Hegel H30 - Does anyone own one or at least heard it? ....

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I just picked up mine yesterday and have to say that I am mightily impressed. Full tone, great bass with sweet mids and top end. I think it's an amazing value.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I think stereo had one in his system and was also very impressed.

How does it compare to the Dag, sound wise ?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Adam

People may think I'm a little crazy but as good as the Dagostino amp was, I felt it was a little compressed or dense. I don't get that with the Hegel. It seems more open and airy with the fullness and tone that I love.

I think stereo had one in his system and was also very impressed.

How does it compare to the Dag, sound wise ?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Joe,

What are you using with the Strads?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Nothing yet. I am still waiting for a delivery date.

My ultimate go to combo will be the CJ GAT and ART monos. For more casual listening, anything goes from the rest of my arsenal - mainly solid state.

Joe,

What are you using with the Strads?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Adam
People may think I'm a little crazy but as good as the Dagostino amp was, I felt it was a little compressed or dense. I don't get that with the Hegel. It seems more open and airy with the fullness and tone that I love.

Hi Joe,

May I know which preamp are you using with H30 : the CJ GAT?
If so, any impedance matching issue?

Thanks.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
i use the hegel hd-25 dac.
i really like the hegel sound. they are voiced very nicely. sweet, warm tone, yet highly resolving.
great value for money.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Yes, the CJ GAT is being used right now. It's the only pre that I have at the moment but it mates perfectly. There is no impedance issue, it sounds awesome.

My only speakers rith now are borrowed Raidho D1. They have NEVER sounded better than right now. It's just wonderful.

Hi Joe,

May I know which preamp are you using with H30 : the CJ GAT?
If so, any impedance matching issue?

Thanks.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
+1

That's great. I am glad you love your Hegel and agree with your description.

i use the hegel hd-25 dac.
i really like the hegel sound. they are voiced very nicely. sweet, warm tone, yet highly resolving.
great value for money.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Yes, the CJ GAT is being used right now. It's the only pre that I have at the moment but it mates perfectly. There is no impedance issue, it sounds awesome.
My only speakers rith now are borrowed Raidho D1. They have NEVER sounded better than right now. It's just wonderful.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your info!

I am considering to drive my S5 with H30.
If it can work well with your GAT, it should be able to do so too with my ARC 40 Anniversary preamp.

Cheers,
CK

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
The output impedance of my GAT is under 100 ohms. The ARC preamp output impedances are around 600 ohms. I don't know how that may affect the sound. Maybe someone can offer their opinion.

I feel the H30 on the S5 will be killer. Enjoy!

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your info!

I am considering to drive my S5 with H30.
If it can work well with your GAT, it should be able to do so too with my ARC 40 Anniversary preamp.

Cheers,
CK

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
The output impedance of my GAT is under 100 ohms. The ARC preamp output impedances are around 600 ohms. I don't know how that may affect the sound. Maybe someone can offer their opinion.

I feel the H30 on the S5 will be killer. Enjoy!
Checking the specs for the Hegel H30 from their website, its input impedance is 10kohm unbalanced and 20kohm balanced which is generally considered low. Therefore I would suggest trying it with the ARC 40 if possible to ensure that it performs up to your expectations. Having too low of an input impedance amp matched with a given preamp can result in rolled off bass and limited dynamics. I'm not saying that it will be the case with your ARC preamp, but that the only way to know is to try them together.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Checking the specs for the Hegel H30 from their website, its input impedance is 10kohm unbalanced and 20kohm balanced which is generally considered low. Therefore I would suggest trying it with the ARC 40 if possible to ensure that it performs up to your expectations. Having too low of an input impedance amp matched with a given preamp can result in rolled off bass and limited dynamics. I'm not saying that it will be the case with your ARC preamp, but that the only way to know is to try them together.

Hi audio.bill ,

Trying them together is near impossible as home trial is not commonly available in hifi retailers/distributors in Hong Kong.

And both the H30 & ARC40 are heavy and bulky. Borrowing H30 from users or bringing my ARC40 to homevisit them is difficult.

I emailed Hegel and they claimed that the pairing was OK.
But I would like to see if any members in this forum have experience of using Hegel poweramps with ARC preamps.

CK

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I have read a rule of thumb which is a minimum of 10x...so ARC at 600ohms and you want at least 6kohms for amp impedance. With CJ at 100ohms, then 10kohms seems fine. Is this a reasonable rule of thumb for us non-techies?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My good friends carry both Magico and Hegel. The S5s and the big H's sounded very good together and I'm not just saying that because they are my buddies.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
My good friends carry both Magico and Hegel. The S5s and the big H's sounded very good together and I'm not just saying that because they are my buddies.

Hi Jack : Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing