Have you discovered any musician or composer this year?

MarcoLusius

Dec 20, 2018
NY
Have you discovered any musician or composer this year? I, personally, am impressed by the Nico Cartosio’s “Christmas on the moon” video. Wonderful music. By the way, the musicians and the conductor took part in creating soundtracks for “Interstellar”, “Harry Potter”, “Beauty and the Beast”. And it’s recorded on the famous abbey road studio. I’m sharing the video

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
Since the vast majority of my classical music listening is from, say, post WWII to the contemporary era, I am constantly discovering new composers.

Erkki-Sven Tüür from Estonia is a recent discovery for me. I am loving his Violin concerto, "Zeitraum for orchestra", "Aditus (for orchestra)" among others.

Ann Thorvaldsdottir is another very recent discovery. "Aeriality", "Hrim", "Ro", and others. Very haunting and atmospheric.

Andrew Norman is yet another. I really like his percussion concerto, "Switch". Also, "Mine, Mime, Meme" for flute, clarinet, violin, cello, piano, percussion, "Light Screens", "Spiral". Pretty much everything I've heard of Norman's.

Augusta Read Thomas is another. I only have one piece from her, "EOS (Goddess of Dawn)", but it is excellent.

The nice thing about the Augusta Read Thomas piece, is it is on a Reference Recording with Andrew Norman's "Switch" and a great piece by Nico Muhly, "Control (Five Landscapes for Orchestra) ". Great music, on an audiophile recording.

As far as a new performer discovery, that would be, Eighth Blackbird. A contemporary music ensemble from Chicago.

Their latest, "Hind, Eye" is amazing! I also have "Strange Imaginary Animals", which is almost as good.

They record on Cedille Records, a label I am not familiar with, but the recording is extremely good. Incredible imaging and soundstage.

Last edited:

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
Mieczyslaw Weinberg. Per Wiki, "(...1919 – ...1996) ... was a Soviet composer of Polish-Jewish origin. From 1939 he lived in the Soviet Union and Russia and lost most of his family in the Holocaust. He left a large body of work that included twenty-two symphonies and seventeen string quartets." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mieczysław_Weinberg

Haven't heard any of the latter, string quartets NOT being one of my favorite forms, but I bought all five of CHANDOS's SACDs.. Sounds a bit like like Shostakovich (who was a friend) without the screaching which I can't take much of the last decade or so*.

* the chapter-forward button is my friend. :rolleyes:

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
So, I'm trying to figure out the deal with the OP for this thread.

He joined on 12/20, and so far, has posted 4 times on different threads. And all 4 posts are links to this "Christmas on the Moon" video by Nico Cartosio. And he has yet to reply to any comment on his threads.

Seems like a friend of the composer, or maybe the composer himself? I googled the composer's name, and every reference I came across has very similar wording as this OP.

I responded to this thread with hopes that I might hear other new and interesting recent discoveries by members here, or at least from the OP, but instead, it looks more like marketing for Nico Cartosio.

One more comment, the music in the video posted, does not really sound like neoclassical music to me. It comes off simply as soundtrack music. A legitimate art form in own right, but not exactly what is being sold here.

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Mieczyslaw Weinberg. Per Wiki, "(...1919 – ...1996) ... was a Soviet composer of Polish-Jewish origin. From 1939 he lived in the Soviet Union and Russia and lost most of his family in the Holocaust. He left a large body of work that included twenty-two symphonies and seventeen string quartets." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mieczys?aw_Weinberg

Haven't heard any of the latter, string quartets NOT being one of my favorite forms, but I bought all five of CHANDOS's SACDs.. Sounds a bit like like Shostakovich (who was a friend) without the screaching which I can't take much of the last decade or so*.

* the chapter-forward button is my friend. :rolleyes:

I have a recording of his Violin Concerto on EMI ASD2755 (vinyl) which was performed by Leonid Kogan. released from a Melodiya recording in 1971. In this case his name is given as Moishe Vainberg.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing