Hearing loss reversal with drug combination

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
a team of researchers from MIT, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Massachusetts Eye and Ear believe they’ve found a combination of drugs which can actually stimulate the ear into growing new hair cells.
The team had actually started exploring the idea of generating new hair cells back in 2013 when they found that they could create large quantities of intestinal cells and then stimulate them into differentiating.

They then tried the same approach on cells from a mouse cochlea and found that they could indeed create a large pool of immature progenitor cells.

Once they had a solid foundation of cells they then added another set of molecules that provoked them into becoming hair cells.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...erse-hearing-loss_uk_58ad5e99e4b0d0a6ef4657da

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Now we'll have mice who can hear you (or your cat) coming from a mile away!

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
I'll volunteer for the trial group, sign me up .

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Brigham and Women's is a top hospital, and the Mass Eye and Ear at the forefront of research - that's where I have my hearing tested, and I have high hopes for their research. If you've ever taken an audio test, the scariest part is going into that anechoic booth, putting on the headphones and inevitably hearing your heart beat.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Am I blind or did they not say which drugs they were using?

It kind of makes their publishing this information a moot point if they don't say.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Am I blind or did they not say which drugs they were using?

It kind of makes their publishing this information a moot point if they don't say.

They do mention some of the drugs

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Darn, I don't see the drugs listed anymore. I swear I saw references to some addicting-type drugs, and maybe they removed the references because of that. I wanna say I saw fentanyl???!?!? I guess better not to know now.

gilles13

Dec 17, 2015
south of France
I have a friend who speaks chinese and uses chinese médecine. He said me that with a cocktail of plants you can get a gain with better earing. I am going to try this in may.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I have a friend who speaks Chinese and uses Chinese 'médicine'. He said to me that with a cocktail of plants you can get a gain with better hearing.
I am going to try this in May.

Tiens-nous bien au courant de tes expériences et résultats (évaluations). :b

Chinese medicine would be more my preferred method to improve my hearing. ...And much more, life's expansion related; vision, heart, etc.

gilles13

Dec 17, 2015
south of France
In France it's not allowed, but in a lot of European countries it's allowed. I have had good result with liver's problem and official medicine can't do anything for me . But it's not definitive, I am obliged to take a treatment each 1.5 or 2 years.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
So what happens if the drugs are too effective and you end up with a massive 30 dB "hump" in your frequency response at 4 Khz? Ouch. The dentist's scaling tool drives me nuts enough as it is! :p

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
You Can Hear Me Now, But What About Tomorrow?

DSP Medicine | Hearing-Aid

"Modern technology may be on the trail of a solution, thanks to — you guessed it — DSP. Plus, neural networks, "deep-learning" machine-learning algorithms, and the nano-ization of processing hardware and transducers. A recent article from IEE Spectrum (the journal of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) recounts research conducted at Ohio State University, building on work at McGill and elsewhere, to develop "actively smart" (my words) DSP filtering that can extract speech from blanketing noise, including other voices — the long-known "cocktail-party effect" — with astonishing precision."

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I did a Google Scholar search of refereed journal articles and was unable to find a recent article on drugs to re-grow cochlear hair cells. There were several articles from 15-20 years ago, but none like the original link mentioned.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing