Help an amateur find an amplifier

Carl Sanders

Apr 12, 2019
Hi everyone.

I have a problem with my audio solution at home, and I thought this forum might be of help.

Suffice to say, I know very little about the subject

I have a pair of B&O Beolab S80 2s at my desk, which were up until recently powered by a Schiit Modi 2 DAC, and a Harmann Kardon BDS 270 reciever that I just used as an amplifier. Problem is, the power supply in the BDS gave up the ghost on me, and now I need to replace it with something. Now, as previously stated, I have virtually no knowledge of the subject, and I have no idea what is best for my situation. I need an amplifier (or reciever), that is powerful enough to drive the speakers and a subwoofer, with input methods for headphones, a record player, and standard RCA cables. As for the use case, I generally just use my speakers for listening to music through Spotify, watching movies, or for playing driving games on my desktop. The speakers are placed on stands on the floor next to the desk. Ideally, I would like to spend under 800 USD.

I found some specs for my speakers online

Beovox S80.2 Specifications
Type: 6434 (1984 - 1986)
RMS power handling capacity 80 watts
Music power handling capacity 110 watts
Impedance: 8 ohms
Frequency response 4+ -8 dB 50 - 22,000 Hz
Frequency response +/- 4 dB 70 - 20,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 4 watts
Distortion 250 - 1000 Hz: <1.8%
Distortion > 1000 Hz <0.7%
Woofer: 21cm, throw +/- 3 mm
Phase-link, mid-range: 7.5cm dome
Tweeter: 2.5cm dome
Net volume: 24 litre
Gross volume: 37 litre

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Bodhi

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi Carl,

Call and discuss your needs with Crutchfield. Money back guarantee and lifetime tech product support. If you can't find what you need, call Audio Advisor. Both companies are great e-companies. I prefer Crutchfield because of the lifetime tech support service.

Budget should not be an issue. If you are looking for a two channel receiver only, Outlaw RR2160 would be a good choice. Music Direct carries this product and I believe you can order directly from the factory. Also available at Amazon.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
With your budget, you can find some good finds second hand such as this Rogue Audio Sphinx integrated amp on US Audio Mart. Rogue Audio amps are well made, and this one will drive your current speakers & most speaker loads with ease. It also has a built in phono stage, variable buffered output (for driving a subwoofer or second amp) & discrete headphone amp. So it ticks all your boxes.

On the budget side (price wise) I also like an Australian manufacturer RedGum Audio who are good value & sounds musical. Just thought i'd mention them. Good luck with your search!

Last edited:

Carl Sanders

Apr 12, 2019
Hmmm.... Some good options. I'll take a look and see what kind of deals I can find.

Thanks for the help.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing