Has Magico lost its Touch?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I see that Peter A and now Myles B Astor have moved away from their Magico speakers as have some on Audioshark. Even Jay did not really like the M6's and now luv's the Wilson XLF's.

Words like " natural" , " lifelike" , "musical" " free flowing" seem to be part of the new speakers descriptors, but not Magico.

Has Magico lost it's audiophile touch?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I see that Peter A and now Myles B Astor have moved away from their Magico speakers as have some on Audioshark. Even Jay did not really like the M6's and now luv's the Wilson XLF's.

Words like " natural" , " lifelike" , "musical" " free flowing" seem to be part of the new speakers descriptors, but not Magico.

Not really. Just listened to MadFloyd's (Ian's) Magico M Project yesterday again, never sounded better and more life-like. Total opposite from "analytical". Report forthcoming.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I doubt it. Some people are never satisfied. However, I do wonder how much longer they can make new speakers. At some point I suspect speaker technology will stop improving at below stratosphere price points.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Silk dome vs diamond-coated beryllium ?

The tweeter in the M Project is super smooth. The diamond coating precisely helps to achieve that.

Reactions: Audire and ack

RSFN

Jun 14, 2021
I used to have magicos and I still listen to them at friends systems frequently, love the m series and just chose my speakers by a small margin against m2/m3. I cant say the same about several other brands.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Audiophiles are hunters not nesters.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

What loudspeaker does Myles use now?

Reactions: prerich

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Zellaton plural Evo's.

Reactions: XV-1

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . At some point I suspect speaker technology will stop improving at below stratosphere price points.

Even if that's true do you really think speaker manufacturers will cease claiming breakthroughs and stop making new speakers?

• Haha
Reactions: andromedaaudio

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Reactions: Andrew S.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: Audire

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The big zellaton were always one of my favorites since I heard them here. They have an apogee like midrange (with more musical detail) with this FM set up. Never heard the smaller ones.

Yes these play at Munich too but don't sound anything like they do at audio arts

Reactions: AudioLibertarian

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Although I own the XLF's, good friends own the Magico MPro and Q7mks and I listened to them sounding great - I could associate the descriptors you refer to their systems.

People seem to forget that we listen to speakers in systems and people have different preferences. And yes, if a manufacturer has high sales numbers the probability of knowing about people moving from the brand is much higher than from manufacturers selling an occasional speaker.

IMHO we can expect people who participate in audio forums to be stereo enthusiasts who like to change from time to time or be part of those who declare they want to be buried with their current equipment. ;)

But yes, IMHO the XLF is really a great speaker - thanks for the information about Jay ! I include the link, just in case Lloyd has not seen it : https://www.audioshark.org/general-audio-discussion-15/jays-audio-journey-19598-page7.html :cool:

Reactions: RSFN

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I wish someone could produce today the sound of the best vintage speakers and turntables, and the looks of the best cars from the 1960s. They can do it with sailboats from the 30s.

Imagine if Magico made a cone speaker with 95+ dB efficiency, and with fewer drivers and simpler crossovers. Then we would see if the advances in driver materials and cabinet construction are meaningfully better than what has been done before.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing