devialet to dizzying new levels.

I've also experienced great results using Entreq power cables. Again the results are not subtle.

Guillaume

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
It would be interesting to know how relays are used within the Devialet products as it does have them, because I know some audio products use relays for the input and if so I am trying to understand how the enteriq cables can assist in those circumstances.
I appreciate it is probable relays are not used for input signal-ground, but always good to know for a product one owns when looking at grounding (technical-reference-signal)/isolation/etc.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

IGuardianI

May 21, 2014
I'm also using an Entreq ground box. It is a massive upgrade and really does take the sound quality of the Devialet to dizzying new levels.

I've also experienced great results using Entreq power cables. Again the results are not subtle.

Guillaume

Which exact products from Entreq are you using with the Devialet? I've been hearing a lot about this "new" method beside AC to improve your system, it seems to be worth checking out!

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Which exact products from Entreq are you using with the Devialet? I've been hearing a lot about this "new" method beside AC to improve your system, it seems to be worth checking out!

I'm currently using a Silver Tellus ground box with Apollo earth cables, with both my dual monos (Devialet 800) and MiND 180 connected to the box via the earth cables.

Mains cables-wise I've been experimenting with both the Challenger V3 and Apollo mains cables with US fittings. A couple of months ago I had my electrician fit a dedicated consumer unit with 8 circuits, with each one feeding a wall socket/outlet. 3 of those are Furutech GTX-D (R) sockets with carbon faceplates. So I suppose you could say there's a nice synergy with the Entreq mains cables which use high-end Furutech carbon fittings.

Anyway when I first heard the Challenger V3s I thought they were the best mains cables I had ever heard (and this was with brand new Furutech wall outlets which had never been used!). Of course everything just got better and better. Then a few weeks later I tried the Apollos. At first I didn't notice such a huge difference but that evening listening to some familiar tunes it hit me. Suddenly everything just made so much sense; effortless presentation with so much detail and power, and supremely musical! I've since tried going back to the Challenger V3s a couple of times however it feels like such a downgrade coming from the Apollos!

I've tried a number of other mains cables in my system including Chord Sarum TA (which are excellent by the way!) and Sablon.

I'm hugely impressed by what Entreq has brought to my system. Essentially the noise floor almost vanishes allowing all the micro details to emerge in the most natural manner. Nothing is forced or exaggerated. Any digital harshness just softens away. I can't recommend it enough really.

Guillaume

Last edited:

gtiboy

Apr 3, 2013
I'm currently using a Silver Tellus ground box with Apollo earth cables, with both my dual monos (Devialet 800) and MiND 180 connected to the box via the earth cables.

Mains cables-wise I've been experimenting with both the Challenger V3 and Apollo mains cables with US fittings. A couple of months ago I had my electrician fit a dedicated consumer unit with 8 circuits, with each one feeding a wall socket/outlet. 3 of those are Furutech GTX-D (R) sockets with carbon faceplates. So I suppose you could say there's a nice synergy with the Entreq mains cables which use high-end Furutech carbon fittings.

Anyway when I first heard the Challenger V3s I thought they were the best mains cables I had ever heard (and this was with brand new Furutech wall outlets which had never been used!). Of course everything just got better and better. Then a few weeks later I tried the Apollos. At first I didn't notice such a huge difference but that evening listening to some familiar tunes it hit me. Suddenly everything just made so much sense; effortless presentation with so much detail and power, and supremely musical! I've since tried going back to the Challenger V3s a couple of times however it feels like such a downgrade coming from the Apollos!

I've tried a number of other mains cables in my system including Chord Sarum TA (which are excellent by the way!) and Sablon.

I'm hugely impressed by what Entreq has brought to my system. Essentially the noise floor almost vanishes allowing all the micro details to emerge in the most natural manner. Nothing is forced or exaggerated. Any digital harshness just softens away. I can't recommend it enough really.

Guillaume

Have you tried a Naim powerline? I have and it brang out more to the sound, Vocals and instruments were more clearly defined and separated and the sound became more clearer still. Defintetly made a big difference.

Petter

May 12, 2013
This tweaks can go on forever :)

My best experince is that i use a ground it isolation platform (pro ject),and then some feets to take all the micro-vibration away

I did use the Naim powerline for a year on both the Devialet and the transporter ( leftover from my Naim period) ….agree thats a good one !!

But Did change to Nordost since they will make one with a connector that will fit on the back at the Devialet and also can be made in shorter versions ,and are happy so far

Cant say its better or worse than the powerline but more practical since its fits on the Devialet

Anyway the 250 sound great att the moment combined with the transporter and Wimp

h9151105

Mar 11, 2013
Since I upgraded the firmware of my devialet premier to 7.1, the wireless AIR connection results to many drop-outs although the signal value is the same. Did anyone have the same issue?

Yaduvent

Jan 9, 2013
Since I upgraded the firmware of my devialet premier to 7.1, the wireless AIR connection results to many drop-outs although the signal value is the same. Did anyone have the same issue?

Did you also update the Devialet AIR to 2.1.2 ?

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Hi all.
Are there anyone who streams Spotify by the Apple TV vía AirPlay?
Are there any difference between that and the Air option?
What about the quality of the optical input of the Devialet?
I think that the Apple TV is the best convenience option.

flashman

Apr 17, 2014
Hi all.
Are there anyone who streams Spotify by the Apple TV vía AirPlay?
Are there any difference between that and the Air option?
What about the quality of the optical input of the Devialet?
I think that the Apple TV is the best convenience option.

I have tried Spotify through the optical input via an iTouch and through AIR. AIR sounds better to me. Subjectively, of course!

gtiboy

Apr 3, 2013
I've tried streaming using a Naim ND5 XS via S/P DIF using a USB stick with FLAC files on, against an iPhone streaming ALAC files over AIR, and I thought the Naim Streamer sounded better, more body to to the sound.

gray

May 18, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
I have very little experience with headphones but a friend recently lent me his Sennheiser HD650 headphones which I have been listening to over the last few days via the line outs of my D200.
It is very listenable but to me lacks a little definition and clarity, especially at the frequency extremes. Hard for me to know if I am listening to the limitations of the phones or the D's preamplified line outs.
It has made me curious to try other headphones driven by the D.

Are there other D users out there using their D's to drive headphones ?
What do people think of the D as a headphone amp ?

agentsmith

Jul 23, 2012
I have very little experience with headphones but a friend recently lent me his Sennheiser HD650 headphones which I have been listening to over the last few days via the line outs of my D200.
It is very listenable but to me lacks a little definition and clarity, especially at the frequency extremes. Hard for me to know if I am listening to the limitations of the phones or the D's preamplified line outs.
It has made me curious to try other headphones driven by the D.

Are there other D users out there using their D's to drive headphones ?
What do people think of the D as a headphone amp ?

Just curious, How do you connect your minijack headphones to the Devialet output?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing