Hello from the UK

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
Greetings all. I live in Hertfordshire, which is just north of London in England.

Hi-Fi History

I live in the U.K. in a two bedroom flat (apartment). My musical tastes are mostly mellow, folk/soft rock (e.g. the Roches, Ian Matthews, Joni Mitchell) with occasional sorties into heavier rock (e.g. Barclay James Harvest, Free) and classical (e.g. string quartets, not full blown orchestral works).

My first real Hi-Fi purchase was in 1996: a Marantz CD63 KI Signature CD player, Audiolab 8000A integrated amp and B&W P4 speakers. This was set up in my living room but I knew nothing of proper speaker positioning, room interference and so on. I didn’t listen like an audiophile; I just listened!

In 2003 I decided that I wanted a better listening experience, and that this should come from headphones as I didn’t want to upset my neighbours (I’m a considerate fellow, as you can see!). So I bought a Headroom Blockhead headphone amp and balanced Sennheisser HD650 headphones. And a very nice sound I got. My ears were opened to the fact that sound improvements were possible.

A visit to someone who had a dedicated listening room and was using a TEAC P/70 and D/70 CD transport and DAC plus Shunyata Hydra 8 power conditioning and cables got me well and truly hooked on getting a better sound. On trying these with my headphones I was particularly impressed with the quiet background (black, I believe is the term used). It is something I really noticed when going back to the Marantz instead of the TEACs (the Marantz being comparatively noisy). As I’d come into some money, I bought the TEACs, Hydra and cables.

It also occurred to me that perhaps I could use my second bedroom as a listening room. The size is a bit small, 13 feet x 8 feet x 8 feet, but I put all my gear in there to give it a go. By now I knew something of speaker positioning from internet sites, but even so I was struggling to get a decent sound. At first I tried the short wall and thirds rule, but eventually the best results were by using the long wall and a nearfield arrangement. I was pleased and thought I was getting a nice sound from my speakers.

Upgradeitis is a disease a bit like malaria: it comes and goes but once you have it it‘s there for life. In 2006 I was afflicted by another bout and felt I needed to move my amp and speakers up a few sonic levels to do justice to the TEACs. I contacted my dealer, Angelsound Audio, and went round to listen in his house. I selected a couple of speakers and amps that seemed best for me and we went to my flat for more listening. My dealer was (diplomatically?) polite about the sound of my current system (saying it was ’better than expected’!) but when we hooked up his speakers and amps the sound was dreadful! One of them was so bassy that it destroyed any musicality and the other pair seemed very over powering in the treble, even when turning the speakers to face away from the listener. Conclusion: the room needed some sort of correction in the form of base traps etc..

Room acoustics, another area to study if you are to get a good sound from your system. Some research on the internet and I ended up buying and installing some Auralex foam products. This made some difference, particulary to bass boom and a tighter sound.

Whilst on my internet travels I discovered digital equalizers; Tact, DEQX and the Behringer DEQ2496. The first two are high end equalizers, the Behringer more designed for live performance and mass production. It is also about fifteen times cheaper. I decided to buy a Behringer, learn about equalizers then perhaps move on to a Tact. The Behringer has been a revelation and is the single most important piece of kit I’ve bought. It takes some mastering but once achieved, a very good sound is possible. I cannot believe that its more expensive rivals can do much better.

Now I was getting somewhere. With the TEACs, Hydra, Audiolab and B&W speakers plus Behringer and room treatment I was getting a really enjoyable sound. I still wanted a better amp and speakers. My dealer had heard the VMPS RM30’s at a show and suggested these might suit me. More nifty finger work on my keyboard led me to the VMPS site. I was impressed with the detailed notes on both sites, the reviews were good but how do I listen to them? I decided to take a big gamble, although I felt strangely confident. I would order a pair unheard. My dealer agreed and ordered a set for himself too! I also ordered a Son of Ampzilla amp as this too seemed an almost sure fire winner.

The Son of Ampzilla arrived first. My dealer came round with it and took the opportunity to hear some of his test CDs through my existing system. The improvements were good enough for him to immediately buy a Behringer! After he’d gone I installed the new amp; the proverbial veil or three were lifted off the sound. Brilliant!

And finally (finally???!) the RM30M’s arrived, my dealer bringing them round. There was no way I was going to let him set up my speakers. Anyway, he’s got his own to do! These too of course also improved things immensely.

In 2010 I decided to use my large bedroom for listening, which is 1.7 times the volume of the smaller one. It meant more work with the Behringer but I felt I again got a more then satisfactory sound.

That is, until I started reading this forum! I still am really pleased with the sound of course, but there's always that feeling it could be better isn't there.

This is my current arrangement:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome Hipper! I also live in a two-bedroom flat and have my rather humble analog setup located in the second bedroom. You've come across a great forum here at WBF, and there are many here that will want to share with you their experiences, and yes, even offer up some advice. Good people they are, these WBF'ers!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome from me also. I went to school in UK for a few months (Brighton -- don't hold it against me, I understand it is a retirement community now!). I also used to have an R&D group in Redding.

I was pleased that you did NOT get the TacT. Mine is a door stop after I had its own software try to update its firmware. Apparently, I was not supposed to do that and there is no way to get back to a working $16,000 box. While it was working, it was an enjoyable machine.

On Teac, it seems to be a more popular brand in Europe than it ever was in US.

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
Brighton - yes, a retirement area, but also noted as a haunt for the gay community (perhaps you can buy a Pink Triangle turntable there)!

I went to school in the UK for more then a few months - you were lucky to get off so lightly!

I heard the TEACs (or perhaps they should be called Esoterics) at a someone's place in the UK and he said he had bought them in the U.S.. They were very impressive, and still are to me. I'm not sure how many of the P/70s and D/70s were manufactured because it didn't seem to me they were available for that long. They cost around £10,000 in 2004.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Hipper,

I enjoyed reading the history of your journey in this hobby.

I too started in a two bedroom apartment. But since I was a bachelor then, I dedicated the combined area of the living room and dining room for my stereo.

The midrange units and high frequency units (I presume) of your speakers look very much like the ones in the Infinity speakers.

I think the people behind the original pink triangle turntable have come out with the funk firm sapphire turntable that seems to be crafted out of a solid block of acrylic.

Welcome!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Upgradeitis is a disease a bit like malaria: it comes and goes but once you have it it‘s there for life.

There is a cure, but it's tough; it's like a 12-step program. Very nice-looking system. Welcome aboard.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I was pleased that you did NOT get the TacT. Mine is a door stop after I had its own software try to update its firmware. Apparently, I was not supposed to do that and there is no way to get back to a working $16,000 box.

This is a very disturbing customer service tale if Tact offered you no help with this, regardless of warranty terms.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No help at all. He (Boz, company founder) was surprised at all that I wanted my unit working again. He said he has no parts for it at all.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
No help at all. He (Boz, company founder) was surprised at all that I wanted my unit working again. He said he has no parts for it at all.

This would be funny if it wasn't funny. He was surprised that you wanted your unit to work?? Did he think you just wanted a static display? Incredible.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It was hard to believe his reaction. He kept telling me I had no business updating the firmware. I said the unit was acting strange and the menu option was right there. Why would it break the thing? And he would keep telling me over and over again that uploading the firmware wouldn't fix that kind of problem. And he had no other revision to give me to get it to the old state.

I took the machine apart and looked on the processor board. Found a short on the pins of the flash memory. I suspect that caused the programming to get corrupted. I fixed the solder bridge I communicated that to him but he said he was busy with other things. I guess I should ping him at some point again but I am not hopeful that anything will come out of it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sorry to hear that Amir!

That is it for TacT; I will never read anymore about this company!
...From The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, Hi>Fi+, and any other Audio mags of the world!

* That was a costly journey!

Hipper, thanks for the info regarding your files (it's good that you keep your Audio files in order like that and in your listening room; I'm very similar myself).
...And your computer files, and your will as well (I'm just too young yet for a will, but another couple of years and that'll be it!). :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing